Always bust before money 45man

• 8 replies
    • Bunn3yB0y
    • kurrkabin
      Hi, Econom1sta!

Since, SnG discussion forum covers MT SnGs up to 27 players,
      I will just move your thread to the tournament section where you can get answer from experienced MTT players. Good luck!
    • rhinoneil
      Its hard to say without some more info but in general I would say that in 45s you should be playing tight aggressive poker, play very good starting hands only early on and loosen up in later stages but retain the aggression. Passive play in these tournies is rarely good.
      Perhaps you can post your stats for these tournies so they can be analysed a bit more?
    • gavinonymous
      I also play the 45's often.

On the 1$'s I imagine you have fewer spots to be first in with a shove.

In that case I'd be shoving over high blind limpers wider, and calling all ins from desperate shoves a bit wider. If I'm short enough I'll be calling shoves from 'regs' that are also desperate - so I can also call with a wider range.

Shoving over limpers at high blinds with antes adds up fast I don't expect too much fold equity though so I make sure to have at least some kind of hand :) Think of the ranges the other players might be limping/raising or shoving with and adjust.

I advise steal blinds more, abuse limpers (until you notice they are trappy) and loosen up with higher blinds

p.s. when you have a huge edge at your limit postflop, there's a lot more juicy fish early and I don't mind playing a few more hands with them, even out of position to possibly double up early, so I try to play loose and passive against the aggressive fish, value bet the calling stations and try to give the weak tight players all kinds of trouble. I think the early game is full of $EV, mainly due to the poorer quality players. they do have to donate their chips to someone.. It's always easier to play when I have 3-5k chips as the blinds hit 200.
    • Econom1sta
      Thanks guys for insight.

I don't have enough history to make a relevant sample but I'll sure post it after a while.

I'm playing too tight obviously, need to loosen up a bit. I wait for a good hand most of the time and imo it's a wrong way for the late stage, it's probably better to enter a coin flip as an aggressor than a shortstack with a wide range.
    • Castle93
      at the $1, when i used to play when i just used to play TAG but id play a lot of spec. hand, SC, suited 1 gappers, any pp because people will stack of light, and are yu valuing betting enough? fish at those stakes dont like to fold TP/second pair
    • ipeaceonu
      You are busting before the money, clearly this is what you are doing wrong :P
    • Vito992
      Try floating a bit more, it could be helpful ;)