Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint: Threadsavers and Turbo SNGs

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Good afternoon all you beautiful people.

:diamond: :club: :heart: :spade: Introduction: :spade: :heart: :club: :diamond:

Brief introduction as no-one cares about the personal stuff (if there is anything else you wanted to know, feel free to ask). My name is Norman, I'm 21 years old and from Glasgow, Scotland. I've recently finished with University where I did a Law degree and await my marks for that (fingers crossed). This entails that I'm currently unemployed while I work out what I want to do with my life... hopefully something good will come and I can figure that out. This blog may include some "what the fuck am I doing with my life" posts. It will also include some jokes, dollars, and video screensavers!

I enjoy playing football, watching basketball, stand-up comedy, partying with my friends (expect some stories about that as there is always a few good ones!)

I started a blog last year to assess my cash game exploits. Last August I started on Bodog with $8 and by December through studying, good fortune as well as (hopefully) good play enabled me to reach $320 at the close of 2011.

I then made a switch to 888poker. It's a website I've really enjoyed as I've been winning quite a bit on it and the software is quite easy on the eye to. I'm a Rangers fan... so blue is the colour! Anyway, on 888 I started mixing in some MTTs with N10 and was extremely happy when on January 4th I came third in a $1 Rebuy frenzy event to earn approximately $330. Eight days later I took part in a $3 Rebuy event and earned my biggest 'win' in poker to date ($600 for 7th place). After this I fell out of love with cash games, and just desired to find a new game to learn, grind and - hopefully - beat.

Heads-up SNGs provided just such an opportunity.

Unfortunately, real life runbad meant that I needed to withdraw my roll in order to live (just to pay for bills etc, not to buy a kidney though that would probably have been more entertaining for the reader, so I shall go with that). I lost a little in playing MTTs with no win and also due to my lack of studying as a result of being in my final year of uni entailed that when I got up to NL25, it was not a lovely experience. In my first one hundred hands I was down three BI as after being AIPF (my hands first): KK < AA, AA < JJ, AA < AKs.

I moved $400 of my roll to Pokerstars where I already had an account as that is often cited as the 'home' of HU SNG. In my first month, I was thoroughly a break-even player. Maybe slightly less than that. But accepting I'm no where near the best, merely motivates me to learn... to grind... and hopefully to win. This has re-invigorated my love with poker.

A second bit of runbad (and being unemployed) means I have had to withdraw some of my roll again. But this isn't something bad as it was necessary and provides a new beginning.

I'm going to return to 888, although it has horrible rake, it has been good to me in the past and I'm superstitious.

I will also throw in some Scheduled MTT as I always enjoy them and occasionally go deep in them.

I will keep you all posted.
      Keep smiling!

Starting bankroll: $60
      Session profit/lost: $0
      SnG’s played: 0
      ROI%: 0
  • 17 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Will follow as a fellow UK Citizen, football fan and, of course, HU SnG player :)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section!

So, you start off with "playing football" "watching basketball" and then only "stand-up comedy", nothing whether that's observing or presenting..

Some of our other members are playing HUsngs on 888 and I believe they really notice the difference in how much softer the games are compared to stars, and their rake isn't THAT much higher to be honest, like 2% higher if memory serves, good move!

Do let us know when the grades come in though!

Regards,
      Richard
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Goodluck mate, will follow ! :D
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Welcome to our blogging section!

So, you start off with "playing football" "watching basketball" and then only "stand-up comedy", nothing whether that's observing or presenting..

Some of our other members are playing HUsngs on 888 and I believe they really notice the difference in how much softer the games are compared to stars, and their rake isn't THAT much higher to be honest, like 2% higher if memory serves, good move!

Do let us know when the grades come in though!

Regards,
      Richard
      Thanks mate.. I will do. Won't be til the end of June though I expect.

And with regards to stand up comedy... watching or performing? I do both! Had an interview in a Scottish newspaper a few years ago. Though I do look about four years old in the picture!

Change of plan regarding 888 right now. I found out I had £100 on Betfair from when I was trading tennis matches! Love when you find money, but $160 is just an awesome find. So I'm using that on Ongame network during the French Open so I can do some trading as well. With a view to moving solely to 888 so I'm tracked on this site. Best of both worlds.

Made £20 ($30) this morning through trading in approximately an hour! :f_love:
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      I've been pretty horrible at updating this blog but there have been a few developments i my life which hindered me from properly starting my quest to destroy the HUSNGs on 888.

Firstly, 888 is no longer an affiliate so I've decided to use Partypoker as my main place of grind.

Secondly, I got my uni degree mark... I graduated top of my class with a First Class Honours degree in Law. Not too shabby eh?

Thirdly, I got a job (first one ever) and was way too tired to play my A-game... so I was making neither good volume nor good decisions. I wasn't learning, that's the key problem.

