Noz03

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Introduction

Hey guys, I been playing poker a few months, mostly sngs but I want to move into cash games and hopefully turn it into an extra income. So my main goal is to make as much money as possible :)

Right now I play nl2-nl5 full ring and sometimes 6max on 888 with pt3, and sometimes on 770... though to be honest I find the players there WAY too tight, and when ever there is a table with more than 20% players per flop theres at least 5 regs on the waiting list so by the time anyone gets on all the fish have probably swam off :/ What should I do about that?

Lesson 1

Anyway heres the homework for lesson 1, first question I mentioned above... money! $ per hour to be more specific, not trying to get rich quick but build a good and moderately steady flow into my pockets.

Q2, what are my biggest leaks...
      If I knew my leaks Id be trying to plug them haha, I guess I still play a little loose preflop, and limp a bit too much.

Q3, what is tag?
      Means only playing the top 15-20% of your range, depending on position, and when you do play them you play them hard, cbet flops when you think you can knock the players our, value your tptk or better.

Also Id like to post 1 hand I lost a lot on the other day, not sure if I made the right decision on this one but I keep loosing a lot of big pots in similar spots so really need to learn any ways I can limit this. A penny saved is a penny earned right? :)

Hand link

Lesson 2

Hope its ok to post lesson 2s homework before lesson 1s been marked, this week have been studying 1 hour a day and playing about 5 hours, quicker I get good the better :)

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      The poker room I like to play the most has ridiculously loose players in the lowest limits, usually with about 50-60% players per flop, also more than half of the time the flops are seen without being pre raised at all (everyone limps). So based on this I tend to limp a lot of marginal/potential hands from the SB or late positions.
      The reasons for this are there will almost always be limpers ahead of me, Im very unlikely to be raised after my limp from these positions, and if I do hit with a potential hand the players are so bad I am much more likely to get paid off. I also limp/call pocket pairs from early position for the same reasons.
      Would really like to know if this is correct, and is there anything else I can change in style against such loose tables like this?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play?
      I guess same question as above, how to play these super loose tables :)
      Also Id like to ask, what is a good range to call preflop bets in position on the raiser? And what is a good range to 3bet them?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?

For some reason I cant get the equilab to run on my computer, do you know any free software/website that can work this out? Id say its around 55% at an estimation though, I know its about 45% against a pocket underpair.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Right now I play nl2-nl5 full ring and sometimes 6max on 888 with pt3, and sometimes on 770... though to be honest I find the players there WAY too tight, and when ever there is a table with more than 20% players per flop theres at least 5 regs on the waiting list so by the time anyone gets on all the fish have probably swam off :/ What should I do about that?

Just table-select more. :) And tight doesn't always mean that the player is good. With playing very nitty styles they don't play very profitable ;)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Also Id like to post 1 hand I lost a lot on the other day, not sure if I made the right decision on this one but I keep loosing a lot of big pots in similar spots so really need to learn any ways I can limit this. A penny saved is a penny earned right?

Few of the steps you already started, just keep improving and trying to learn new things and you will get better. :)

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Would really like to know if this is correct, and is there anything else I can change in style against such loose tables like this?

With time you will get better, right now try to follow the chart and get the understanding why you playing specific hands preflop and what you doing postflop with them or what should you do. Limping on those smaller limits with PPs is still fine cause you often get paid but from NL10 I'd advice to start raising up then cause regular players will adjust against you very easily and see what you limping with.

Also Id like to ask, what is a good range to call preflop bets in position on the raiser? And what is a good range to 3bet them?

Hard to say, it's way too much dependent way too many factors, opponent/stack/raise size and etc. If there would be such a possibility to make poker that easy, don't you think everyone would be winning? :D

For some reason I cant get the equilab to run on my computer, do you know any free software/website that can work this out? Id say its around 55% at an estimation though, I know its about 45% against a pocket underpair.

Just try to google "poker odds calculator".

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies :)

About the calling ranges, sorry maybe I should have been more specific. Thing is I think I am cold calling way too much, even though I say that the reason is there are so many fish at the tables i play but still... Let me be more specific. Lets say we are in the cutoff on a full ring table and a 30vpip 20pfr fish raises us from middle position. What kind of cards could you just call with here? And what cards should I 3bet with?

Ill say if the player was a tag I would 3bet AK/JJ+ and call with all the smaller pairs considering the raise wasnt too big. Although Im not sure if I should really be folding AQs in this situation???

Anyways, onto the homework :)

Lesson 3:

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Took a guess at around 50/50 and was right pre flop :)
      Post flop I was quite a bit off, thought around 35% but was only 25%! I guess because the chance of a full house makes it low?

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Hmm, I would call as the 3bet was quite small and implied odds would be huge if I make the flush, also chance of a straight that puts me ahead of any sets too.
      Btw, what kind of hands would you expect the button to have in this case in nl2?

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Actually theres one type of hand I really dont get but its hard to put it into a question. Its the case where I have something like a low middle pair and if I bet only worse hands will fold and only better hands will call. I watched "crushing nl50 part 2" about it but I just dont really get it, if you dont bet, the other guy can take the aggressive and I would probably fold assuming he had top pair. I think there are a lot of hands like this I am betting on that I shouldnt be. Do you have any advice? or know of any specific articles or videos that could help with this?

Btw I didnt post any hands lately as Im playing on a site without tracking software but will post some soon.

Cheers for everything,
      -Noz
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

What kind of cards could you just call with here? And what cards should I 3bet with?

As you may understand it's impossible to answer this kind of question without any information, no stacks no stats. :( If poker would be that easy then a lot players would a nice profit with it.

Ill say if the player was a tag I would 3bet AK/JJ+ and call with all the smaller pairs considering the raise wasnt too big. Although Im not sure if I should really be folding AQs in this situation???

Depends also, for further investigation I would advice to try to post hands, we can discuss there which is much easier for you to get the understanding. :)

Btw I didnt post any hands lately as Im playing on a site without tracking software but will post some soon.

What kind of site is it? :D

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!