• 2 replies
    • vetani
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Love of the game, really. I've always liked card games, used to play them with my family when I was younger. Started playing some poker with a couple of friends and it was a lot of fun. Took me quite some time to really get into it, though. I feel like I'm on the verdge of really getting it.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My biggest mistake as far as I know is not folding while I know I'm beat. I get too attached to my cards. I've already been working on this, but my biggest lost pots should have always been folded by me at some point. I just sit there, thinking "he has a set/full house/straight/flush, I'm clearly beat, why would I call this?" And then I call...

I also find it difficult to play longer sessions. When I run bad/make bad calls, I don't get tilted as in starting to spew chips, I just loose interest and shut down all tables. Even though this probably saved me quite some money, I should be able to look past those bad beats/mistakes and continue playing my A game. Most of my sessions consists of 200-500 hands.

I don't evaluate my play enough.

I also get distracted very easily while playing poker. My phone rings, someone talks on skype, and my focus is gone for a moment.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

For me, playing tight aggressive poker means only playing when your in position and your pocket cards are at the very least decent. Your line down the streets consist of betting rather than calling/checking (ofcourse, depending on the flop). On NL2, where I play, there's rarely any value to get from slowplaying, unless you have a very accurate read on villain.

Tight agressive poker works because you stay out of pots where your an underdog. You only get your money in when you're ahead, therefore making profit in the long run.
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

About playing long sessions I wouldn't say it's bad. For some players it suits much better to hold like 45 min session and then small break and then another 45 min and so on. If you have such a tilty phase as you described then for yo might even work out shorter sessions and several of them. With time you will get better and you can always start playing longer sessions but give it time cause poker isn't a game what you learn over the night, it takes months/years to at least get some kind of understanding in the game. Also don't forget that you will continue learning in the future as well, there is always something new to learn.

Analyzing your session is very important role in your game, one of the main ways to get better and more confident. Don't you want to be confident during your play? For example I am pretty sure you ask often during the game "what should I do now?". But if you analyze more your hands, discuss them which will just lead towards getting more confident and you will know more and more situations what to do and why. Therefore rather start right now before you getting the stupid habit not to evaluate at all.

Distraction is another problem for you, especially if you have problems with tilt then I am pretty sure that you also get tilted before the those distractions sometimes. Therefore rather try to avoid them and concentrate on your game. Try to focus as much as you can and always remind yourself what you are doing on the tables. We are trying to learn the game and someday even maybe earn some extra money. How else we going to do it if not concentrating more on it. Also what helps against tilt for example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.