Adapting HU NL BSS for HU SNG

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      I'm going to start grinding HU SNGs for post-flop experience and hopefully start to get my bankroll off the ground.

Studying the HU articles which PS has to offer and was wondering, what changes from strategy outlined in the articles should I carry out in HU SNGs?

I know that in tournaments / SNGs, you don't want to exploit a minimal edge since a chip won isn't worth the same as a chip lost, so I should be opening a slightly tighter range against my opponents?

Since HU SNGs don't start with 100BB stacks (75BB on Stars), should I still be playing with low suited connectors (ex. 54s) since I can't win a 100BB stack if flop a very strong hand assuming of course, it makes sense for me to play 54s against my opponent?

I get quit stumped at push / calling ranges when down to 10BB, anybody got any good ways of improving this?

And any other help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I know that in tournaments / SNGs, you don't want to exploit a minimal edge since a chip won isn't worth the same as a chip lost, so I should be opening a slightly tighter range against my opponents?
      No, that doesn't apply heads-up unless you assume that you have a huge skill advantage already. (Btw, you do not gain a large skill advantage by passing up small advantages.) When there are multiple players left, two players who collide may be losing out to the other players by giving up some of their shares of second place. That's not an issue when you are heads-up.

When you play HU SNGs, I think you should tend to be looser than in cash games at the same depth because there is no rake taken per hand, and the rake is a huge factor in HU cash games except at very high stake levels.

Obviously the stack depth matters and affects the implied odds as well as the 3-bet 4-bet 5-bet game.

I don't know what you mean by "quit stumped." Did you mean "quite stumped?" Look at the Nash equilibrium, see how your opponents play compared with this (they are usually too tight), and adjust.