Reading hands..

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Hmm. I've been wondering if there was a standard procedure for reading your opponent's hands and stuff. I know most people say to put him/her on a range of hands, but how do you narrow it down? Do you base your opponents hand off of the type of player that he/she is? (ex. loose, tight, etc.,) Or do you deduce it from his/her's betting pattern in the hand?

For example, what if a TAG player raises about 4BB pre-flop and the flop comes down 5 :club: 2 :diamond: 10 :spade: ...

Can you be pretty sure that he/she missed the flop? (Well, except for the possibility of the pocket pair I guess)

Would it be more likely that a LAG player hit this flop?

Can his/her betting patterns give any clues as to what his hole cards are?
  • 1 reply
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Player type (standard predictable tag, tricky tag, tag/lag, good lag, std fish, bad lag)
      Action: What is the situation like

This helps you approximate a range preflop. Example: predictable tag raises UTG at a 6-max table, you can assume AJs+, 22+ (and so on for other positions)

Flop: what's the action? what's the flop texture? How would you play it in his place (if he's the same kind of player as you), or how do you suppose this player thinks?

and so on for later streets

not sure if it helps, but it's pretty basic really, just try to imagine yourself in the other player's situation