equity vs implied odds

• diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      My question is how much equity do you need to make a call+EV purely with implied odds.
      Especially in a 3 way pot.

Example. I have a chop pot straight draw plus J high flush draw on the turn, against a possible made straight.

Bet and call in front,but on the button.
  • 7 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Depends on how many implied odds your getting. You can't just calculate this with pure math.

You have to calculate your direct odds and then if your not getting the right price to call you need to consider your implied, which are dependent on how much is in stacks and how likely they are to pay off. It doesn't help you if you have 10 times the pot left behind if his going to c/f when you hit your flush.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Just noting that I have moved your thread to the relevant board.

Best regards,

Gary
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      In this particular case the flush was a back door draw,showing up on the turn. Flop I called with the straight draw. Villain had the the habit of just check calling made hands. So I thought the chances of getting them to call were good, if I sized the bet right.

Direct odds were about 4:1 on the turn.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by diversfx
      In this particular case the flush was a back door draw,showing up on the turn. Flop I called with the straight draw. Villain had the the habit of just check calling made hands. So I thought the chances of getting them to call were good, if I sized the bet right.

Direct odds were about 4:1 on the turn.
      Well getting 4:1 you need 25% while you have 18% on your FD so you really don't have to get paid of that often when you hit.

Your pretty much working on your best estimate depending on a player/stacksizes and how disquesed is your draw. Generally they will give you less credit for the backdoor draws and you get paid more often on strait draws. If there's a flush draw on the flop then they will put you on FD very often.

Your just trying to make a best guess with the information avaliable.
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Thanks just trying to balance things out a little more in my head. Just wasn't sure how far to vary pot odds ,equity and implied. I guess its a matter of the greater the spread the more sure you have to be of getting paid off.

ie at 4;1 having 18% is ok with implied but not so much if I only had say 10% equity.Well not unless it was for a really big payout.LOL
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi diversfx,
      Have you read this article?
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1564/1/

It will get you started.
      In the article above, there are links to other articles that have more detail
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Thanks VorpalF2F I had forgotten about that article. guess it's time to look over a few I read sometime ago.