PL oh oh oh - D's Blog

• bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Whats up guys

My names Danny and I live in Canada (born and raised). My ethnic background though is half Polish and half Chinese (only would happen in Canada I think right lol). I’m a finance major in my final year of university and I’m really interested in investments (probably developed a lot of my interest through playing poker over the years). I’ll talk a little about my poker background).

Start of poker. Was standard, started playing home games, then made an online deposit for $20. I started one tabling 9 man NL hold em SNGs (that was the home game we played) and moved the $20 up to like $120 or something. I actually can’t remember what happened after that but I think I busted it one time playing too many tables. This was back in about 2008 right about when I was starting university.

2010ish. I slowed down on poker for a while between 2008-2010 when I got more focused on my university studies. Then one semester I had a job at the government full time (verrrry boring) and I started to think to myself, ok I’ve got to do something more interesting, so I started to take SNGs more seriously again. I deposited $200 online again and then I started playing like 6-8 hours a day most days and built my roll to like $2500 eventually after a couple of months of grinding these (in my opinion) very boring SNG games (I wanted to learn cash so my motivation started slacking and I started hating playing).

2011ish. I started playing some HU cash and lost like $1000, lets say “learning” lol. It was wayyyy different from 9 man SNGs, probably should have transitioned to like 6max or 9max cash first lol. Then black Friday came and shortly after full tilt (the site I was playing on) shut down completely and I lost my roll.

Late 2011ish. I didn’t stay away from poker for long and deposited for the 2nd time on pokerstars for $600 out of my savings from my job before and started playing HU again but severly underrolled. Started playing HUSNGs which I did ok at for the levels I was playing (mostly $7) and had like a 8ish % ROI over around 200 games.

side note: damn this is getting long I don’t know if I would read this far, I’m going to wrap it up lol

Current. I’ve been playing PLO cash for the past month and a bit (had some experience before in home games only). I think im doing ok at the PLO10 level, ive recently tried to play the PLO10 deep ante level (I use it as like a middle step between PLO10 and PLO25 and also lets me get familiar with the deep ante game type for the future if theres good games I’d like to play). I’m using a 30 BI rule which is pretty aggressive I suppose but I think I have a high enough edge that I’m not at too much risk of having a huge down swing (hey I could be wrong lol but taking a thought out chance).

Blog posts. I’m not 100% certain what types of posts I will be making yet but they probably will include some interesting spots that may be useful for our games and maybe some life posts about finance if there are any other finance guys here (I read a bit and I have a small internship coming up in the fall with a boutique investment bank so I can share experiences and perspectives).

Goals. I like to keep things simple (even tho the post was kinda long lol, but usually) so my goals are simple. Play a lot and talk to people, maybe watch a video here and there but I don’t like videos that much atm (except some great ones from pokerstrategy :] ) because I find they take you away from your own game and own thinking abilities. Maybe will elaborate on that on a later post. Phil Ivey actually made a nice post on it: http://www.pokerlistings.com/blog/pro-tips/dont-read-this-tip

Hopefully there’s some other players (don’t have to be PLO players, just poker/investment thinkers which everyone here is) who would like to share ideas and hopefully in the end open each others minds to new stuff we wouldn’t have achieved alone.

Take care guys,
      Danny

Oh here's a random picture so my post doesn't look so boring

• 14 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Wow, that's some opening post! So much information to attack and ask about..

Welcome to our blogging section!

Hmm, you told us so much... I'm not sure where to start asking questions... Do you speak any polish or mandarin? What's with all the finance-minded people doing poker lately?
      How come you made the move from HUsng to PLO Cashgame?

30BI can be risky in the micros, but if you feel confident enough, I'm sure it'll help speed your rise through the ranks! Just don't forget to increase it as you go higher.
      Do you buy in for the full 250bb on the deep/ante tables?

Regarding what content to put in your blog, well, that's completely up to you I suppose, it's your blog!

And for your closing statement: Iveyfan, eh? :)

Hope to see you around more.

Regards,
      Richard
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Hey Richard

Gin-do-breh (I think that's "how are you" in Polish haha) and my Chinese half is Cantonese so Wei, lei-ho-mah to everyone who understands that lol (that's hi how are you I'm pretty sure). And.... thats about the extent of my background languages that I know (kinda sad I know lol) but I think I'm going to try and pick up Cantonese once I've graduated and maybe spend a bit of time in Hong Kong with my family there.

Lol is there a lot of finance people? Good news :D

I wonder if the deep ante games attract a tougher player pool than the regular stack games (I found that they were decently tougher than PLO10. Anyone have experience with this? If this is the case, I think I will stick with 30 BI for PLO25 then thereafter increase my BI rule to maybe 40 BI for the next level.

I buy in for a bit less than the full $25 actually, so I'm kind of regular stacking it in the deep games which just allows me to play a bit bigger I feel.

Thanks! :D

Lol yea I think Ivey is the sickest (Galfond is also a favorite player of mine)
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Whoops I forgot to answer why I switched from no limit holdem HU SNG to PLO cash games.

Well my dream is to one day play in the big games online and looking at the lobby, the most action is at PLO cash games, also I think PLO is more math based which I feel comfortable with as I weigh probabilities and odds to an extent for my classes like equity valuation too.

