Need Some Advice

• BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hey All,

I don’t if you know my Blog Grinding for a Future... Big Al's Poker Blog... I am trying to be a Pro Poker player I have been doing this since probably September 2009. When I got serious grinding up from $100 I had on Party playing CGs SNGs and MTTs I got my BR to around $2200 toward the middle of last year. After Pokerfest MTT series on Party I decided that I should just stick to 1 game so I chose SNGs, because I didn’t think it was possible t clear Bonuses playing CGs or MTTs.

So playing solely SNGs I was doing quit well thanks to Party Poker World Domination Promo I eventually got my BR up to $3300 and made my very first Poker Cash out. This felt so good, I cashed out ~$880 which meant my BR was $2420 again which is 10BIs for $22s on Party, but then I was hit by the 9th of December.

Since the 9th of December I have hardly won anything and see my BR shrink all the time my BR got down to ~$1500 I took a week off between Xmass and New Years to get my mind fresh. I continued on Party for awhile I was pretty BE swinging between $1300 and $1600. I was getting really sick of Regs and the Blind structure on Party and I wanted to get SNG Wiz without buying it so I decided to get it through the SNG Wiz Site.

I chose Red Kings Poker Room on Ongame Network because I had heard good things about this skin. So on the 6th of May I moved there to get SNG Wiz and clear $500 FDB things were ok but again I was BE swinging between $1300 and $1600. When I cleared the FDB I was offered a special champions Bonus for getting Top20 points on some leader board, I got to choose a Bonus between $100-$2000. I chose a Bonus of $950 would be the max I could grind out.

Things were going well my BR was around $1800 and I got my BR up to $2180 before I was sent on a sharp downward spiral again. I started having some really bad days and long story short my BR got back down to $1300 again, but it didn’t stop there oh no. Snow my BR is just over $900 and hardly have a winning day I'm working hard on my game but nothing really seems to be working I have had to drop down to $5s and if I want to clear the last 2 increments of the $950 Bonus I have to grind like 12hrs a day (probably more because my mind is so bad that I cant play today).

Today feels like the straw that broke the camels back, after just a few games my mental game was gone I was thinking about all the stuff I am writing while I was playing which is obv not good. I feel like I'm faced with few options and I am really struggling. It feels hard justifying playing poker for a livening when I am not making any money.

The Reason I stoped playing CGs and MTTs is I thought with my nitty style and most sites shifting to WC rake that I would never be able to clear any bonuses and I'm not certain that I was a Winning player, and MTTs I was doing very well most of my BR was built from MTTs but again I wasn’t sure if my style was good enough because I play a really tight game and also I wanted to get fit so I thought that it was really hard to schedule around MTTs since they go all day.

I will post graphs of CGs and MTTs. The things is I love all the different types of poker I have played apart from HUSNGs and now I'm starting to dislike STTs.

Any advice would be awesome I feel I have 5 options atm.

A-Just Grind it through and keep working hard eventually you will get through it.
      B-Just clear this increment of the Bonus because I have all ready got through most of it, and then move to Party or Stars.
      C-DW about the Bonus go back to Part or Stars
      D-do either B or C and then Quit SNGs and play either CGs or MTTs
      E-Quit Poker and get a Job.

Here are my SNG graphs

All Games since 9th of December

Party Poker Games since 9th of December

Red Kings Games since 9th of December

Games before 9th of Decmber

So yer those are the SNG graphs

Here is my Lifetime CG and MTT Graphs

CGs

MTTs

Ok now that you have read through all that (I know it wasent fun) any help would be much apreciated. So heres a colection of all th threadsavers I have ever posted.

• 12 replies
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      looking at the graphs you seem to be playing worse espacially after starting playing at redkings. Perhaps your not adapting well to the structure of the sng's on that site and hence your loosing or it could be something. At least it apears you got some big leaks in your game. It is just a geuss though looking at the graphs since I haven't seen you play. Still what you could do is one ( or more) of the following:

1. get a job, you still could play poker in your free time at least this way you aren't dependened on your pokerresult which might help getting a new perpective on the game>
      2. take a break, when coming back go through all the articles and rewatch some of the most inportant video's maybe over time without noticing your game changed for the worse, practice the icm and analyse hands and post hands of spots your not sure about if you played correctly. It never bad to get ack to basic and really look if the way you play now is the correct way to go. Also you might not want to play 12 hours long since it might have trouble concentrating properly which in turn might result in not playing your A-game anymore.
      3. change to CG and tournament's. If this is the game you enjoy the most your most likely much better off playing these and trying to improve your play in these games. Your most likely more motivated to improve in these games then just playing SnG for rakeback and bonusses anyway.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      looking at the graphs you seem to be playing worse espacially after starting playing at redkings. Perhaps your not adapting well to the structure of the sng's on that site and hence your loosing or it could be something. At least it apears you got some big leaks in your game. It is just a geuss though looking at the graphs since I haven't seen you play. Still what you could do is one ( or more) of the following:

1. get a job, you still could play poker in your free time at least this way you aren't dependened on your pokerresult which might help getting a new perpective on the game>
      2. take a break, when coming back go through all the articles and rewatch some of the most inportant video's maybe over time without noticing your game changed for the worse. It never bad to get ack to basic and really look if the way you play now is the correct way to go. Also you might not want to play 12 hours long since it might have trouble concentrating properly which in turn might result in not playing your A-game anymore.
      3. change to CG and tournament's. If this is the game you enjoy the most your most likely much better off playing these and trying to improve your play in these games. Your most likely more motivated to improve in these games then just playing SnG for rakeback and bonusses anyway.
      I dont think I have any major leaks maybe it is the fact that I havent ajusted properly to the structure but I think i'm playing solid style that PS teaches.

