Does Poker stress you?

• suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Even though I like the game, I have to confess that when I´m not making money poker ceases to be fun and starts being annoying.

I play HUSNGs, hyper turbos for now, I´m over 50BI under EV in May. Some people maybe more resistant than I am in this aspect, but for me, it really crushes me when I´m putting in the hours and yet the money is not coming.

Actually, it leaves me very angry and I feel like I´m always about to explode for silly reasons. Nothing else in my life can stress me like poker does. I´m a calm person, it´s very hard for anything at all to get under my skin. But poker seems to have what it takes.

I wish it didnt make me this way, but when the money is going away, so does the fortitude to stay level-headed.

I already read Tendler´s book. I know I should be not be affected by results, but hey, I´m only human, can´t take infinite blows and feel it´s all good.

Yes, I´m just venting. It totally feels like working for nothing.
  • 28 replies
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      poker is like heroin... its fun at first and feels great when ur high, but will ultimately leave you broke and insane.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      yes poker stresses everyone out, but I have found that playing poker leads to me being less stressed out by other parts of my life.
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      I'm only at the beginning of my 'career' but so far i've found that i only feel angry if i lose while playing badly. Obv never experienced big swings and i hope i don't ever as i am playing cash games which have lower variance than sngs.
      I guess we must train ourselves to see the long run and we'll make it through, because there's only one way the graph can move on a huge sample if we play good and improve. :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      DW, your not the only one.
      I'm feeling the very exact way ATM.

I think the only thing we can do is work on our mental ability to handle the game, hopefully our brain grows stronger
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Playing a sicko variance game like Hyper turbo HUSNGs can't help the matter :f_o: stressed me out too when i tried to play those.

Generally, like has already been said here, since starting to play poker i've learnt to deal with other things in life a lot better things that would have tilted me in life before i just think meh variance and get on with it. I think overall i am definitely a more relaxed/chilled out person since starting to play poker.

There are times when playing that i start to get frustrated but when i start to feel it i quit and do something i enjoy for a while
    • TheMoment
      TheMoment
      Bronze

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Yes. This is something I want to get more control over.

Because I play at microstakes, a few bad beats against donkeys can set me off ranting and raving like a mad man. I don't feel bad about losing to good players (I learn from them), it's just the bingo callers that play their hands like utter morons, and then suck out despite the bad pot odds I lay them. A few of these coolers in succession and I will often explode into a tirade of 'fish' insults into the chat box.

I have disconnected the chat box on many of my poker accounts now. To deter me from calling bad players idiots and risking a ban from the poker site. Every dog has his day. The same for bad players. I know this. But sometimes you forget this after a succession of 'bad beats' or variance. So I would be grateful to know how to control my emotions better.

Has anyone smashed their computer monitor up in a rage? :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arthurbentley

I'm into my 3rd mouse now.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum
      I find myself to be pretty tilt-resistant and really enjoy playing, if i play a good session but loose due to suckouts and stuff i don t really tilt and i usually say to myself bravo you only lost 200$, where 90% of the people would loose 500$ and then tilt-off another 300$...

But the thing that tilts me the most, and when this happens i m on monkey-rage tilt, is when a reg plays astonishingly bad and then suckouts or makes a terrible play that just happens to be good...

I understand when someone s a fish and plays once a year and doesn t have a clue how to play and gets lucky against you, sucks out and stuff, and I m always like okay, what can you do there, i ll get his money sooner or later...

But when someone plays 5000 hands per day, every day and cant fold qq on a 7892 board with 2 hearts and you just picked up a flush draw to go with your openender and you decide to shove after he bet flop and turn, because you know he has an overpair and he has to fold it, because a) he beats nothing when you raise there b) you we played a lot with him and you now you we only been showing good hands in those spots and c)if he s ahead (which he is maybe once in 10 times) he s likely to be against a big combo draw and he still makes the call, and you brick ofc and he wins, thats the situation that puts me on mega-tilt...

I mean what the fuck do they expect to be ahead of there A9, JJ? Morons... You play all day, every day, and you still don t have a clue... How can anyone be that stupid? It not only stresses me, it makes me loose faith in mankind...
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I have a mrs gadget, therefore I'm always stressed; bad beats and suckouts and downswings are a relief. (don't tell her I said that) :f_eek:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88

I'm into my 3rd mouse now.

loool :f_biggrin:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      I have a mrs gadget, therefore I'm always stressed; bad beats and suckouts and downswings are a relief. (don't tell her I said that) :f_eek:
      Thats married bliss Gadget :f_biggrin:
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      Yes. This is something I want to get more control over.

Because I play at microstakes, a few bad beats against donkeys can set me off ranting and raving like a mad man. I don't feel bad about losing to good players (I learn from them), it's just the bingo callers that play their hands like utter morons, and then suck out despite the bad pot odds I lay them. A few of these coolers in succession and I will often explode into a tirade of 'fish' insults into the chat box.