However, now I am part-time in my job again and eager to learn... and so: THE JOURNEY STARTS HERE.

Also, until Alficor1 decides to continue his blog.... I'm going to steal his facts and chick threadsavers idea... when he returns, I'll give them back to him.

Until next time!

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Bahahahha epic blog name cant wait for the 2nd movie

Good luck with your poker il be following :)

Carl
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Had a bad session on Wednesday night, and ended up 4.5 BI down. I felt slightly tilted towards the end of that session as I was making +EV moves (well, my average AI equity was 81%). However, stopped myself playing as I felt that I'd be dropping into my B-game.

I even threw in some 6-max hyper-turbos as well... is it bad for my game that I like to break up some sessions with FastForward (poor man's Zoom) and other kinds of SNGs?

On Thursday I got the 8 hour bus journey from Glasgow to Cardiff for the Scotland v Wales match. I was really tired and barely slept, the rain was torrential and I was soaked through. It was a very good laugh so far and the first 83 minutes of the game were good. But then, the only thing I feel I can say is... F*CKA YOU GARETH BALE.

Returned home today, tired and still disappointed. Tried to catch up on my sleep and ate some yum yums. Tomorrow I'll try and get a session of poker in before meeting the missus.... as I know my main leak in poker thus far is poor volume.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      I decided that for my progression and my bankroll that I needed to pick one game and stick to it, no matter what. That I must ride out the variance and improve in one game. After all, if I kept switching I would just become a 'jack of all trades but master of none'.

I liked hyper turbo heads up, but my main leak was that I'm pretty tight and tend to make a lot of hero folds etc. I liked 6-max hypers but my problem there was that I would win 1 in 8/9 and was more often coming second or more often than not - third.

My goal is to isolate a game format that would allow me to build my roll again whilst also limiting the impact of my two aforementioned leaks.

For the time being I've been playing Turbo DON on Ongame (sadly untracked).

I've played DON before and used them on 888 to build my roll up to over $1k (including some MTT binks). So, I feel that for the time being I've made the right choice. Playing a relatively low variance game format will allow me to do one thing: VOLUME!! I'm excited by that. It also lets me play a more agro BRM of 25 BI until the $10 where I'll change it up to 30/40 BI.

In the past 24hours I've played 10 $3.30 DON and won in 9 of them. So, I feel I've made the right choice.

Now, for some goals for November:

[ ] Volume 200-300 SNGs this month
      [ ] Crush the $3.30 limit
      [ ] Start multi-tabling soon.
      [ ] Post more in this blog

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Today I increased my BR by just about 20%. So, all in all it was a good day, but it really ought to have been much better. In a couple of spots I lost all-ins and busted with accurate +EV shoves. KK < JQ, AK < 86s, A9s < 69o.

If a couple more of those held, I'd have increased my bankroll by more than 20% but as I'm purely doing DONs to build a roll, I'm extremely happy. And most promising aspect of today was that I started multi-tabling on my new format and felt pretty focused.

In the last few games that I played today I did get lucky, but felt that was merely lady variance equaling things out from earlier. Plus I deposited $20 onto Pokerstars so that I can build a separate roll, but mainly so that I can play in the Micromillions.

Tomorrow I'm not too sure about the volume that I'll be able to achieve as in the evening I'm going to be having a movie night in with my girlfriend... SHE HAS NEVER SEEN THE PRESTIGE BEFORE... WE'RE GOING TO FIX THAT TO PREVENT ME HAVING TO BREAK IT OFF. It really is that great a film! :f_love:

Today's stats:

DON SNGs played: 24
      ITM: 70.8%
      Rake: $7.2

Progression of my November goals:

[ ] Volume 200-300 SNGs this month (Well on course, at 67 for the month)
      [X] Crush the $3.30 limit (Completed 16/11/2012)
      [X] Start multi-tabling soon. (Completed 11/11/2012)
      [X] Post more in this blog
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Today is Remembrance Sunday in the UK, and Castle93 posted this in his blog, I liked it so thought I'd share it too:

Originally posted by Castle93
      In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
      That mark our place; and in the sky
      The larks, still bravely singing, fly
      Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
      Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
      To you from failing hands we throw
      The torch; be yours to hold it high.
      If ye break faith with us who die
      We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
      In Flanders fields.

We will remember them.
      Always remember those who gave their tomorrow for our today.

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Today hasn't been nearly as good as yesterday, suckout after suckout and when I make good ICM shoves the other players have always woken up with monsters.... or hit them on the river.

KK v AQs = flush on the river, busto.
      KK v 44 = 4 on the river, busto.
      AJ on SB v JJ SB = no ace, busto.

