[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 how to play trips OOP?

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $35.64 (71.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $50 (100 bb)
      UTG: $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $52.43 (104.9 bb)
      CO: $77.85 (155.7 bb)
      BTN: $20 (40 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: K:heart:
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) Q:spade: Q:club: 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $2.32, Hero raises to $7.75, MP folds

I x/r this board with draws and air quite a good amount of the time and this would mean that I have to x/r all my strong hands as well against good players.

As long as I have a wide x/r range in this spot should I always play x/r with my strong hands as well? I doubt this is necessary against unknown players.

I don't really know if calling flop to donk turn is any better... maybe even worse as it looks more of a value hand imo while on the flop I represent a wide range of air/draws.

How would you play the hand?
  • 6 replies
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Why you don't give some stats ? :(

Vs unknown I rather 3bet preflop cause we don't know how he plays postflop... Flop I just call. You still want value from PP's. But I lead out turn.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DeMarcohsp,

Not really a huge fan of Check/Raising the flop cause you just making a lot hands to fold by this. Unless you have some dynamics going on I don't like it and rather keep his range wide and Check/Call and reevaluate the actions on turn and might even donk there dependent on the card. Or if you do then rather Check behind the turn.

Best Regards.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist

Vs unknown I rather 3bet preflop cause we don't know how he plays postflop... Flop I just call. You still want value from PP's. But I lead out turn.
      Can you explain a little why 3betting is better here with KQ (guess AQ/AJ/KJs as well)? Would be very thankful if you can recommend some materials about this.

And BTW, when I don't give stats it means that on the villain in question I only hand like 10 hands or so, really irrelevant imo.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      Originally posted by Farmarchist

Can you explain a little why 3betting is better here with KQ (guess AQ/AJ/KJs as well)? Would be very thankful if you can recommend some materials about this.

And BTW, when I don't give stats it means that on the villain in question I only hand like 10 hands or so, really irrelevant imo.
      Well, this is one of the things I'm not sure about myself :P . But when I don't have stats on someone I'm leaning towards 3bet or fold with my whole range in the blinds. Because we don't know any of his frequencies etc.

Looking forward to veriz' input :)
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      And our opponent does not have any reason to expect a super wide range from us because he does not have stats on us either. I like your idea ;) .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Why should we be 3betting with those hands? Not really a must, I'd 3bet then if I'd do it for value. 3bet/Folding once again might be too weak vs SB stealing range. Therefore I'd just keep his range wide and play postflop vs him.