[NL2-NL10] NL10 semi-bluff shove

• ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      sorry 'bout the format, i just have no converter or anything.

UTG: bball55---------$1.45
      villain1: IMTD------$12.25
      UTG+2: NONI13----$8.85
      UTG+3: elfuhr------$3.35
      villain2: iching64--$13.20
      CO: HERO----------$14.45
      BTN: GoyasGhost---$5.30
      SB: Diada-------------$1.90
      BB: hawfinch---------$2

Diada posts the small blind of $0.05
      hawfinch posts the big blind of $0.10

GoyasGhost has the Button

*** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to Hero [A:club: Q:club: ]

UTG folds
      villain1 calls $0.10
      UTG+2 folds
      UTG+3 folds
      villain2 raises to $0.45
      Hero re-raises to $1.25
      BTN folds
      villain1 calls $1.15
      villain2 calls $0.80

POT - $3.90

*** FLOP ***[9:club: 3:spade: 9:heart:]
      villain1 checks
      villain2 checks
      Hero bets $2.50
      villain1 calls $2.50
      villain2 folds

POT - $8.90

*** TURN ***[4:club: ]
      villain1 checks
      Hero bets $10.70, and is all in

Results:
      villain1 folds
      Uncalled bet of $10.70 returned to Hero
      Hero shows [Ac Qc] a pair of Nines
      Hero wins the pot ($8.05)

let me know what you think of the play. i put him on something like TT or JJ, possibly QQ or KK, all of which i thought i could make him lay down. AA would call i believe, but i also believe AA would re-raise preflop (and i had an A, so that lowers it as well).

i figure with all that pressure he can't call...but IF he does, i still have outs.

i don't believe i had a loose image either so that's another reason why i think this play worked. and also the fact that i had him covered :-)

and tbh if he bets big on flop, or even on turn after calling my bet on the flop, i'm more than likely going out 100% of the time. another reason why i even made the play, he seemed pretty weak.
  • 9 replies
    • Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      I'd definitly check behind the turn, since he showed strength on the flop and the bet is totally speculativly (does this word exist in english...?If not i'll explain later) Also if he calls he would only do it with trips or perhaps an overpair against which you maximally have 7 outs, so about 14%.
      I'd never do this, no matter how weak my opponents are, but perhaps that's a bit too passive.
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      the bet on the turn isn't speculative imo, since i already know what he has basically.

after the pre-flop and flop action i had to put him on TT, JJ, or QQ maybe KK.

but with all the strength i showed in the hand i think it was very reasonable (from the villain's perspective) that i could have had a higher pair than he did.
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      I highly doubt that KK or QQ would fold at this spot. Why not check behind and see if you hit your pair or flush and work from there.
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      i tend to get very aggressive when i get into a pot.

that seems to be my downfall sometimes i guess, but a lot of times it pays off.

i didn't check behind because i didn't want to wait till the river. i just went with my gut basically.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      On this limit bluffing is burning money. I would also not reraise preflop. I would just call.
      As played i check behind on the turn. With very good reads pushing is possible. But i do not suggest to do it.

best regards,
      tribuncaesar
    • Tukaluga
      Tukaluga
      Bronze
      villain1 folds
      Uncalled bet of $10.70 returned to Hero
      Hero shows [Ac Qc] a pair of Nines
      Hero wins the pot ($8.05)

i am not sure but that seems to me like u showed ur cards after that big bluff!?

i won+t blame my oppenents here so it gets even harder to bluff him again^^
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      thanks for the thread on how to post sample hands, i'll look into that soon.

and yeah i did show my hand afterwards. ^_^

i usually try to loosen up the table a bit by showing a few bluffs and then tightening up and wait to stack 'em when they think i'm out of line again.

then after i show a few monsters i'll wait another 1/2 hour and toss another bluff in. it's all about timing and playing off of how your opponent is really.
    • Petrificus
      Petrificus
      Bronze
      So then, i hope your timing stays right ;-)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      3bet preflop is OK, flopbet is good. I'd check behind on the turn, reevaluate the river. No flush/Q or A on river is check/fold.

Can't say I don't like your play though... its a bit to loose-agressive for a paired board. On an unpaired board I would have made the same play.

"the bet on the turn isn't speculative imo, since i already know what he has basically.

after the pre-flop and flop action i had to put him on TT, JJ, or QQ maybe KK."

I dont think so... all those hands would have bet on all streets (unless it's a VERRY passive player). I'd say medium pocket pair (<9), A10+ KJ+. Depends on his preflop raiserange.