Phil Hellmuth!

• BlueZizou18
      BlueZizou18
      Bronze
      The majority of you have most probably already seen this but it gets me everytime and definitely worth watching.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrInpzlQr-8

IMO Phil Hellmuth is the best in the world alongside another Phil. Iadmire his entertaining nature and his knowledge, but when I play poker I try to look for tendencies in a players behaviour because more often than not it links with their play and so if I'd seen Phil's behaviour before his poker I'd automatically think he was weak, vulnerable, maybe really aggressive, when infact he's probably the opposite.

For a guy of his calibre who has been so successful, I just don't understand him but maybe that's why he's been so good?
  • 12 replies
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Phil Hellmuth made his name before the poker boom, his reputation and personality has carried him since online poker came into popularity.

He is not a bad player but he is not a good player either, he keeps himself in the public eye with his antics and he is wanted by television because he is entertaining.

His actual Poker ability is above average, he is not as good as his reputation would suggest he is. I'm not sure he has worked on his game much over the last ten years. The same can be said for many of those old school pros, they re still around because of their reputation and entertainment value, not because of their ability.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Phil Hellmuth is a disgrace to Poker imo.

The way he acts is appalling.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Kyle i agree with you that the way he acts is appalling sometimes (and the times he acts professionally don't make up for that) But he is great for TV and making the game more and more popular.

If i could go back in time and rewrite poker history i wouldn't remove Phil from it
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Agreed. I just feel sorry for the people who have to play against him.

It upsets me when people berate people at the table.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      i was under the impression that he is getting much better, and more sportsman-like at the tables Kyle, maybe i read wrong ?(
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I dunno, didn't he win almost $2million in tournaments in 2011?

Wish I was as bad a player as him.

I haven't watched much poker from years ago and only seen a few clips of him but don't think his behavior was as bad as people are making out, most of the time I have seen he gets a bit angry then it all settles down and ends up with a hand shake.
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      didn't Sam Grizzle shake a hand into his nose back in the day?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      This is so horrible and I feel sorry for Him but wow wow and wow lol
      There is definitely someone worse out there than him.

But I do agree he has definitely improved and maybe all the years are finally getting back to him and he realizes he needed to change his appearance.

Good-on him though. Someone with his results does deserve a better attitude.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      I lost all (or whatever little respect I had left) for Phil Hellmuth after the Cristian Dragomir incident. How he was allowed to speak to another player like that was beyond me.

• fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      I lost all (or whatever little respect I had left) for Phil Hellmuth after the Cristian Dragomir incident. How he was allowed to speak to another player like that was beyond me.

I believe this is the video the OP tried linking in his opening post, by the way.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      I dunno, didn't he win almost $2million in tournaments in 2011?

Wish I was as bad a player as him.
      Any half decent player can win money in tournaments if the cards are running for them, he has the finance to enter those those tournaments so you would expect him to win money from them considering the amount he plays.

Just because he can afford to play big tournaments doesn't mean hes a great player.

Hes a good player but hes not great.

No way could he build a BR from nothing in today's poker climate, he lucked out that he built a name for himself before the Poker Boom. Same for many of those old school Pros IMO.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      @ gary & fruk,

I think they get let off lightly as well. Phil wouldn't of got a warning or anything for that. But if you or I done that to another player we would get orbited/warnings etc etc.
      They pay the same amount as us in those tournaments, they shouldn't be treated differently.

@darkpenance,

I wouldn't go to that extent. They weren't open to as much information as we are these days so they definitely would of taken longer to progress, but there always has to be the famous in any sport.