[NL2-NL10] Slow played by 2 nits.

• noz03
      I checked the turn when the Q came up but I didnt expect such nitty players to slow play monsters, especially after I (the aggressor) checked the turn out of position. So 2 questions, am I wrong that tight players are usually honest players? and, is there any way I could have played this differently? Im generally a bit lost on how to play my pocket pairs to be honest.

888 Poker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $0.38
      CO: $2.00 (10vp)
      BTN: $1.80 (8vp)
      SB: $1.80
      BB: $2.00
      Hero (UTG): $3.64 (20vp12pfr)
      UTG+1: $2.50

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 8:spade: 8:diamond:

Hero calls $0.02, fold, MP calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks

Flop: ($0.12, 6 players) T:spade: 8:heart: 9:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.09, MP calls $0.09, CO calls $0.09, BTN raises to $0.42, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.33, fold, CO calls $0.33

Turn: ($1.47, 3 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

River: ($1.47, 3 players) 7:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.10, CO calls $1.10, BTN calls $1.10

Hero shows 8:spade: 8:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 19%, Flop 55%, Turn 5%)
      CO shows J:spade: A:spade: (Straight, Queen High) (Pre 26%, Flop 35%, Turn 76%)
      BTN mucks Q:spade: Q:heart: (Three of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 55%, Flop 10%, Turn 19%)
      CO wins $4.48
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      btn was afraid of a J.
      co is just a freak :f_biggrin: but given that he didn't raise river either he was probably afraid of the pure nuts KJ :f_eek:
    • veriz
      Hello noz03,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

You should Bet the flop bigger and then vs the raise just get it in than Call. With calling you just giving the opportunity to draw for them.

But otherwise on the river Check/Fold it, enough of Jx hands are possible being in multiway pot.

Best Regards.
    • noz03
      Thanks Veriz, yeah I guess I should have thought about their ranges a bit more as they were tight players, Im usually avoiding getting into pots with these kinds of players so maybe need more experience on it.

How big should I bet the flop though? it was an unraised pot so even going pot size would only be a 12c raise, and most of the draws would still call for implied pot odds.

Also are you sure it would be good to check/fold the river? As both players checked behind me on the turn I figured they didnt have any J, and I really didnt think they wouldnt have a 6. I would think it better to raise/fold there, although maybe not so much. If they missed it which is what it looked like they would call/fold, if they hit they would probably reraise and ill give up my smaller raise.
    • veriz
      I'd even overbet the flop and not make pot size. :)

Yes, easy Check/Fold on the river.