Mobile Poker , Android, New Zealand question

• Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      Ok, so i have a few questions about moblie poker.

Firstly, i understand that Pokerstars Mobile Poker is an APP that is available for android devices, among others.

Now i'm not sure if this question is specific to my country or not, my country being New Zealand, the question is more about android then poker i guess but i dont know where to find out, so here goes.

When one is playing mobile poker on a cellphone with android, what kind of internet connection is required? can this be played through regular home wireless internet?

Another of my understandings i'm not so sure about is that if one is playing a game over the internet on an android device then it's using mobile internet data, which is alot more expencive?? I'm not sure.

But if it is more expencive then wouldnt it make playing on a mobile phone -EV if your playing micro stakes.

Like say i get a mobile device with android PURLY for the chance to play poker on the go, but if i only play at 2nl-5nl then the cost of the data might outweigh any profit i could ever make?
  • 2 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi,

Most mobile operators tend to offer fixed price data plans for X amount of data traffic, this is basically a requirement to even consider playing mobile poker.

If you're going to be playing on a "pay per megabyte" basis, I wouldn't recommend it, even if the data consumption is really rather low, as it's just transferring hand information and all graphics are located in your phone.

Playing while on a wireless network with a smartphone will not use "data traffic" from your operator however, so that's quite fine if you don't have a fixed data plan.

(in my case, I'm paying like $10 for 2.5gb, so I'm never bothered!)

And finally, with regard to NZ, I believe PokerStars have now released their mobile app worldwide so no country restrictions(except possibly if your country doesn't allow mobile poker) should apply.

Regards,
      Richard
    • Vip3rNZ
      Vip3rNZ
      Silver
      thanks for the fast reply :D it helped alot!