Bi Monthly Update - simpleman61

• simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello everyone Simpleman61 here,it is great to be on this forum! This blog is my attempt to chronicle my journey from total fish to who knows. I will share very honestly my attempt to learn this great game of No limit Hold em.

First a little about me,never had any poker experience per say till last week. I have watched it on the tube and found it somewhat interesting. So I have decided to jump in with both fins,OOPS sorry feet and give it a whirl.

I have a backgammon background,gambled a fair bit with that with decent success. Snooker was another vice as far as the betting comes in to play. Now the Snooker background will not help me in poker but the gammon being strictly probability and stats may be of some use I feel. The only use I can see from the Snooker it gave me incredible ability to concentrate for a long period of time,that can not be bad?

So down to it,first week after getting the first instalment from Poker Strategy. Well followed the starting hands guide and stayed at the .1,.2 cent table. Tried my best to follow the players habits and such. It took 1158 hands to deplete my first 10.00 of the 50.00 dollar bonus. Not to bad I guess but found myself in situations that I was unsure of and over the course of the 1158 hands that's where the 10.00 went.

I love to learn and have went to the forum to help with the many questions that I had. When I ran in to a area that confused me,I made a note of it and tried to find the answer myself thru the forum. Many of my concerns answers where there and I look forward to implementing them on the next 10.00.

So that's it,I will never have any excuses or bad luck stories. There seems to be enough of that to go around LOL.But any help or direction I can receive from anyone in a constructive manner I am all ears. I would like to learn correctly the first time instead of installing bad habits now.

Sorry for the novel,just wanted to let everyone know of my intent. Will keep you posted on the next attempt,hopefully can increase the 1158 hands and start to move in a positive direction.

Thanks and any suggestions would be great,Simpleman61
  • 16 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Welcome to the Blog Section Simpleman61!

I've never understood Backgammon, then again, I've never tried :f_biggrin:

Losing your first $10 is not a worry, you've probably learnt alot by doing so & hopefully you will be able to resolve some of the sticky situations a bit better when they pop up again:)

We also have a NL Beginners Course, have you heard about it?
      It starts out teaching you the basics of poker, such as which hands you should be playing and from which position, then moving onto the simple maths of Odds/Outs which you you should be comfortable with due to your Backgammon history. The course will also direct you to the most appropriate Articles & Videos to get you on the path of success ASAP! :s_cool:
      You'll also be able to speak with our Coach Veriz in your own Locker Room Thread and ask him about anything that troubles you or that you don't understand.
      There is also a weekly Coaching sessions where you can watch Veriz play whilst he explains his moves!

I wish you the best of luck in your Poker Career,, now go catch some fish! :f_p:
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello Simpleman61 here!

This is just a fast addition to my journey from newbie to who knows.Recieved 2nd 10.00 installment from Poker Strategy, thanks for that and here are results!

Played @ ,1 ,2 cent again and played approx 400 hands today.With much better results.Far less uncomfortable in many hands that had caused me concerns b4.Also turned a small profit,yes a profit LOL.

Played very well compared to my last session!Thanks to much research from the forums and videos! There are still many concerns such as defending blinds or is there such a thing?Also playing big hands to extract the most from them.instead of all in and hope for the best.The art of betting just the correct amount is very skillfull.and I am still in need of more skill.

So on a scale of one to ten my first 1158 hand session I would rate a a 1,and this last session I would have to say around a 2.0 to 2.5.So very pleased with the more control of things that I had today.And learning the importance of position,as I actually bluffed today against much better players than myself.Althought I tryed on one attempt to fire a third bullet with air today,and It was ugly but I tryed.LOL,LOL AND ONE MORE LOL.

So thats it thats all for now .Will continue to study,and work hard at all my weak points.And there are many, but we are starting to fix them and with the info on the forums and videos who knows.

Much less of a fish and only getting stronger! But still fish like LOL

SIMPLEMAN61
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogs section simpleman61 :) glad to read about your success!

Have you started to use any software to track your progress and post hands for discussions?

Are you playing at Poker770? Don't forget about the bankroll booster $100 daily freerolls we have exclusively to PokerStrategists :)

Ingrid
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello to everyone!

Simpleman61 here for a fast update on my progress.Things are getting better with my desicion making,thanks to all the hours I have spent consuming the videos and postings.

Have learned so much that it is scary.Have really been happy with the implementation of the new knowledge,and the results it brings! I have stated in last insert that in last 400 hand 1 table session that a small profit was realized.Well todays 380 hand session 1 table .1 .2 cent nlh produced a massive(to me) 9.89 profit.

It is due to not playing hands that I should not be in,and also players that where actually worse than me.This brings my total from my secound 10.00 bonus from Poker Strategy to $22.19,truely amazing.Very proud of this as there was no really big scores just some solid,grind it out but still aggresive play.

So thats it back to reading and learning all I can and try to squeeze in 400 hands per day.Will keep everyone posted on next session,very pleased with my rate of improving!Any tips on a good program that I may chart my play so that better players can point out my errors would be great.Thanks Simpleman61
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Simpleman61,

Welcome to our blogs section :) how was your weekend then?

Ingrid
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Ingrid thanks for the welcome!

Took the dog running,and spent the rest of the weekend watching some world class snooker on the net.Played some cards but not to much.Did some reading about poker and also watched some videos on the same.

