How do you deal with many regulars?

• 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      Right now I am playing $1.20 SnG singe tables on OnGame.

Even though I can move to $3.30 tournaments as my bankroll is around $200 at the moment I have been avoiding doing so up to know.

The reason being is that I noticed that you have way to many regulars on that level, much more than any any other SnG level in OnGame. Sometimes you will have 3 Winning regulards, 3 breakeven and 2 loosing regulards at the same time registered on one table. That makes 8 regs on a table!

I am found at a loss right now because I feel I am good enough to be profitable on the $1.20 tournaments but the amount of regs (usually 3 to 4) are discouraging me to go up as I believe they will hurt my ROI.

I would like to know your thoughts on many regs on a table and how many winning regs (ROI 2%+), breakeven regs (-1% to 1% ROI) and loosing regs (-2% and less) are you willing to have on your table in the long term.

Personally I believe that it is not profitable enough for me to have more than 3 regs on the table. Sometimes if I got 2 break even and 2 loosing regs I would still play.

What do you think?
  • 7 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, 107e5!

I am a bit surprised that games are so reg-fested even on the 3$ level. But this has been a tendency on the FR SnG for quite some time already. Games are getting less and less profitable, more reg-fested, fish improves. Even at stars, you hardly get any FR games running past 60$ level. Part of the game though. You have to work harder to have the results a semi-decent reg would've had 3 years ago f.e. All this has being said not to discourage you. You can still make a living playing SnGs and micro stakes are definitely beatable! Just make sure you work on your game more than the most regs do and you will find an edge. You will make a profit.

Now down to your questions:

I am ok if I have 2 winning regs + 2-3 BE(bad) regs. That will sum it up to 4-5 regs not including us. Fish also matters though. The worse the fish, the more profitable the game is. So it's not only regs that matter. Also, I am pretty sure regs on 3$ FR Ongame SnG are plainly bad. Most of them for sure. I used to play FR SnG on Ongame 2 months ago or so on the 22-54$ stakes and you really do get to see many mistakes made by regs. Other thing you can do is playing on 2-3 sites at a time and table select easier. Or you can also switch to 5-6-man SnG, which are a lot less reg-fested. But that won't be necessary imo as FR SnGs, especially micro stakes are still very beatable.

Cheers!
    • 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      Thanks for the input kurrkabin. I do have a list with 40-50 regs that play 1.20 to 5.50 limit mainly and I have them tracked down according to ROI, games played and total profit.

What I noticed is that even though I believe I am at least as good if not better than most on those stakes I do loose quite a lot of equity when we are on the bubble.

If you play a bubble against 3 regs it seems to me that my equity will be 25% or less while when I play against 2 fish and a reg or 3 fish my equity improoves significantly.

An idea I had was to skip the 3.30 level and going straight to 5.50 once my bankroll allows it just for the sake of a better ROI.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

All the best

Nicolas
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      You are right, your equity does drop even surrounded by fishy regs as they are usually better than fishes. I think that if 3,3$s are reg-fested, 5,5$ should be the same story. Maybe even a bit more better regs. You can also mix in with some non-turbo speed SnGs. They are pretty soft, but you need to play more tables at a time to make it up for the lower hourly rate.

Cheers!
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      to add what kurr has said, there no reason why yu cant focus on just improving your game to the goal that when yu enter a SnG your the best player and can own the regs, if you keep working on your game this should be okay, yeah table selection is good but personally i think it only implies to higher stakes, just because yu will get very few micros regs that are actually any good
    • 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      You guys will be amazed how many good regs there are.

In my list I got more than 10 regs with ROI 4% + over 5000 games plus that they play 3.30 and 5.50 tourneys on ongame.

Partially playing regular tournaments may be a good idea!
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Yeah but they have a 4% ROI vs the same opponents you do, all the bad fishes, the ok fishes, the bad regulars. That 4% ROI isn't particularly impressive if you look at their opposition.

I don't see why you can't work to be better than them.
    • 107e5
      107e5
      Basic
      You guys will be amazed how many good regs there are.

In my list I got more than 10 regs with ROI 4% + over 5000 games plus that they play 3.30 and 5.50 tourneys on ongame.

Partially playing regular tournaments may be a good idea!