[NL2-NL10] JJ vs maniac NL5 FR

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      this was a standard move imo. he was 41/41ish thru like 17 hands and had a remarkable stat: his 3 bet was a whopping ...44%?! yes. 44%. he was calling and raising everything, but never folding to any bet preflop. should i have just bet like 2.50 pre and AI on flop or just shove preflop and pray?? i think the way i played it is pretty +EV and pretty standard. just got really unlucky he had what he had:

PokerStars - $0.05 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP+1: $1.44
      LP: $12.15
      CO: $13.02
      BTN: $4.89
      SB: $5.25
      BB: $6.14
      UTG: $5.41
      UTG+1: $4.83
      Hero (MP): $7.56

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has J:heart: J:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.15, UTG+1 raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.62, 2 players) 4:spade: Q:heart: T:heart:
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $6.36 and is all-in, UTG+1 calls $3.63 and is all-in

Turn: ($9.88, 2 players) J:club:

River: ($9.88, 2 players) 4:diamond:

UTG+1 shows Q:club: A:heart: (Two Pair, Queens and Fours) (Pre 43%, Flop 88%, Turn 9%)
      Hero shows J:heart: J:diamond: (Full House, Jacks full of Fours) (Pre 57%, Flop 12%, Turn 91%)
      Hero wins $9.47
  • 6 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      not sure i like the flop shove because it's overpot and also then he doesn't have any more fold equity on you.
      maybe a weak bet to let him shove over
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      id never be able to let him draw to something there, and his post flop play is unknown at this point.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      With these 3-bet happy maniacs I like just shoving over their preflop raise. They are never folding AQ*, AJ, JTs, 99...let them pay for their foolishness.

I dislike the flop shove because worse made hands don't call (SDs do) and we have no fold equity against better hands.

* Did not read spoiler before saying this.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Im betting for value on the flop, hoping he has ovrrcards or a lower pair or a draw. Im still not 100% sure he calls a straight shove pre. I am 99% sure he calls at leat $2/2.50 now though.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ilovemagic,

First of all, you have just 17 hands, the guy could even have 100% a 3bet. :) So taking a look into that is a leak and don't take into account the 3bet stats while just having 17 hands. Only dynamics are reasonable here what come into handy and how we saw the guy playing.

About the play I don't really like the shove, what's the purpose of it? You already show a lot strength preflop by 4betting so I don't really see many worse hands calling you anyways there. If he has a made hand he is going to pay you anyways if not then he wont. I'd rather bet myself something like $1 and induce him to bluff or come along with worse PPs or draws than shove which will just scare away a lot worse hands and mainly stronger ones continue.

Best Regards.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      Im betting for value on the flop, hoping he has ovrrcards or a lower pair or a draw. Im still not 100% sure he calls a straight shove pre. I am 99% sure he calls at leat $2/2.50 now though.
      I'm not 100% he calls with AQ based on what we know of him so far, but I am 90% sure. The thing about shoving pre against someone whose calling range is behind us is that you get all the money in, which is what you want; you are not making a mistake because we are ahead of their range and you also can't make any mistakes postflop.

My 2c is that maniacs tend to call shoves with all kinds of junk pre - suited connectors for instance - but post flop they can fold if they miss horribly. Better to just lock it in ahead of the flop, of course if you have had a chance to play with someone and develop some read contrary to that you should go with your info.