OH8 books

• 6 replies
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      While it's not specifically geared to tournament play, Jeff Hwang's Omaha Big Play Strategy is an excellent book for both Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo.

I would also recommend Bob Ciaffone's "Omaha Poker". Stay away from Sammy Farha's book.

Also, if you can grind your way to Gold status, Phil Shaw has two videos on Omaha Hi/Lo that give a very solid grounding in the game:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/22260 - Theory
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/22285 - Practice

Hope this helps!
    • Ebbnflow
      Ebbnflow
      Bronze
      Thanks Matt I've added them to my Amazon wishlist.

:)
    • RedHeater
      RedHeater
      Bronze
      The book by Ray Zee is well thought of for limit o8. I have bought it for my kindle but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

Is it limit Omaha Hi/Lo you want to play?
    • Ebbnflow
      Ebbnflow
      Bronze
      Mainly limit, yes, but not exclusively. I'd like to get better at PL/NL too.

I've been reading 'How to win at Omaha High-Low Poker' by Mike Cappelletti and found that useful for sound limit strategy, but it's mostly cash game related. I'd like a bit more help with tournaments.
    • FeliciaLee
      FeliciaLee
      Basic
      Originally posted by RedHeater
      The book by Ray Zee is well thought of for limit o8. I have bought it for my kindle but I haven't got around to reading it yet.
      This is an excellent book for LO8. But please keep in mind, Ray wrote that book way before the poker boom, before the O8 boom, when poker was practically dead. It must be adjusted for today's game. While Ray might have advocated folding the absolute nut low before any betting took place, knowing he was going to get quartered or worse, today that would be a horrible lay down. If you like to think deeply about poker and theory this is still a wonderful text. If you want to be informed about how to play in today's LO8 climate and just follow textbook strategy this book is not for you.

Cheers!

Felicia :)
    • FeliciaLee
      FeliciaLee
      Basic
      Originally posted by EbbnflowI'd like a bit more help with tournaments.
      I know Steve Badger personally. While tournament O8/PLO8/PLO strategy is specialized a bit, overall tournament strategy remains basically the same. Steve is not only good with tournament strategy, he is from the LA area where cash games play much like tournaments. He also links quite a few sites and essays about great tournament strategy from others. There are many treasures to be found on this page. I have also over the years dissected a lot of Steve's different tournament and cash game essays and made them into wholly new essays altogether. He is an Omaha expert. The essays are both on my site and 2+2. Hopefully Euon and Ribbo will find them useful and re-post them here. If not, I'll provide a link, or you can message me on PS and I'll direct you. Good luck!

Cheers!