I have disconnected the chat box on many of my poker accounts now. To deter me from calling bad players idiots and risking a ban from the poker site. Every dog has his day. The same for bad players. I know this. But sometimes you forget this after a succession of 'bad beats' or variance. So I would be grateful to know how to control my emotions better.

you don't need to stop chatting to avoid risking getting banned.
      you need to stop chatting because you are violating every rule about playing w/ bad players.
      rule one - "don't tap on the glass"

feel free to google this phrase. lots of great essays come up. most of them much better than my post.
      here's some now:
      http://pokerist.com/howto/academy/209/
      this link may not be worksafe (language)
      http://ftrain.blogspot.com/2009/09/dont-tap-glass-you-stupid-fucking-moron.html

why would you want to frighten/discourage/embarrass the fish?
      you should be overjoyed that they are willing to repeatedly get in with the worst of it.
      these players should be (and probably are) your biggest source of winnings.
      do you want them to play better?

which brings me to
      rule 2 - "no free lessons"
      why on earth would you want them to think what they did was wrong or stupid?
      they just got the best "positive reinforcement" possible. They hit their nearly impossible draw & got paid.
      perfect!
      because they are certain to try again (& fail) countless times because they will remember this hand.
      for heaven's sake, don't screw up the warm fuzzy feeling they have right now.
      if they are able to look back fondly at this hand, it will cost them a fortune in the long run.
      if they realize they were stupid & got lucky, it's going to cost YOU a fortune in the long run.

the last thing you want to do is get them wondering "why" you said it was a bad play.
      the next thing you know they will join PokerStrategy or 2+2 or go buy a book or something.
      you don't want them to start playing better, do you?

would you really be happier in a game that's full of "better players" where you lose money while you "learn from them" ?
      I guess that's fine, if you enjoy being the fish.
      but wouldn't it make more sense to make some money from the donkeys while you are paying the better players for lessons?

I bet the "better players" that you don't mind losing to are not giving you any tips or free advice at the tables, are they?
      so, learn THAT from them and apply it to your game.

some "donkeys" don't even WANT to be good at poker.
      they want to have some fun & gamble a little.
      how much fun is it to play w/ some guy (I'm looking at you, arthurbentley) going ballistic and insulting them in the chatbox ?
      so, they take your stack to a different table and give it to some strangers instead of "spending it" at your table.
      these people are your "customers". do your best to keep them happy and spending money at your "store". don't drive their business to another table.

don't wreck the game. horrible donkey-fish get lucky & suckout sometimes.
      if they didn't, they'd all be broke by now.
      you want them in the game, happily spewing away chips.

do NOT encourage them to improve their game.

ok, who's next?

Originally posted by PickoCro
      I find myself to be pretty tilt-resistant and really enjoy playing, if i play a good session but loose due to suckouts and stuff i don t really tilt and i usually say to myself bravo you only lost 200$, where 90% of the people would loose 500$ and then tilt-off another 300$...

But the thing that tilts me the most, and when this happens i m on monkey-rage tilt, is when a reg plays astonishingly bad and then suckouts or makes a terrible play that just happens to be good...

I understand when someone s a fish and plays once a year and doesn t have a clue how to play and gets lucky against you, sucks out and stuff, and I m always like okay, what can you do there, i ll get his money sooner or later...

But when someone plays 5000 hands per day, every day and cant fold qq on a 7892 board with 2 hearts and you just picked up a flush draw to go with your openender and you decide to shove after he bet flop and turn, because you know he has an overpair and he has to fold it, because a) he beats nothing when you raise there b) you we played a lot with him and you now you we only been showing good hands in those spots and c)if he s ahead (which he is maybe once in 10 times) he s likely to be against a big combo draw and he still makes the call, and you brick ofc and he wins, thats the situation that puts me on mega-tilt...

I mean what the fuck do they expect to be ahead of there A9, JJ? Morons... You play all day, every day, and you still don t have a clue... How can anyone be that stupid? It not only stresses me, it makes me loose faith in mankind...
      if this happened once, you are overreacting.

if it has happened more than once (w/ the same guy)
      I'm thinking either
      1) you have Fancy Play Syndrome (I'm sorry, but you sound like Phil Hellmuth)
      2) you don't take very good notes
      3) you are levelling yourself (see #1)
      4) all of the above.

if it happens a lot w/ the same guy
      1) you should be able to take his to ValueTown quite a bit with the same line
      2) stop trying to bluff the calling station.
    • PickoCro
      PickoCro
      Platinum

if this happened once, you are overreacting.

if it has happened more than once (w/ the same guy)
      I'm thinking either
      1) you have Fancy Play Syndrome (I'm sorry, but you sound like Phil Hellmuth)
      2) you don't take very good notes
      3) you are levelling yourself (see #1)
      4) all of the above.

if it happens a lot w/ the same guy
      1) you should be able to take his to ValueTown quite a bit with the same line
      2) stop trying to bluff the calling station.

