Which is the next big thing?

• 7 replies
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      The smaller mixed games.

Most holdem games are being so closed to optimally that edges are getting very small.

People have not put the same amount of effort into games like PLO8 etc so I can see these games and things like HORSE being the next best thing.
    • grindtolive
      grindtolive
      Global
      In your opinion holdem is dead?
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Holdem will never die. There will always be fish + weaker regs that good players can exploit.

The problem I see is that because the standard is getting so high. Where as before there could be a huge difference in skill between regulars, the gap is now closing. People are playing much closer to optimal and as a result edges become smaller.

Where you had a 5bb/100 edge over the average regular before, this may now only be 1bb/100 for example.

So like I said, there will always be good and bad regulars with money to be made from. Its just the difference between them wont be so vast in the future imo.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys!

I get what your saying CallumN! But aren't there only regs on those HORSE games? Usually someone who starts with poker will play with NLHE. So the fish will be on NLHE and on HORSE you will just have a bigger edge on other regs.

I've thought about this as well and I'm just wondering.

RasTweet
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Yeh its true there will be other regs, but I imagine (warning. educated guess incoming) that a lot less time and learning has been put into the other variants of poker such as razz etc.

As a result if you can play these games to a good standard you will have a much bigger edge over the regulars then you will after the same amount of studying at NLH
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CallumN
      Yeh its true there will be other regs, but I imagine (warning. educated guess incoming) that a lot less time and learning has been put into the other variants of poker such as razz etc.

As a result if you can play these games to a good standard you will have a much bigger edge over the regulars then you will after the same amount of studying at NLH
      Oh yeah I was right :s_cool:

But I guess NLHE is less swingy then all other poker variants? I don't deal with those swings very well Yet :( So I'm sticking to NLHE for now.

Thanks for your great input though!
    • mute20
      mute20
      Bronze
      plo seems to have gained quite a following by highstakes player. Naturally fish will swim with the current of their favorite player.