[NL2-NL10] NL5 JTs - as a monster flush draw

• eXtremeACE
      Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , T:spade:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB folds, BB calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.32) Q:spade: , 6:club: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero calls $0.05.

Turn: ($0.42) J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.25.

River: ($1.02) 6:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.02

It all starts with a steal attempt being called out..

Flop: On the flop I have a clear flushdraw, and the board is not very drawy.. Bet/Fold line?

Turn: J basically made my hand "Flushdraw + 1 pair" which is a monster draw, right? So I should play it with a Bet/Raise now, correct?

River: Now that my monster draw missed, just check/fold?

• 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      a monster draw is a open ended straight draw+flush draw. your turnhand doesn't qualify

still you should be asking yourself as to why you're doing what you're doing.
      if you decide to raise over his minbet.. why would you do it?

i'd raise if we assume that we can make him fold random hands (ie overcards) and even build up the pot for the case that we hit our draw.
      on turn i think raising is good because he may have a flushdraw/pocket pair and i see we ahead most often. but i wouldn't be too excited to ship the stacks if he comes over the top.
      i'd also bet/fold river because i see him calling with worse (pocket pairs mainly)
    • eXtremeACE
      Hey Tomaloc, thanks for analyzing..

Well, I though all these 3 cases make my hand a monster draw as stated in article..

You have a monster draw if you have: Flush draw + OESD; Flush draw + gutshot; Flush draw + top pair

But now that I see it, I need to have a flush draw + top pair, not just any pair..

still you should be asking yourself as to why you're doing what you're doing. if you decide to raise over his minbet.. why would you do it?

The thing is, I decided to go for MSS, because my next goal is just to try and learn a perfect strategy for it, and then mass-table to build-up my bankroll.. So I avoid to think hard in some spots, and would just rather refer to the charts.. I know this is bad and in long run will earn me a less money then if I took reads and deviated (smartly) from charts, but the thing is after (lets say) 50-100k hands I can see my winrate at MSS, and if I don't like it I could take that newly built up roll and go for BSS.. So I just want to learn the ins and outs of a chart so far..

(?)So by chart, and if we don't have reads on him, flop is bet/fold correct? The thing is, he bets so small (0.05$ into 0.32$) that I can hardly look at it as a bet and even fold to it? How should I play with charts when he bets so small?

(?)Turn is no monster draw as I first meant, so I think I should have checked/folded.. But again, same question here, when he bets 0.05$ into 0.42$ pot.. is that really a bet? :/

• roopopper
      I think I would have deffo raised the donk bet on the flop, as under normal circumstances I would have c- bet 2/3 of pot with F-draw so worse case scenario I would have folded to a reraise anyways and spent the 2/3 pot cbet !!.
    • Gerv
      I dislike calling the Flop here as it is evidently clear that a mindonkbet is most often weak than superstrong. If it is superstrong, you can either get out by raise/folding or drawing +EV to your flushdraw

Anyhow I dont mind him folding better hands than Jack high at the moment

If you call the Flop as played, the TUrn is an obvious raise since he bets so small again + you have a pair now

- Gerv