Deciding on an MTT SNG size

• obiwai
      obiwai
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I've just decided to start playing the MTT SNGs on PS and I'm starting out at the $0.50 - $1 range with a bankroll of $100

How do I make a decision on what number "man" SNG to do? (45, 90...etc)

What factors are involved?

is it ok to switch between 45 man and 90 man or should I just pick one?

Does bankroll play a part in deciding which SNG to play?

and also deciding between Turbo and normal

Thx in advance
  • 6 replies
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Not really a SNG man myself, but from what i gather..

The SNGs with the higher number of entrants will have more variance, possibly more fish? For you to decide.

With the higher variance you may need a higher number of BIs to cope with this, not sure about switching, should be fine. Turbo or normal i think is personal preference. :D
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      The bigger the field the higher the variance, but also the higher the ROI you can achieve. Also a better reg/fish ratio. For the 45s you should be fine with 75 to 100 Buy Ins, depending how good you are at them.

I have no experience with 90 mans or 180s but i'd guess something like 100-150 BI for 90s and 150-200 BI for 180s. I wouldn't play them if you can't handle variance as 100 BI downswings are not uncommon for good players.

As for the format you pretty much HAVE to play turbos. The reg speeds don't run often enough and they take too long so your hourly earnings are much lower.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by Andyuk18
      The bigger the field the higher the variance, but also the higher the ROI you can achieve. Also a better reg/fish ratio. For the 45s you should be fine with 75 to 100 Buy Ins, depending how good you are at them.

I have no experience with 90 mans or 180s but i'd guess something like 100-150 BI for 90s and 150-200 BI for 180s. I wouldn't play them if you can't handle variance as 100 BI downswings are not uncommon for good players.

As for the format you pretty much HAVE to play turbos. The reg speeds don't run often enough and they take too long so your hourly earnings are much lower.
      Pretty much perfect reply - nothing to add for me :)
    • Econom1sta
      Econom1sta
      Bronze
      I play $1 45 regular speed.

50 buy-ins are enough for regular speed.
      You can achieve higher ROI on regulars, but better hourly rate in turbos.
      I have chosen regulars because you can use your edge, because basically turbos are push or fold. For turbos you have to be very familiar with ICM.

45 men are good for building your game, you can easily transfer later to 90-180 men. Average length of regulars is 2h, that's the negative side. Good luck.
    • obiwai
      obiwai
      Bronze
      thanks everyone for your advice.

i think I'll go with the 45man $1 turbo and see how I go from there
    • gordy1957
      gordy1957
      Bronze
      there are no $1 45man turbos on Stars only 50c and $1,50.
      I would start on the 50c and move up when comfortable.