1. I dont really want to get a job because I am not really good at anything else and I dont want to work for somebody else again.
      2.I cant really afford to take a break because of this bonus and I have to start makeing some money
      3. Its not that I dont enjoy SNGs is just how its been lately, as I said I dont think my games are good enough in CGs or MTTs.

Thanks for posting.
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Def get a job and ditch the poker.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there,

I'd love to help you and I have some ideas (or other options) in mind already, but first I need to ask you some questions that I think are relevant to the subject.

1. What is your vision (And being a poker pro isn't enough, be specific - how do you see yourself in 10 years in different roles - as a family member, as a partner, as a friend and in your career)?

2. What does your average day look like?

3. How many hours per week do you invest in studying articles and watching videos?

4. How many hands a week do you post in the hand evaluation section?

5. How frequently do you review/analyse your sessions and what does that look like?

6. How much do you grind each day and what does that look like?

7. What do you feel that are your biggest 3 problems that you are facing (from the things that you can effect - running bad, bad results don't count)?

8. Do you have any other sources of income?

9. Do you live alone (have bills to pay, etc.) or are you still at home?

10. What are your monthly expenses?

11. How much do you think that you need to make a month in order to make a comfortable living?

12. How much money do you have saved for the living expenses (how many months of living expenses do you have in your savings account)?

13. How much do you really want to become a poker pro? How bad do you want it?

13 seems like a nice number, I'll stop there. Please take time and answer the questions in as much detail as possible.

-SF
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Def get a job and ditch the poker.
      But why get a job when there so much that poker offers espcialy in the current ecnomic climate where it is so hard to get a job unless I wanted to go to the mines.

+ as I said earlier I dont think I'm good enough at anything else to get a job, I was only good at the job I had and they Fed me around and thats why I dont want to work for the man again.
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there,

I'd love to help you and I have some ideas (or other options) in mind already, but first I need to ask you some questions that I think are relevant to the subject.

1. What is your vision (And being a poker pro isn't enough, be specific - how do you see yourself in 10 years in different roles - as a family member, as a partner, as a friend and in your career)? Well this is intersting 10 years in difrent rolls.

Family Man-Dont really see my self being setled in 10 years but you never know. If I were to settle down I would like to provide for whoever.Friend-Well I would want to be there for my friends just like they have been there for me.

2. What does your average day look like?-ok this is a fun one

4am Wake up
      4am-4:30 Warm up by doing simulations in ICM Trainer

around 6am have my first break have a cup of green tea and an apple

6:15-Start next set play for an hour then have a short break for about 5 mins then go again

7am 3rd set same as 2nd set

inbetween 9-10am have breakfast which is an omlet every day

10am- Grind till 1130 and then I'm done for the day

1130am till 1pm go through my hands from the session

1pm-4pm Gym (my sessions at the Gym take ages because I'm cutting weight but I'm nearly at my goal weight so my gym sessions will be considerbly shorter.

After Gym-Shower and lunch then after that watch a SNG Vid and do some sort reading study e.g read Mental Game of Poker on Tuseday-Thurday

6pm- day is done pokerwise on tuseday and thurday I go to footy training which I get to bed at 10pm which is not ideal becuse I like atleast 8hrs sleep.
      Wednesday I will goo to sleep at 8pm, on Monday and Friday I watch the footy sometimes I wont watch monday if I'm tired or its a really dud game.

On the Weekend I dont to andy Study or reviwing because I am either with my local team or watching the fotty on TV + Gym

3. How many hours per week do you invest in studying articles and watching videos?-It should be I would say about 5-6hrs all up

4. How many hands a week do you post in the hand evaluation section?-Not as many as would like proberly about <10 a week.

5. How frequently do you review/analyse your sessions and what does that look like?- Monday-Friday for about an hr I have it set out like this.

Monday-Reg Review
      Tuseday-7-10 Handed
      Wednesday-5-6 Handed
      Thurday-3-4 Handed
      Friday-HU

6. How much do you grind each day and what does that look like?-Well usualy I would say my day looks like 4am-1130am with breaks and stuff.

7. What do you feel that are your biggest 3 problems that you are facing (from the things that you can effect - running bad, bad results don't count)?

1- I feel like there is not enough hrs in the day
      2- The ammount of time it takes at the gym
      3- procrastnation because of my love of reading Poker news and Rugby League news

8. Do you have any other sources of income?-Nope just poker.

9. Do you live alone (have bills to pay, etc.) or are you still at home?-Live at home with no bills.

10. What are your monthly expenses?-Nothing atm,

11. How much do you think that you need to make a month in order to make a comfortable living?-Not really sure but I have not singed on for footy yet which is $160 start up and $20 a week I have allready paid for my gym mebership uptill Jan next year.