I'm happy that with the exception of one SNG today that I made what I percieved to be the accurate move. I had one really nitty fold with TT against an aggro big stack because we were on the bubble and the shortest stack was sitting out and had less than one BB left. Naturally, when he was forced all-in he awoke with AA. :f_mad:

But we all have days like this, so this isn't a whiney post but more just noting that I still feel as though I'm improving albeit with my BR running contrary to that.

As I said yesterday, my volume is going to be pretty poor today. And given the way the cards have been falling, that might be a blessing in disguise. In fact, I remember that last Sunday was also similarly bad but that I only ended up 1 BI down.

Today's session:

SNG Played: 10
      ITM: 30%
      Profit/Loss (inc. Rake): -4.4 BI

BR: $103 (31.33 BI at ($3.00 + 0.30))

When I have 25 BI for the $5.5 DONs so I will move up.

Might go for a shower to focus some more... and then grind some more.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      ...... She loved the Prestige, I think I'll keep her :s_cool:

Played some more DONs today, I'm enjoying playing them and feel they are somewhat similar to a MTT, in the really tight early stage followed by a somewhat more entertaining push/fold phase when the blinds become significant.

I'm going to look into throwing some $1.20 Guaranteed tourneys on Ongame. I always feel as though I do well in Scheduled MTTs so feel 100 BI should be sufficient. And, if I manage to bink one, it'll help me increase the BR... which is currently my goal and the reason why I'm temporarily playing DONs.

BR: $122.11
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Played in a regular speed $1.20 tourney and finished 42nd out of 370 for a $4.54 profit. Not sure if it was worth it as the tourney went on for almost 3 hours and in that space of time I could have grinded a fair few DONs to generate more than approx 1.5 BIs.

I've been thinking, I'm going to build my BR until it's around $250 and move it to another Ongame skin in EuroPoker and try and work off the FDB to really give my roll a nice injection, while still playing the $5.50 DONs. .

BR: $133.03

Time for some motivation....

• Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Today I finally beat a limit in poker, properly and professionally. In the past I often jumped before getting fully to the next limit as per my BRM, or got lucky in shipping a MTT. However, I've just consistently grinded out profitable sessions this week and managed to get my BR up to over 25 BI for the $5.50 DONs.

DONs are lower variance as normal SNGs and plenty of the online material I've sourced recommended a 25 BI strategy and so I'm quite content. Plus, the largest downswing I've had was a mere 4 BI, which is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I've said it before and will say it again, these initial posts are merely the foundations of a more professional poker 'career' for me. And with that in mind, I'm going to be looking into the 'Skyrocketing Your (Poker) Productivity' guide to try and get my house in order. I'm currently at a cross-roads in my life, I've just graduated with a Law Degree at the top of my class and yet I'm working in a part-time job, while my Uni friends are making a go of an actual career.

The journey starts here!

Starting BR: $60
      Current BR: $139.54

Short-term Goals:

[X] Crush $3.30 DONs
      [ ] Begin 'Skyrocketing' my productivity
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Vision Statement:
      • I am a thoughtful person, who likes to do his utmost to improve the lives of those around him. I want to help others in any capacity that I can think of, especially those who are most in need of help. I want my life to mean something and have some ultimate purpose.
      • I want to spend time with my family, friends and girlfriend. I want to help my three-year old nephew grow up to be someone I will undoubtedly be proud of.
      • I no longer want to live in fear of what other people think of me. The only thing that should matter is what I think of me. Only then can I work towards my own goals rather than having my life’s choices decided for me.
      • I’m a good listener and a strong problem solver. When required I will work hard to achieve my goals.

Weekly Goal for before 23rd November 2012:
      • Complete my application form for volunteering at the Glasgow Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
      Long-term Goal:
      • I want to be my own boss in a capacity that helps people.

I’m not sure if anyone actually reads this blog, but CAN SOMEONE HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY GOALS?

Thank you in advance, I will do this.
    • Zareos
      Zareos
      Bronze
      Not completed my task as of yet. I will though.

Today was a good little session, the past few days have been pretty good. Currently my BR is on brink of breaking $200.

Still been playing DONs on Ongame but even mixed in some NL4 HU Cash games. In just under an hour won 3 BI. I really enjoyed that so will be mixing in some more of those over the next few days.

Unfortunately no more poker this evening, watching the football and doing a pub quiz. And tomorrow I'll be going out with the misses, she currently has glandular fever so I'll need to figure out some way to cheer her up! Any ideas?

Starting BR: $60
      Current BR: $194.64
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Just stumbled across your blog.

Nice job!

I used to play DoNs
      They're good for building BR for sure.

I tend to do "projects" where I learn a game -- or more properly dabble in it for a while.

"In Flanders Fields" was written by a Canadian, and is recited in school assemblies across the country every year.

But my favourite war poem isn't nearly so uplifting...
      http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html

The imagery is right there in your face as you read it.

Cheers,