Getting gunshy when close to the money bubble

• DalTXColtsFan
      DalTXColtsFan
      Basic
      I know that bad beads are part of poker and that's just life, but I'm taking a significant number of bad or at best unlucky beats 2 or 3 places from the money.

I don't want to become the type of player who goes into shell, folds into the cash, and never actually gives himself a chance to actually WIN a tournament, but all of this what looks like blatant bad luck is really starting to get to me.

A little emotional reassurance that these weren't just horrible plays and I should continue to play them the same would be appreciated:

1. 3 players from cashing, #3 in chips, QQ in the cutoff with about 13bb. UTG, #2 in chips, limps. I raise to 3bb. He shoves. I HAVE to call there. He has AQo and sucks out on me.
      2. 3 players from cashing, 8bb, AJs UTG. I think I HAVE to shove that - can't afford to wait around for a pair. Chip leader has AQo and wins.
      3. I get to see a free flop with 35 after SB completes and everyone else folds. I have about 12bb. About 6 people from the money. I flop A24 and shove. Villain has 67s and runner-runners a flush.
      4. Another case where I got to see a free flop with Q7o after chip leader in SB completed. Flop was 742. I decide to bet pot. He calls. Turn is a 9. I don't think he has a 9, I'm almost out of chips so I shove for about 2/3 of the pot. He calls. He had A3 and rivered a 5.
      5. Having just made the money, #3 in chips at the table with about 27bb, I open-shove AJo from UTG+1. Chip leader in MP calls with A9o and turns a 9.

Admittedly it might have been unnecessary to open-shove in #5.

Other than that were any of these truly bad plays?

Should I resist my fears and not give into the temptation of folding into the money when I'm that close?
  • 4 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      1. Why do you raise? Push the 13BB yourself ;)

2. nh

3. Why do you open push? You will lose value doing so. Place a normal 50% potsize Continuation Bet instead. Bring it in on the turn.

4. You should push pre if you had <20BB.
      As played: Why do you bet potsize? Way too much. Bet half the pot on Flop and Turn, shove the rest on the river.

5. Why do you open shove for 27BB? You will always be called by better hands while most worse hands will fold. Open raise 2,5BB and see a flop.

I think you are making a lot of mistakes. Especially your betsizings seem to be out of line. Furthermore there probably are some fundamental problems in understanding the game. I would suggest our MTT strategy articles, our MTT videos and our hand evaluation forums if you want to improve your game.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • DalTXColtsFan
      DalTXColtsFan
      Basic
      Thank you asaban - good feedback, and I will review those articles and vids.

About potting the pair of 7s on the flop specifically, other people told me that was a spewy mistake, but I had seen that villain call half-pot bets with air at least 4 times. The probability that he had K7, A7, 44 or 22 was miniscule at that point. I WANTED HIM TO FOLD even if I was ahead so that if he had overcards he couldn't draw out on me.

Was I wrong to expect him to fold to a pot bet but not fold to a half-pot bet there?
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      To be honest, none of those beats should get to you. I get all that and more in a standard session at the tables. If you can't cope with bad beats and variance then you need to work on your mindset.

Just reading your post i can tell you play pretty tight and i doubt you are shoving as wide as you need to be when approaching the money or in btn/bvb situations. You need to study hard, work on your shoving ranges, and read the articles Asaban suggested. Posting hands for evaluation is also very helpful but be wary of who responds. Only listen to the good players!
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Since all hands in our hand evaluation forums are judged by professional coaches there shouldn't be a problem in the quality of answers. If you are not satisfied with a judgement feel free to give us your feedback in the feedback forums.

Regards,
      Asaban