[NL20-NL50] NL25SH top pair against a maniac

• spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Hi! Played this hand at stars deep ante NL25 table. Everybody were playing really loose and aggressive so I was playing pretty tight, something like 21/15/3.0. Hadn't been in showdowns so far. BU is unknown, only played 20 hands with him but he seemed to play a lot of pots. BB is playing very loose and aggressive postflop and i'm pretty sure that his gonna call about any two when i didn't 3-bet. Wasn't worried he would squeeze since he hadn't done that at all. Some basic stats with 100 hand sample are about this: 35/26/3.0. So far he had been barreling with very wide range making bluffs but thin valuebets as well.

I were calling him down since he didn't rep much but i think I have to fold if a diamond falls and he bets really big?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):
      $71.83
      BB:
      $62.50
      MP2:
      $67.69
      MP3:
      $103.29
      CO:
      $68.37
      BU:
      $49.97

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, Q.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.25) 4, Q, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BU bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, BB raises to $5.50, BU folds, Hero calls $4.00.

Turn: ($14.75) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $10.10, Hero calls $10.10.

River: ($34.95) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $13.50, Hero calls $13.50.

Final Pot: $61.95.
  • 5 replies
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      3bet preflop that deep imo.

As played I'm folding to the BB his raise on the flop. When you call it's a calldown.

what he showed up with?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello spadek,

As long you have such reads then there is not much to comment on the flop. Cause he can't really represent much there, not many 2pairs and meanwhile could have total bluffs there. So if you assume him being very aggressive then there is no other way to play it here.

Or of course just fold vs the raise if you think he is passive which he ain't. :D

Best Regards.
    • spadek
      spadek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      3bet preflop that deep imo.

As played I'm folding to the BB his raise on the flop. When you call it's a calldown.

what he showed up with?
      He showed up with K6o. Didn't 3-bet because I had no reads on him and i don't even mind playing this hand 3-way.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Ow I didn't read your txt about aggro... I thought he played 21/15. But yes I agree now with the play! ;) .

Veriz , also here the question:
      Vs unknown BTN here 3bet>call? When it is, when not?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Vs unknown BTN here 3bet>call? When it is, when not?

Both ways are played. Usually I don't like 3bet in those cases when we also don't have position. We almost always have to fold to 4bet and which he could easily pick +++++EV for him but ---EV for us to just go for fold equity. Therefore without any specific information on that case how he plays vs the 3bets I'd rather keep the range wide and also while BB isn't squeeze-happy.

If we assume having a huge edge on him and we can easily see worse hands calling and can definitely overplay him postflop then 3bet for value of course. :)