I hope your weekend was great!!!

Off to play a few hundred hands tonight,and we will see if I can implement some things I have learned on the weekend.

Once again ty.

Simpleman61
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      dog?! You must put up some pic for us here :)

Try to post some hands, so we can see how you're doing.
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello to all Simpleman61 here.First of all thanks to all that helped me correct my attempt at posting a photo of my dog!

Now on to the poker progress? Well my hands played total is closing in on 6k.I only play one table 6 players.I have recorded two straight winning sessions untill today, then the wheels fell off.Today was very hard as I recorded a 10.00 dollar loss.Second best hands all day, and I tryed to remain patience and calm to allow me to make the best desicions possible.

However a loss is still a loss and there was much learned from this.One of the most important things I have discovered is aggression is key! So having said that control of said aggression is even more key LOL,LOL and what the hell LOL.
      To find that perfect balance point is tough so more research on this is in order for me I think.

So that is all for now,time to hone some math skills.To learn how to correctly determine using calculation on what is the correct play.As with backgammon prob and stats,it does not mean it will work but at least you have a percentage of times it should work and that info is huge .So took a step back today.but I feel that two steps forward will come after some more learning.Thanks for stopping in.And have a great day to all,Simpleman61
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello to all Simpleman61 here for a fast update.Well I just hit my 9k hands played,and was slapped around today like a red headed step child.Posting a massive 10.00 dollar loss. I had a good day yesterday and battled back from a loss the day before,but today sent me back to the loss status.

One of the many problems I am having is playing certain hands to strong and then only to release them after I get re bet.I am trying very hard to learn this game and from no experiance at all I think I have picked up lots of info.But everyone keeps talking about posting hands and charting play to see on paper where my leaks are.I would like very much for that to happen,so if there is some suggestions on how to go about this I am all ears.

Also as per the title for this blog.I thought that No Limit texas hold em was sick.I just spent the last hour or so watching 100/200 Omaha on Poker Stars,all I can say is that is some crazy azz stuff for sure LOL.These players have more ups and downs than a bi polar trampoline artist,just frickin insane!!

So thats it,thats all will try to learn more and get back to the plus side! And please if any suggestions on a program for tracking hands and being able to chart my play please advise.Thanks in advance,back to fish status for now but I will not quit.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey simpleman61, hows the poker coming along? No updates for us? :(

Set yourself any goals to aim for? :]
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello to all!!!
      Have not posted for awhile,and had a bit of idle time so here it is. We are still in action from the 50.00 bonus from PokerStrategy.Account is at only 60.00 but was down to 25.00 and brought it up to the currant balance.

Have played over 18k hands so far,and have begun to use Holdem Manager,and leak buster.When I first installed it and ran leak buster approx a month ago,I had so many leaks a plummer could retire from the repairs he would have to do!

Now I still have many areas to improve upon but have cut down on many glaring mistakes that I was doing.This is a great program and learning so much from it that is what I can credit the upswing in the account.All of these fixes that I have learned sure makes the game far less of a struggle and a million times easier to feel more confident that the correct play was executed.

So thats it,we will try to post once a month as I realize that my exploits are very low stakes and not that exciting!But will keep on learning and trying my best to make the correct choices.And as long as I can do that the rest will fall into place with lots of studying and more table time!!
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Hello ,just a fast update.Have not posted for a bit,but here I go.

Ihave played 25k hands and with the starting 50.00 supplied from P.S Ihave 65.00 in the acct.This is not that much but was down to under 40.00 at around 15k hands.

Have watched a fair bit of video and also consumed a fair bit of reading.There is so much to this game!

Have been making fewer errors,and finding myself handling the many differant styles of players much better.Also trying to bet size correctly to extract value from my hands.Very happy with the progress and will continue to study!

I have a way of melding exercise with poker.Every time I make a bad play I do 20 push ups 20 sit ups and some sets with dumbells.Man am I getting in good shape LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all for now,will post again in a month or so.
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Well just a fast update!

I have played now 30k hands and 5k since my last update.I have since tryed to play 3 tables at a time,it seems to be working.As I have been recording a few positive sessions.

My total is 90.00,up from 65.00 two weeks ago.This has been a shock to me as I have really tryed hard to implement all of the things I have been learning.The key for me was to much passive play and the importance of properly playing position.Although I feel that I still need much more improvment in this and all areas,a couple of videos from Poker Strategy really sunk home.

So soon I will have cleared my 50.00 rake mandate,and will still stay with the proper bank roll managment guide lines.I have progressed at a nice rate from never playing before and with more studying and patience who knows?

Still many positions are troublesome for me,but I write them down and try to find the answer.I have had a blast learning,and some things are starting to make perfect sense.Thanks for stopping in.
      And if you can please give to your local food bank,not preaching just saying!!!!!!!!!!!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi there simpleman61,

I just wanted to inform you that I've merged all your other blogs entry into this one thread. Please use only one thread in order to help us follow your progress :)

Welcome to our blogs section and good luck at the tables!
      Ingrid
    • simpleman61
      simpleman61
      Bronze
      Ingrid,thanks for fixing that.

Also will be sure to just add on to existing thread,I was starting new one everytime! LOL
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      No problems at all :) its easier for you and everyone else to see whats been happening before you current posts. Best of luck and try to post some hands, thoughts of yours so you learn something each week by discussing it here with us. :) just an idea of course.