12. How much money do you have saved for the living expenses (how many months of living expenses do you have in your savings account)?-I have this money that I got for my 18th Birthday which I use spareingly I will use that to sgn on to Footy.

13. How much do you really want to become a poker pro? How bad do you want it?-I really want to I would not of dedicated so much time if I didnt want it. I cant really think of many other ptions for me.

13 seems like a nice number, I'll stop there. Please take time and answer the questions in as much detail as possible.

-SF
      Thanks for this such an awsome questioner, this idearly what my scedual looks like.

Thanks for posting!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Ok, I have a couple of more questions:

1. If you could solve those three problems from the question 7 (basically have more time), what would you do?

2. How often do you do sweat sessions?

3. How often do you discuss strategies with other people?

4. Have you purchased and poker coachings?

5. What are your concentration levels during the session? Are they good or do you browse the internet and do similar stuff?
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Ok, I have a couple of more questions:

1. If you could solve those three problems from the question 7 (basically have more time), what would you do?-Well I would be able to put more time into studyig because sometime I run out of time to get it all done.

2. How often do you do sweat sessions?-Havenent done any sweat session because my internet is to slow everytime I have tried.

3. How often do you discuss strategies with other people?-Well not really that much I posted a couple of Qs in the SNG forum, but I havent exactly talked deeply with anyone on skype.

4. Have you purchased and poker coachings?-No I thought it would be best to build my BR to say enough to play $55s then get coaching.

5. What are your concentration levels during the session? Are they good or do you browse the internet and do similar stuff?-Most of the time they are good but sometimes I can lose it when I start after breaks and towards the end of the set when the number of tables has been reduced.
      Sorry it took so long to reply internets been outta action most of yesterday.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Ok, since you live with your parents, you don't have any monthly expenses and you don't have to give up on poker just yet.

If you might need to live by yourself soon (within a year), I would suggest getting a part time job and saving for 6 months-1 year of living expenses (while still playing some poker). If you have a couple of years more of free living, you can give poker some more time.

You're already doing better than 90% of people in terms of lifestyle etc.(be proud of yourself!), but I can still give you some advice that you can apply:

1. Invest into faster internet if possible
      2. Join a skype study group, find a buddy at similar limits, discuss strategies, review hands together, do some sweat sessions if possible
      3. Get a coach, if you can lose $1k+, you can afford $65 for a coaching session. Make sure to prepare some questions and identify your troublesome areas prior to the coaching so that you can get the most out of it.
      4. Stick to conservative BRM and the limits that you're sure you can beat.

I think the biggest thing that you can do to solve your problems is to work on your game even more, seek ways to improve constantly, and cooperate with other people.

Don't worry about the downswing too much, it will end, and the more you improve your game, the less a continuum of a downswing is possible (because you'll make even less bad decisions) :) .

I hope this helps,

-SF
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Ok, since you live with your parents, you don't have any monthly expenses and you don't have to give up on poker just yet.

If you might need to live by yourself soon (within a year), I would suggest getting a part time job and saving for 6 months-1 year of living expenses (while still playing some poker). If you have a couple of years more of free living, you can give poker some more time.

You're already doing better than 90% of people in terms of lifestyle etc.(be proud of yourself!), but I can still give you some advice that you can apply:

1. Invest into faster internet if possible
      2. Join a skype study group, find a buddy at similar limits, discuss strategies, review hands together, do some sweat sessions if possible
      3. Get a coach, if you can lose $1k+, you can afford $65 for a coaching session. Make sure to prepare some questions and identify your troublesome areas prior to the coaching so that you can get the most out of it.
      4. Stick to conservative BRM and the limits that you're sure you can beat.

I think the biggest thing that you can do to solve your problems is to work on your game even more, seek ways to improve constantly, and cooperate with other people.

Don't worry about the downswing too much, it will end, and the more you improve your game, the less a continuum of a downswing is possible (because you'll make even less bad decisions) :) .

I hope this helps,

-SF
      I want to move out by the time I turn 22 which is November this year, so if I want to do that should I find a Job?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      In that case, it'd probably be beneficial to get a part time job for like 20 hours a week and save for the living expenses (don't blow the money on useless stuff), yes (while you keep playing poker).

This way, you can still focus a lot on poker, but with less pressure and frustration in case you run bad. Worst case scenario: In November, you'll have 6 months of living expenses and a decent bankroll (you can't really go broke with proper BRM).

A way more likely scenario is that you will improve your game, your BR will grow and you will also have earned the 6 months of living expenses. Then, you can perhaps start thinking about leaving the part time job and actually playing poker for a living.

This is in my opinion the safest, least stressful and frustrating and considerably fun option, especially if you get a part time job doing something you like. I hope everything works out well for you.

Good luck,

-SF
    • BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Ok man thanks for your advice its been very helpfull, for now I have alot to think about...Job Coaching etc..

Chears