not getting married to your cards strat guide

• vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      pretty self explanatory. I remember when I first starting playing poker and reading up about %'s and starting hands ext ext and getting pissed off when my AQ lost over and over again to somones pair of 8's or whatever. I think its a really important concept to grasp, about playing with not just your cards and how good they were preflop but how it hit the board and how to throw away "monster hands" after the flop. I mean having to lay down QQ on a 9 5 A board is hard, but sometimes has to be done.
      Donno.
      What you guys think?
  • 15 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Its common sense!! Dont really get the point of this post!!
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      I assume you are talking about NL here.
      IF you play SSS, the rules are quite strict. If you dont hit the flop hard enough, you check/fold and so,against one opponent you bet and so on.
      If you play real poker though, decisions have to be made.Of course, no one wants to go broke with overcards/mid pair/under PP. But lack of aggression is also something bad.So sometimes you have to choose your spots, (c)bet/raise and find out if your hand is beat or not.
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Its common sense!! Dont really get the point of this post!!
      Actually, there is some point of his post.
      Beginners lack Postflop play knowedge, and very often they go broke with overcards or so.Even if they play SSS, sometimes they misunderstand the rules of going all in, no matter what . Then, they think that their PF raise with AK ,called by 89s, followed by their allin on 872 flop being called is a bad beat.
      They also dont seem to get the concept that the money in the pot is not theirs anymore, and feel commited even if they are not.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      PMSL
    • vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      PMSL?????????????
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      @vermoon - "Pissed myself laughting"
      @cannell555 dont be so arrogant.everyone was a beginner once
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      poast of the year tbh
    • vermoont
      vermoont
      Bronze
      hey chops, obviously this stuff is all very obvious, but to a new player it might not, and often isn't. Are you telling me that the first time you played you could lay down QQ on a 6C 8D AC board?
      I am proposing an extra write up in the beginners strategy part, not a ground breaking discovery
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vermoont
      hey chops, obviously this stuff is all very obvious, but to a new player it might not, and often isn't. Are you telling me that the first time you played you could lay down QQ on a 6C 8D AC board?
      I am proposing an extra write up in the beginners strategy part, not a ground breaking discovery
      Your good spirit will get you far young Bronze. :)
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      I mean having to lay down QQ on a 9 5 A board is hard, but sometimes has to be done.
      Donno.
      What you guys think?

It's easy fold, but AA is another question :)
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      AK/Q/J is a big no no for an all in push preflop. Any pocket pair beats that and if you are playing SSS you will get called more often than not by 88 to AA. There are just too many hands capable of beating Ax that it's really not worth it. Make a small raise

JJ and down is also a big no no. It looks pretty but can be beaten by AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQ/AJ etc. Remember, not everyone folds Ax hands preflop against a raise and all they need is 1 Ace to beat you. Just because they call with Ax still doesn't mean you should.

If you have a hand like QQ/JJ/TT etc. and you see the flop cheap enough then follow this rule. If there is any card on the flop bigger than your pair and you did not hit a set do not call any bets. If you are first to act then make a continuation bet and if it gets raised or even just called be very careful. If it is called and you miss the turn then check it down. Fold to any bets.

The only hands you can really push all in preflop with confidence is KK/AA/QQ. However QQ you only push with if you are in a good position to do so and sure you have the best hand. If you are not sure rather fold QQ if you are pushed all in. It sucks to do it but it will save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

Well that's my 10c worth. :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sismis
      I mean having to lay down QQ on a 9 5 A board is hard, but sometimes has to be done.
      Donno.
      What you guys think?

you can if it's on FTP, since you'll be against 88 EVERY time. Which of course means that turn and river will be 8, 8.
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      Originally posted by sismis
      Donno.
      What you guys think?

you can if it's on FTP, since you'll be against 88 EVERY time. Which of course means that turn and river will be 8, 8.
      straight up! hahaha that happened to me last night, kk got cracked by 88 on the riv, AA always get cracked by AK suited just suited, off suit never cracks my AA....
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HennieP
      AK/Q/J is a big no no for an all in push preflop. Any pocket pair beats that and if you are playing SSS you will get called more often than not by 88 to AA. There are just too many hands capable of beating Ax that it's really not worth it. Make a small raise

JJ and down is also a big no no. It looks pretty but can be beaten by AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQ/AJ etc. Remember, not everyone folds Ax hands preflop against a raise and all they need is 1 Ace to beat you. Just because they call with Ax still doesn't mean you should.

If you have a hand like QQ/JJ/TT etc. and you see the flop cheap enough then follow this rule. If there is any card on the flop bigger than your pair and you did not hit a set do not call any bets. If you are first to act then make a continuation bet and if it gets raised or even just called be very careful. If it is called and you miss the turn then check it down. Fold to any bets.

The only hands you can really push all in preflop with confidence is KK/AA/QQ. However QQ you only push with if you are in a good position to do so and sure you have the best hand. If you are not sure rather fold QQ if you are pushed all in. It sucks to do it but it will save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

Well that's my 10c worth. :)

So your basically proposing to only play AA and KK?
      I wonder what your VP$IP is?
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Originally posted by debelinko

So your basically proposing to only play AA and KK?
      ?
      But of course !
      You should fold KK against all in too!