[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #35 20.05.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from May 20th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Sunday, May 27th at 1 PM GMT.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $101,4
      Hero:
      $53

0,25/0,5 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:diamond: , J:diamond:
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $1,50, BU folds, SB raises to $4,00, BB folds, Hero calls $2,50.

Called him with a hand ahead of his range and i can float him if i don't hit.

Flop: ($8,50) K:club: , Q:diamond: , 5:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

With this high cbet value his check made me suspicious.
      I checked behind to induce bluffs/potcontrol

Turn: ($8,50) T:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $5,5, Hero calls $5,50.

River: ($19,50) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $15,75, Hero calls $15,75.

Final Pot: $51,00
  • 5 replies
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      One thing that I don't understand is that if hero is suspicious about villain's check, then why does hero continue just calling IP while having no clue where he stands? Is hero merely hoping to catch a bluff? With what information then?

Imho, I would go for far ahead/far behind situation and just probe the flop. If we get raised, then most likely give up the flop (far behind); if we get called, we can re-evaluate on turn; if villain folds, we won.

Also, river is by no means a block bet. Almost pot size. If I put myself into villain's spot, I would have to consider what does hero have and what is he calling with on turn. Why will I bet almost pot size on river vs hero? To scare away? What? If hero just called on turn, then my bluff might not work, cause I might be behind.
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      While that may be true that Villain checks his monsters,
      I would bet for value on the flop and play for stacks.

When people tend to check 3bettet flop, then most of the time they
      have hands like 2nd pair.
      I think Villain's most likely range here is AQ, Qxs type of bluffs and maybe JJ-TT.

If Villain has those hands in his range, when he checks, I'd bet flop myself.

When he bets T, he might logically think, that his hand is good since hero
      didn't bet the flop, which makes sense.

As played, Turn also might be a check, raise as we have good enough equity
      vs. Villain's range and some R cards will give us though decision.

As played, on the river, IMO only thing we beat are bluffs like busted draws,
      but on the other side Villain would bet :club: 's on the flop and is less likely to have :diamond: 's.
      So he is most likely going to have a Qx hand there or even AJ.
      looks like a fold on the river, as played.

PS: When Villain checks, bet Flop. He likely has a MP type hands there. ;)
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      preflop: one way to defend vs him is to 4bet for value 99+,AJ+ and some bluffs (if we assume that hero opens sth like 35%). As long as he 3bets so small, we can call him with scs and pp < 99. So KJ wouldn't be the best hand to call, bc although it is ahead from his 3bet range it is difficult to play post flop. This hand is a good example why..

flop:Ok, his check is suspicious, but Villain doesn't seem to c/r either. The same time his range is wide, so we should bet for value. If we get raised we are behind for sure (flip best case scenario), so we have an easy fold. Why give the Villain a free card?

turn:easy call.
      I Do not like the raise option, it would be a raise for protection bc Villain won't continue with worse. But hero has some outs to improve by the river.
      A raise/call would be valid if the pot was larger (if hero hadn't check the flop).

river As played should be a call bc now Qxs combinations decreased and there are some busted draws there (Villain's range is still wide)+hero's play gives away the strength of his hand so a bluff might work (from Villain's eyes), although Q is not a good card to bluff.The question is if Villain is capable of bluffing the river, so reads are essential here.
    • Lightfoot363
      Lightfoot363
      Bronze
      Preflop I would just fold after his 3bet. He 3bets alot, but we are often doninated against hands like AK, AJ, KQ, and we do not really dominate any hands of his 3betting range.

as played i would bet the flop for value. We have TP and a lot of backdoor Equity. There are many cards on the Turn that can improve our Hand to TP with straight or flush draw.
      And we can get value from a lot of worse hands, like 2nd Pair, Gutshots, Flushdraws.

As played i would also call the Turn and just fold the River. Because i dont see there any worse hands value betting. And i also dont think that he is bluffing this River.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello guys,

Preflop: Most likely I'd be towards 4betting myself cause it long run we should earn enough of money from such a guy who folds ~60% cases to the 4bet. Calling of course ain't that bad either while he seems to have a leak in CBetting turn which is really small but might be tougher to play without understanding the game in 3bet pot.

As played
      Flop: His Check here already makes me cautious but for the given odds that we might still get value from his Qx hands I'd Bet it and try to find out how we do. We might even protect our hand. We don't get value from him anyways more than 2 streets therefore I'd Bet the flop & turn myself. Another option would be to Check behind but then the main idea would be to get value from hands like TT/JJ.

As played
      Turn: Not much to comment, raising is out of question here while we just isolate vs strong range and worse will fold. Standard spot to keep his range wide.
      River: Although here vs his sizing I'd rather fold my hand cause for the given reason of his CB on the flop which is super huge and I would assume him CBetting almost all his bluffs I don't really see many hands what we beat. Even Qx hand now has trips. Any draw would CB the flop with his CB, so I'd fold it.

Best Regards.