sngWizard and satellites

• bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Hi

I've been playing the 6max satellites on stars where the top 2 places pay a ticket and everyone else gets nothing. I started using sngwiz to analyse a few hands.

I was just wondering is this something I should be blindly trusting? The ranges seem pretty reasonable up to now but I just wanted to get a second opinion.

this is the hand that made me wonder, I thought the range it gave seemed a little loose here

• 5 replies
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Hey man.
      SNG wizard is essentially a calculator. You input some data (ranges) and it gives you an outcome (push/fold). If the ranges are wrong that means the answer (push/fold) will be wrong as well.
      That said, SNG wizard ranges are way off most of the times so you have to adjust them manually. The decision of calling or folding with KT depends on the ranges of the other players. So let’s consider their ranges.

SNG wiz gives a 70% range for the player on the button. Lets look at the situation from his perspective. He has 660 which is just over 2.5 BB. If he doesn’t push now, he is going to be in the BB next hand with just 1.5 BB behind, therefore if the Big Stack or HERO push on him he will be forced to call with almost anything. Best case scenario for the short stack player if he folds on the button now, is that the Big stack pushes, HERO calls and HERO loses the hand and busts out. However this is highly unlikely, especially if HERO is a competent player.

Therefore it's quite likely that he is on wide range. To determine his range we can use the process of elimination. We can take off the bottom 30-25% of the hand range as he wouldn’t be pushing with 72 or 106 and include the top 25-30% of his range which is any pair, any ace and high cards. This leaves us with a range of 30%-70%. If he was very aggressive throughout the game his range will be wider than if he was very passive. In conclusion without any more info on the player on the BTN, I believe that a range of 50% would be reasonable. So you might want to reduce his range on SNG wizard

The range for the player on the BB is pre-set at 7%. However he is not so much risk averse to justify such a tight range as even if he calls and loses the hand he will still have 800 chips, which are more than HERO. If the situation was different, let’s say BTN/BB had 3000 and HERO had 300 then he would be on a very tight range. In addition, he is getting odds of 2.5 to 1 as he will be risking 400 to win 1000. Therefore a 7% range is 77+,AJ+ is wrong, I don’t thing he would be folding a hand like 66, AT or even KQs. The least he would be calling there is 15-20%.

Recap: don’t blindly trust the ranges of SNG wizard but use your own judgement to assign ranges to each player. You can use the graph function which is next to the calculator on the top right of sng wizard to see how your calling range will change depending on the pushing range of your opponent. One last thing, if you called and villain had AA, this doesn’t mean that he is pushing 1%. What it means is that this specific time he had AA but he could still be on a 70% range as he would do the same thing with a hand like J3

Hope this helped.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      that's very solid response. pretty much everything I needed, Thanks for that.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      You are welcome mate
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maritsula

The range for the player on the BB is pre-set at 7%.
      as far as im aware in the given situation the 6,9% range is for an overcall, not that it matters much, just wanted to clarify that. Your post is great anyway!
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      actually yeah 6.9 is to tight to call if hero folds

it must be to OC, even though then it seems too loose