Lol, you kind of totally misunderstood me there... I m not trying to say this happens to me (the situation i wrote was an example i just made up, not something that happens to me on a regular basis...)

I just get tilted (and it s the kind of tilt where i start swearing or get mad, not donk my money away) when regs, and i m not talking about NL5 regs, i m talking about NL100 regs, play really bad...

For example, just yesterday i was playing and this fish comes on the table, the guy was playing every hand, and wasn t folding anything to a raise (96 58, Afq:88 over 115 hands)... Raising 6x pre and potting, flop turn, river, and showing absolute air (ofc he had like mid pair sometimes), and he was doing that every hand...

So this reg guy calls him pre, and calls his pot bet on the flop and turn, and overbet on the river... The board was 10d J 4 Ad 3d, reg just calls the river with qk (nut straight), fish has 2 pair... How on earth does the reg not raise river? He is afraid of the backdoor flush? Vs the guy that plays 96 58 and pots every street, and calls of with everything? It s completely irrelevant would the fish call or not, but not raising there is jut throwing potential money away, and overall a terrible play imo... The hand has nothing to do with me, but it still tilts me...

And the reg is someone i played like 10k hands just in the last two weeks, which means he is ever-present on the tables, on a relatively good stake (NL100) yet he makes such a fundamentally bad play... It boggles my mind...

I know i make money by people playing badly, but i don t just play poker to make money, i also play it to have fun and mentally challenge myself, but when i m on a table full of terrible, uncreative, 11 10 playing nitty regs it tilts me and bores me at the same time... Idk maybe i m just weird...
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      So this reg guy calls him pre, and calls his pot bet on the flop and turn, and overbet on the river... The board was 10d J 4 Ad 3d, reg just calls the river with qk (nut straight), fish has 2 pair... How on earth does the reg not raise river? He is afraid of the backdoor flush? Vs the guy that plays 96 58 and pots every street, and calls of with everything? It s completely irrelevant would the fish call or not, but not raising there is jut throwing potential money away, and overall a terrible play imo... The hand has nothing to do with me, but it still tilts me...
      Why the f*** does this tilt you? I mean by not raising there the fish stays at the table and you have a bad reg as well which is a fairly decent table this days. If he raises there, the fish will likely leave and he will leave as well since there's not fish anymore and the table breaks.

You always want the fish to win since that will make him stay for as long as possible. Him getting stacked by another reg and leaving the table is what should tilt you.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze

Lol, you kind of totally misunderstood me there... I m not trying to say this happens to me (the situation i wrote was an example i just made up, not something that happens to me on a regular basis...)
      not only can I not read hands & players, I can't even read posts!

I know i make money by people playing badly, but i don t just play poker to make money, i also play it to have fun and mentally challenge myself, but when i m on a table full of terrible, uncreative, 11 10 playing nitty regs it tilts me and bores me at the same time... Idk maybe i m just weird...
      so, you don't like playing against fishy & predictable regs?
      printing money tilts & bores you at the same time?
      :f_confused:
      I guess I have nothing useful to suggest for that problem.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by William340
      so, you don't like playing against fishy & predictable regs?
      printing money tilts & bores you at the same time?
      :f_confused:
      I guess I have nothing useful to suggest for that problem.
      It is super boring to play in nitty game, (zoom fr for example) and having a positive hourly isn't rly an entertaining factor to offset the boredom, if that was the case, no one would get bored in regular jobs then. And boredom is a form of tilt = bad for poker.

Not sure how to overcome it tho, I just avoid playing in boring games, doing drugs would be another option I guess. :f_biggrin:
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suaveplayer
      Even though I like the game, I have to confess that when I´m not making money poker ceases to be fun and starts being annoying.

I play HUSNGs, hyper turbos for now, I´m over 50BI under EV in May. Some people maybe more resistant than I am in this aspect, but for me, it really crushes me when I´m putting in the hours and yet the money is not coming.

Actually, it leaves me very angry and I feel like I´m always about to explode for silly reasons. Nothing else in my life can stress me like poker does. I´m a calm person, it´s very hard for anything at all to get under my skin. But poker seems to have what it takes.

I wish it didnt make me this way, but when the money is going away, so does the fortitude to stay level-headed.

I already read Tendler´s book. I know I should be not be affected by results, but hey, I´m only human, can´t take infinite blows and feel it´s all good.

Yes, I´m just venting. It totally feels like working for nothing.
      I'm totally with you. Poker can really stress the shit out of me. I used to tilt and lose money but I got a decent control of it now. Once I start move to my B-game I just quit poker and play some other video games or something.

Yet the same thing, I know whats variance, read mindset books etc but I'm still human :(

The only thing that I keep in mind is the reason why Phil Ivey is the best is because he's best at losing. Aka he keeps his tilt/lose at a minimum level.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Moved this thread to the proper board now. :)
      Ingrid