My first ever MMT

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      So I got a free entry to a very nice looking MTT coming tomorrow and although I usually play big stack no limit I thought I would give it a go! :)

Its going to be a lot of medium cash for a lot of players (the top 80), as opposed to a huge prize for first. Also as its only a promotion no one will be investing any money so I expect a very low level of players, its also on a very fishy site so even better.

How should I approach it? I know the basic single table sng strategy but Ive never ever played an MMT with 300+ players before. Any suggestions?

As I said I expect a lot of ridiculously bad players, so a lot of crazy all ins, and 1bb raises. And as the money doesnt change much after you get into the top 80 I guess I should play super cautious and try to survive as long as possible??
  • 10 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I would suggest a look into our MTT strategy articles. Furthermore it might be a good idea to watch a mtt video series. SNG knowledge might help you a bit but won't be valueable without any mtt knowledge. You will have to adept a lot to the different structure. ICM is less important in MTT's then it is in SNG's. On the other hand you need good pushing, repushing and callingranges. It's hard to learn the important things within one day if not impossible, but since it is a freeroll you have nothing to lose :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      I watched some session reviews but so far cant find anything summarizing the basic mtt strategy in my status level. Is there anything like this? Or even better, how to convert sng knowledge to an mtt?

Right now my plan is to play is like a cash game for the early stages, and avoid all shoves with less than qq or better. No need to risk my $30 with less than 60% equity.

Then play more aggressive after Im in the top 80 as the next prize jump starts at the top 30.

Does this sound ok?
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      Uhm... First, i would say at least 30% - 40% of players are going to be sitting out because it always happens on these kind of MTTs... They forget about it, or don't have the time for it! So any unopen pot just open it, if there are only 1 or 2 to act "actually playing". Min raise is enough. I try to play as much as i can at the early levels since everybody will try to take the blinds with any 2 because most of the table will be sitting out, so try to call in position if someone opens first, very light and try to take down the pot, if you see him weak etc. If not then just open almost any 2 decent card to take down the bbs. After all the sitting outs go out, close to the money, then try normal strategy, but since they pay out ladder are real bad then try to risk a little bit more, since all the money will be for the final table, I'm not saying any 2... But only QQ or better is WAY too tight.. Because if you don't get this then you wont make final table, so try to steal and 3 bet light sometimes, it all depends what stack you have of course when you get to the money! If they are that bad, then call them in position a lot and try to take the pot down, and only risk light pre if your short stack, preferable vs bbs or late shoves, and try to select decent hand to shove on their opens because these terrible players will call horribly and your tournmanet will be at risk, but your short if you dont make a move blinds will eat you!
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Originally posted by XxMatadorExX
      Uhm... First, i would say at least 30% - 40% of players are going to be sitting out because it always happens on these kind of MTTs... They forget about it, or don't have the time for it! So any unopen pot just open it, if there are only 1 or 2 to act "actually playing". Min raise is enough. I try to play as much as i can at the early levels since everybody will try to take the blinds with any 2 because most of the table will be sitting out, so try to call in position if someone opens first, very light and try to take down the pot, if you see him weak etc. If not then just open almost any 2 decent card to take down the bbs. After all the sitting outs go out, close to the money, then try normal strategy, but since they pay out ladder are real bad then try to risk a little bit more, since all the money will be for the final table, I'm not saying any 2... But only QQ or better is WAY too tight.. Because if you don't get this then you wont make final table, so try to steal and 3 bet light sometimes, it all depends what stack you have of course when you get to the money! If they are that bad, then call them in position a lot and try to take the pot down, and only risk light pre if your short stack, preferable vs bbs or late shoves, and try to select decent hand to shove on their opens because these terrible players will call horribly and your tournmanet will be at risk, but your short if you dont make a move blinds will eat you!
      Very good point, im not sure about 30-40% as the registration only opened a few hours ago due to some kind of error. Am sure there will be enough to take advantage from though.

So from the start, before most of the sitouts are gone... what range could I call shoves from? Im undecided about the top aces as i know there will be a lot of pocket pair shoving anything from 22 up. Also not so sure about the 1010 or less as Ill be in a flip against ak/aq/aj.
    • ixdon
      ixdon
      Bronze
      TS, did you mean "MTT" - Multi-table tournament? If not, what is MMT? :coolface: :coolface:
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Haha yes I meant mtt, obviously im THAT new to them. Anyway the MTT didnt go very well...
      got almost no good cards, the ones i did flopped nothing, when i cbet i got called and shoved on the river and had to fold, blinds crept up and before i knew it i was 4bbs left. shoved a pocket pair from the button and got called by both blinds and it was over :/

Oh well........... maybe give it another try next week.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Sad to hear you didn't do well :(

Hopefully you will have better cards next time. In the meantime you may want to visit the weekly mtt coaching on monday evening and watch some more videos. Reading the articles is probably a good idea as well ;)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Is there any kind of guides for mtts? Like the sng guides and bss guides? Or even any articles on how to adjust sng strategy into mtt strategy?

Will try get into the coaching if I can too!
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey noz03,

We have extensive MTT articles and Videos for you to study.
      You'll be able to start out on the basic articles and once you start earning strategy points then you can work your way to the silver articles and build your MTT arsenal attack.

Heres the link:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/

Regards,

Kyle.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by Asaban
      I would suggest a look into our MTT strategy articles. Furthermore it might be a good idea to watch a mtt video series. SNG knowledge might help you a bit but won't be valueable without any mtt knowledge. You will have to adept a lot to the different structure. ICM is less important in MTT's then it is in SNG's. On the other hand you need good pushing, repushing and callingranges. It's hard to learn the important things within one day if not impossible, but since it is a freeroll you have nothing to lose :)

Regards,
      Asaban
      Both (articles and videos) where already linked in my first posting. Maybe I should have marked them accordingly.
      Thanks to kyle for pointing them out again.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
      Asaban