Global situation in poker

• HansTheGreat
      HansTheGreat
      Bronze
      Hey PS and everybody,

We lately are bombared with news about Greece,Spain,Portugal, Italy and such countries where the situation is not the best( my dear Croatia is also not an exception :D ). So I was wondering how much the current situation in Europe reflects on the current poker market. I mean by that mostly on higher stakes NL100+ because on my NL25 probably not much. Since people have in a lot of countries less money did the games became thougher? Did you guys still meet ~88/50 players or should I better say the ''lovely'' players :D
      Personally I noticed that PartyPoker is growing in terms of player pools (lately was close to 40k at a moment) but still doesnt have to mean that it is getting better on higher limits
  • 15 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Generally speaking in times of recession you can always count on two booming markets;

1/ Gambling
      2/ Alcohol

As most casual players view Poker as gambling, I see no fear for the Poker market ;)
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Generally speaking in times of recession you can always count on two booming markets;

1/ Gambling
      2/ Alcohol

As most casual players view Poker as gambling, I see no fear for the Poker market ;)
      i see the point for alcohol but don't rly get the point in gambling. Do you have further info on this?
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Shevtshenko

i see the point for alcohol but don't rly get the point in gambling. Do you have further info on this?
      I think both go very well together. Here, in Romania, drinking is (sadly) a national sport, and the main occupation of all those guys that get drunk every night is gambling. They essentially play video poker and roulette, but you can find them anywhere as long as there is action.
      Also many of my co nationals use a part of their meager income for sports betting and lottery. It seems the easiest way to win a lot of money fast even if the odds are total bull crap. Imagine that here, you can bet on what will be the results of the Polish, UK, French (etc) lottery... Gambling really seems to be a big deal, especially since the beginning of the recession that is very very hard here.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan

I think both go very well together. Here, in Romania, drinking is (sadly) a national sport, and the main occupation of all those guys that get drunk every night is gambling. They essentially play video poker and roulette, but you can find them anywhere as long as there is action.
      Also many of my co nationals use a part of their meager income for sports betting and lottery. It seems the easiest way to win a lot of money fast even if the odds are total bull crap. Imagine that here, you can bet on what will be the results of the Polish, UK, French (etc) lottery... Gambling really seems to be a big deal, especially since the beginning of the recession that is very very hard here.
      This.

Everyone views the lottery and sports betting as an easy fix by winning lots of cash ;) I'm sure if you looked at lottery sales or sports betting sales during the recent times of austerity you will see that they have risen.

People are looking for their "one time" so to speak.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze

People are looking for their "one time" so to speak.
      That is exactly the spirit. Most of my friends who play poker are playing exclusively in this manner. They play tournaments having absolutely no regards whatsoever for bankroll management or poker tactics waiting for the big win. You can imagine that people like me, who almost never drink, never gamble and play poker with a strict bankroll management, are the freaks of this freakshow. :]
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Well maybe thats why its easier to win money these days than it was 5 years ago.

Or maybe its just because I'm a better player now than then :s_cry:

Maybe its a mixture of the two.

But hey let the good times roll :s_biggrin:
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      I thought you might be interested in reading this.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MisClick
      Interesting. Shocked by year on year figures. Less shocked by weekly figures as there are university exams ongoing and also its summer time now.
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MisClick
      Interesting. Shocked by year on year figures. Less shocked by weekly figures as there are university exams ongoing and also its summer time now.
      Anyone even heard of the Chico Poker Network?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black

1/ Gambling
      2/ Alcohol

Well i always found it funny that some old degen living on 250€ a month social security find the money to sit at a bar all day long smoking cigaretes and making sports bets.
    • SwordsDrawn
      SwordsDrawn
      Bronze
      I would say that people who were able to play higher stakes than nl100 are able to play still, regardless of what's happening in Greece for example. Unless they are busy demonstrating.

Perhaps here's someone from Greece who could comment of how hard it is to get your money out of banks? There could be some problems I imagine.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47

1/ Gambling
      2/ Alcohol

Well i always found it funny that some old degen living on 250€ a month social security find the money to sit at a bar all day long smoking cigaretes and making sports bets.
      Yup, see it every single day.
    • Haroldgold
      Haroldgold
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SwordsDrawn
      I would say that people who were able to play higher stakes than nl100 are able to play still, regardless of what's happening in Greece for example. Unless they are busy demonstrating.

Perhaps here's someone from Greece who could comment of how hard it is to get your money out of banks? There could be some problems I imagine.
      Any Greece poker player can comment this ?
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Greek players are far to busy fishing to post here :f_biggrin:
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      Greek players are far to busy fishing to post here :f_biggrin: