[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 AQ top two vs turn 3bet

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $53.43 (106.9 bb)
      MP: $90.91 (181.8 bb)
      CO: $74.59 (149.2 bb)
      BTN: $50.20 (100.4 bb)
      SB: $54.44 (108.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:diamond: A:spade:
      MP folds, CO raises to $1.20, BTN folds, SB calls $0.95, Hero calls $0.70

Flop: ($3.60) 8:heart: Q:club: A:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($3.60) 3:spade: (3 players)
      SB bets $2.50, Hero raises to $7, CO folds, SB raises to $14, Hero calls $7

River: ($31.60) T:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $20, Hero calls $20

Would he really play this way with A8/A3? In retrospective I really doubt it and I expect his range to be here 88/33, vey narrow but he I have not even one reason to believe that he is doing any move here, especially without history.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DeMarcohsp,

Even as long his play seems like a strong hand it's kind of difficult to fold with our hand, especially if he still could even come up with those hands.

Although myself I'd most likely just start betting right no the flop myself, what do you plan to do there Check/Raise? If he doesn't have a hand he wont be betting anyways and nor they wont pay you later on. Although you could maybe even protect from some GSs.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      1) 3bet preflop seems better?

2) I just call turn because it looks strong and he will fold a lot of Ax which will valuebet river probably.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) 3bet preflop seems better?

Usually yes vs unknown and vs small open-raise. But of course depends also on the dynamics, usually vs just one opponent I wouldn't mind the Call but rather vs both opponents I'd squeeze.

2) I just call turn because it looks strong and he will fold a lot of Ax which will valuebet river probably.

To avoid exactly such spots that we missing some value I'd bet the flop, bet the turn & bet the river.

If you call the turn then what's the plan on river? Also Call down? There are enough of cards which we actually don't want to see, 9/J/T/K -> can't raise for value anymore. Therefore I don't mind picking the thin value on the turn already while our line looks also pretty polarized and we might see hero-calls even with Ax.