Big pocket pairs in early position

• p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      say I'm playing at an aggressive table n I pick up a big pocket pair AA/KK/QQ from early position, do you think it might be a good idea limping n hoping to get raised?

Most the time when I raise early everyone folds. I've seen people limp with AA quite a few times n its paid off big (had it done to me also -_-)

One time i picked up AA utg in a KO tourny on the first hand n KO tournies are usually very aggressive, so I limped in and a few folds then CO raised... button reraised and SB reraised that... I was thinking perfect!!! BB called all those raises SO i pushed all in and got 3 callers one had QQ the other had KT and I cant remember what the other had (some ^!%"ty hand probably) and I won at showdown.

It worked perfectly then but it could also go wrong if no one raises and I get drawn out on.
  • 20 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I dont know if theres a site teaching people to limp AA. Because the last few weeks its been happening alot. It can be profitable limping AA in certain positions, but it seems certain people limp AA everytime, which isn't the best option IMO.
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      no no no and no,what happens if someone limps example 55 and hits a set?Then you're going to loose a big pot or have to lay down those Aces that you have waited for 1 hour.
      Just hoping to get raised isn't very good idea.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      ok thx, I very rarely limp with Aces anyway, just sometimes if the tables extremely aggressive, or if its HU n theyre pushing every other hand. Just now lost a sng on the bubble to KK limping preflop -_-
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      Most of the time with AA/KK/QQ you will either win a small pot or lose a big pot. Raising preflop helps prevent losing big pots imo.
    • gemgem69
      gemgem69
      Bronze
      I think on low limits this could be profitable. But higher up limits players cotton on. Even I will lay down that Aj when I see a regular limp utg for a gd proportion of his stack it just looks so bloody obvious.

There's an example somewhere of Albatoss77 liimpin utg with KK who is a famous low limit player.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      Everytime you limp UTG with aces god kills a kitten.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I hate kittens :)
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      i love kittens so i wont do it again!!

I tried it in an 18man sng just then to test it and it went VERY wrong, with about 7 players left I limped with AA and 2 people called PF.

9 Q x on the flop (2 diamonds) I raised when SB bet and CO called with JT diamonds and obviously hit their diamond.
      Lucky i had 600 chips left!! and managed to win a few all ins n came 3rd in the end. N the person who'd had JT came 2nd I think so grrrr I shoulda won! o well, learnt my lesson at least.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sw0ldo
      Everytime you limp UTG with aces god kills a kitten.

BOOM HEADSHOT
    • vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      it matters how disciplined you are. if you limp and it just so happens that no one raises. and say you have aces and the board pairs. or if there are straight and flush possibilities, you must be prepared to put your aces down. Because even though preflop they are no.1 they arn't always on the flop. Also position is really important. I think just limping in early position is a rad idea, especially in an aggressive table, but late, ur asking for trouble.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      It worked perfectly then but it could also go wrong if no one raises and I get drawn out on.
      problem with your example is that you have no idea whatsoever how well it would've worked if you had just raised it to begin with. most likely, they'd still go broke with their QQ/KT/72o
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      problem with your example is that you have no idea whatsoever how well it would've worked if you had just raised it to begin with. most likely, they'd still go broke with their QQ/KT/72o
      very true.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      the flop was 333 then K n somethin else on the river, I guess it could have gone very wrong if no one raised and someone with a 3 limped in. I can see QQ calling/betting the flop and KT calling on the turn if they were still in the hand.

But yeh I realise its a bad idea if it doesnt go to plan big pairs are usually best heads up and not in a multiway pot (had to fold KK on an ace high board with multible callers -_-)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      i wouldnt do it in a sng. I would easily do it in an mtt with some reads. Sklansky even says it's allright to limp BEHIND with AA sometimes, because smart people like us will think "why would anyone do such a stupid thing?". I think it's all read-dependant, and playing 20$+ mtt's completely abc doesn't seem the best line to me. Read HoH and sklansky, they'll give you some pointers for tricky plays like this one.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      nick you far overrate the skill level at 20$+ MTT's. especially early stages, the regulars are typically playing upwards of 12 tables, so limping behind with AA is just asking for trouble.

but sure, there are spots where it's ok
    • dirtyibis
      dirtyibis
      Bronze
      I'm a Sklansky student and I say it's definitely ok to limp big pairs utg. The reason why people are advised to not limp big pairs is because many players can't fold their big pairs because they don't understand pot commitment and stack to pot ratio concepts. Limping pairs hoping to get raised is great vs aggressive fish. It is not good vs astute players as they will always fold to your re raise knowing you have AA or KK, unless you mix it up by limpraising weaker hands, which i would not suggest. I like to limp early with KK and AA maybe 5% of the time just to mix it up, and 50/50 with QQ because i generally like to play QQ cautiously, as I do 1010 and JJ. You should be far less inclined to play this way in an sng as opposed to cash games. In an sng you should be willing to go to the wall with your big hands and accumulate. Nick is spot on, it's all read dependent. Until you're comfortable playing any 2 from any position against all types of players, you should be playing abc, but that doesn't mean other ways can't be more profitable
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      nick you far overrate the skill level at 20$+ MTT's. especially early stages, the regulars are typically playing upwards of 12 tables, so limping behind with AA is just asking for trouble.

but sure, there are spots where it's ok
      Where did I say limping behind in a 20+$ mtt was a good idea?
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      LIMPING WITH BIG PAIRS IS JUST BAD IN 99.99% OF CASES, DON'T DO IT, SAVE THE KITTENS.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sw0ldo
      LIMPING WITH BIG PAIRS IS JUST BAD IN 99.99% OF CASES, DON'T DO IT, SAVE THE KITTENS.
      :D :D