I liked HU SNG a lot, I learned a lot about psychology I think there and anticipating peoples reactions in future spots based off of a hand played before. I still play some HU SNGs (both PLO and NLH) here and there too.
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      Best of luck :) PLO is a fantastic game, and imo, the future of poker.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GodlikeRoy
      Best of luck :) PLO is a fantastic game, and imo, the future of poker.
      Thanks a lot GodlikeRoy
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Update: Got silver status on stars today which is good because I didn't play for 10 days this month and I usually don't get it anyways. Hopefully I'll notice more FPPs coming in so I can cash for the 4,500 FPP $50 cash which will help me get to PLO25.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey man,

Nice start to your blog, i'll be following :) just getting into PLO myself, only playing PLO4 atm though will catch you up soon ;)

I suck at playing deep! How are you finding it so far? Do you find it much trickier to play?

30BIs is fine imo for up to PLO10 not sure how much the difference in player ability is going from 10 to 25 but personally i'd probably fancy a few extra buy-ins when i move up to PLO25

You got any graphs or cool hands to show us?

Anyway look forward to more updates

Carl
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Hey Carl

Awesome, PLO's the way to go these days :)

Deep is tougher, gotta worry about more decisions, but in general, play tighter from OOP and that helps a lot I find

I don't have any graphs (I'm trying to stay away from focusing on that short term stuff because I'm still under 100k hands, once I hit 100k hands, I'll probably post something). Here's a hand I played that I thought was cool...

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.10 BB (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($39.12)
      UTG ($28.71)
      Button ($9.81)
      Hero (SB) ($32.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, A, K, 5
      UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.48, BB calls $0.38, UTG raises to $2, Hero calls $1.52, BB calls $1.52

Preflop: after I get limp/3bet I figure its aces most the time

Flop: ($6.08) J, 3, 7 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1, BB calls $1, UTG calls $1

Flop: I lead $1 because I got a pretty decent hand on a lot of turns (29% equity vs. aces on flop) and I can play it kind of deceptively if I bink

Turn: ($9.08) 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $4.90, Hero folds, BB calls $4.90

Turn: I was thinking about putting out another barrel but then decided just to check and hope to see a free card with my flush and guttor draws

Then UTG bets the turn and this was the more interesting part of the hand for me. Against naked aces I'm about 27% on turn so I could make this call (needing greater than 26% equity; and that's without even considering getting paid more on river if I bink), also considering the BB guy could give me better odds on my call if he decides to call too. However I decided that this particular UTG player would only be making this bet on the turn if he had the A high flush draw, so I folded and he happend to have that hand so I felt pretty happy with my read after.

River: ($18.88) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks

Total pot: $18.88 | Rake: $0.85

Results below:

BB had 5, Q, 8, Q (one pair, Queens).
      UTG had A, 5, A, J (one pair, Aces).
      Outcome: UTG won $18.03

Best of luck,
      Danny
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      If you aim to hit the higher stakes, and you think you are a winning player all the way through, that 30bin BRM is fine. As long as you remember to drop down if you happen to lose. The bigger your BRM is, the harder it is to raise to the next level.

In case you want to play regularly on some level, without a fear that you might need to drop down, then you need bigger BRM.

It doesn't matter what your BRM is as long as you follow it, you shouldn't go broke. Even if you had 10bin BRM, that's not a problem. You just go up and down on levels, depending on how you roll.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      I'm comfy with 30BI right now. I don't really want to move down when I go up because your hourly gets cut in half, so I'd hate to go on a downswing then drop down and have half my EV so it would take twice as long to get back up if you know what I mean.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Like you said though, I'm going to just have to rely on myself to gauge how big an edge I think I have and how high variance style I have to play, then if I need more BI, I'll add em to my requirements. Hopefully can use 30 BI for PLO25 still
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bigdwong
      Like you said though, I'm going to just have to rely on myself to gauge how big an edge I think I have and how high variance style I have to play, then if I need more BI, I'll add em to my requirements. Hopefully can use 30 BI for PLO25 still
      As you said, what kind of style you play has a massive impact here..

If you try to play a bit of smallball just as you move up, while you pad your roll a little, I imagine it'll be ok. But if you play a high variance style with quite loose stackoffs, it may be a bit too low.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Hit my 30 BI mark for the PLO25 games, so I'm going to start trying to feel out those games next. Is anyone else playing this level?

Here's a big hand I played vs. some regular players the other day that I managed to bink this time:

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($10)
      MP ($15.14)
      Button ($31.67)
      SB ($42.82)
      Hero (BB) ($18.98)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 10, K, 9
      1 fold, MP bets $0.30, Button calls $0.30, SB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $1, MP calls $0.80, Button raises to $5.60, SB calls $4.50, Hero calls $4.50, MP raises to $15.12 (All-In), Button raises to $31.65 (All-In), SB calls $26.05, Hero calls $13.36 (All-In)

Flop: ($97.48) 3, Q, A (4 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: ($97.48) 2 (4 players, 3 all-in)

River: ($97.48) 8 (4 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $97.48 | Rake: $1.50

Button mucked 6, 7, A, A (three of a kind, Aces).
      SB had 4, 5, 5, 2 (straight, five high).
      Hero had K, 10, K, 9 (flush, Ace high).
      MP mucked 5, 3, 6, 4 (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: SB won $25.38, Hero won $70.60

Take care guys hope you play well and run good!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Bump

Hey sir, been looking \at some of your threads in the hand eval section which brought me back to your blog :)