Getting back after a break

    • XandreW36
      XandreW36
      Platinum
      Joined: 05.09.2010 Posts: 197
      Hello.

      Does anybody have any free advice to share :tongue: on how get back in grinding mode after a longer break. I'm finding it a bit hard to revert everything back to normal now as my 2 week vacation prolonged to almost a month. I feel lazy and unmotivated (prolly to a downswing that I had and shitty results lately overall), but I'm constantly thinking about how I need to ''get back to work'' and yet again, I'm not doing it...

      Any input welcome, thank you..
  • 10 replies
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.11.2011 Posts: 93
      ur diamond... why do need our advice?
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.07.2010 Posts: 170
      I recently had the same problem, got back into WoW and didn't sit at a poker table for three months... I know the feeling!

      Luckily for me, my WoW subscription ran out just as I was wanting to play poker again, once my subscription ran out I started playing poker then never got back to renewing WoW. :) (Had to not buy Diablo 3 because I knew the same thing would happen lol.)

      As for some advice... I have no idea? Maybe try starting off just playing a few hours each day... Lots of short sessions.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 19.11.2010 Posts: 5,596
      Moving this to learning to win where the pros can maybe help you out :)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.11.2008 Posts: 4,952
      Hey there,

      start small weekly projects, then increase the number of hours you play per week each time. I suggest having a project one week and then playing as much as you want to another week (make sure that you use this time for recovery as well).

      I write more in depth about projects in the projects section in my productivity guide, which is also in this forum.

      -SF
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.09.2010 Posts: 3,982
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there,

      start small weekly projects, then increase the number of hours you play per week each time. I suggest having a project one week and then playing as much as you want to another week (make sure that you use this time for recovery as well).

      I write more in depth about projects in the projects section in my productivity guide, which is also in this forum.

      -SF
      Here's a link to that, while we're at it!
      The Projects part is about 60% down the first page.

      The quick guide to skyrocketing your (poker) productivity

      Brilliant thread!

      Regards,
      Richard
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.10.2010 Posts: 156
      I usually find that once I start winning again I get into the groove and that takes me through.

      I've had plenty of breaks from Poker, in fact I'm currently in one now as I'm waiting for my money to clear before depositing on a different site.

      I tend to sit down in a big MTT and then play cash games alongside that. When I eventually make a deep run in the MTT I might have played 5 hours of cash tables before I get eliminated.

      That gets you into the groove again without any conscious effort on your part.
    • XandreW36
      XandreW36
      Platinum
      Joined: 05.09.2010 Posts: 197
      Originally posted by martiangoblin
      ur diamond... why do need our advice?
      I was afraid somebody would comment on this. :D

      My member status doesn't mean I'm experienced ''higher'' stakes player, it just mean that i raked bit more than $1.5k in a month, which I did playing NL25. As a matter of fact I still consider myself a poker newbie (with some knowledge, but much more left to learn, though).

      Sorry for babbling, I just had an urge to explain this.. :P

      Originally posted by mccol001
      I recently had the same problem, got back into WoW and didn't sit at a poker table for three months... I know the feeling!

      Luckily for me, my WoW subscription ran out just as I was wanting to play poker again, once my subscription ran out I started playing poker then never got back to renewing WoW. :) (Had to not buy Diablo 3 because I knew the same thing would happen lol.)

      As for some advice... I have no idea? Maybe try starting off just playing a few hours each day... Lots of short sessions.
      See your point here with WOW, and I can tell you: Don't buy Diablo 3 ! (sorry Blizzard) Not even a Starter Edition (I thought with starter edition I will satisfy my need and get over that game. But even there you can waste hours and hours) IT'S EVIL! Literally. :D

      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there,

      start small weekly projects, then increase the number of hours you play per week each time. I suggest having a project one week and then playing as much as you want to another week (make sure that you use this time for recovery as well).

      I write more in depth about projects in the projects section in my productivity guide, which is also in this forum.

      -SF
      Saw your thread and can only say; marvelous, and I bow to you for your effort there. Will surely touch on that as soon as I answer those first 3 questions to myself. And BTW I'm not sure that I fully understand 2nd Q: Who are you at your best? Maybe if you or someone can elaborate on that. It would be much appreciated...

      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      I usually find that once I start winning again I get into the groove and that takes me through.

      I've had plenty of breaks from Poker, in fact I'm currently in one now as I'm waiting for my money to clear before depositing on a different site.

      I tend to sit down in a big MTT and then play cash games alongside that. When I eventually make a deep run in the MTT I might have played 5 hours of cash tables before I get eliminated.

      That gets you into the groove again without any conscious effort on your part.
      Used to do something similar before...maybe I'll throw in few MTTs today...


      Thank you all for replies!
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2010 Posts: 977
      Originally posted by XandreW36
      Originally posted by martiangoblin
      ur diamond... why do need our advice?
      i raked bit more than $1.5k in a month, which I did playing NL25.
      How many hands is that? FR or 6max and what room is it?
      I just had it in my mind that to get diamond you need to like grind NL100, but I guess not
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.11.2008 Posts: 4,952
      Hey there,

      it's interesting, quite a few people have told me that the "Who are you at your best" question is a bit unclear. Therefore, I've added an explanation to the guide:

      This means how do you see yourself in the best possible way - what are your best values? For example, you see yourself as a dedicated and loyal person who is also a good listener and can always be counted on...

      I hope that makes sense.

      -SF
    • XandreW36
      XandreW36
      Platinum
      Joined: 05.09.2010 Posts: 197
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      Originally posted by XandreW36
      Originally posted by martiangoblin
      ur diamond... why do need our advice?
      i raked bit more than $1.5k in a month, which I did playing NL25.
      How many hands is that? FR or 6max and what room is it?
      I just had it in my mind that to get diamond you need to like grind NL100, but I guess not
      WPT poker, 6max, last month played 3342 NL10 and 81220 NL25 hands, totally raked $1.490,75 = 6718,11 + 810 bonus strategy points (received 500 bonus points for 'go for status' promotion).

      Hope it helps...


      @Schnitzelfisch

      Thank you, all clear now...