This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Interesting hand, WWYD?

• Poll
    • What would you do on the river?

Overbet All-In
        61%
        Raise to 3/4 Pot
        21%
        Raise to Pot
        11%
        Raise to 2/3 Pot
        4%
        Fold the nuts
        4%
        Call for the obvious split pot
        0%
      Total: 28 Votes
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Going to post a hand which was quite interesting for me, while I was shamelessly grinding NL25SH to qualify for PokerStrategy's PacificPoker freeroll (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/pokerstrategy/1-PokerStrategy-Freeroll-on-888.com-PacificPoker_05891). I think it brings up a rather weird special niche topic, which is why I have posted it in Discussion, rather than the NL50 hands. IMO there is only one correct move on the river here, can you guess what it is?

6-handed 12c/25c PacificPoker

Stack Sizes:

UTG: $20.50
      MP: $24.74
      CO/Hero: $25.07
      BU: $24.69
      SB: $27.54
      BB: $33.46

Hero is CO with A :heart: J :club:

2 folds, Hero raises to $1
      BU calls $1
      SB calls $1
      BB calls $1

Flop comes T :spade: K :diamond: 9 :club: (Pot $3.80)

SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, BU checks

Turn comes Q :heart: (Pot $3.80)

SB bets $0.25, BB folds, Hero raises to $4, BU folds, SB calls $4

River comes 7 :spade: (Pot $11.40)

SB bets $0.25, Hero ($20.07 remaining) ??
  • 7 replies
    • hova
      hova
      Silver
      If he has what he is repping (nothing, 2nd-3rdpairish) he won't call a near potsized bet anyways. Thus i go for the overbet shove, because fish won't be folding any twopairs and o/c no set.
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Easy:PUSH :D
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      Chances are he's not going to fight for that pot if he's only betting 0.25 into an $11 pot so just reraising won't do much good. Going all in might convince him you're trying to steal the pot and cause him to make a costly call. Don't bet on it though unless he's a real fish.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      weird bets like that into such a big pot confuse me, I'd raise what I think they could possibly call without scaring them into folding so pushing isn't a good idea (unless like HennieP said theyre a real fish) I'd probably bet about $8-9 (2/3 of the pot)
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      I raise 3/4 pot. Doubtful he is gonna call an overbet push without the nuts/2nd nuts.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Easy push imo
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      in my opinion, this hand is about handranges, and trying to narrow your opponent's handrange down. this is quite hard because quite obviously our opponent is a donkey, but even so we have to give him credit for a hand here.

his preflop call means nothing, at this limit it could well be any two cards.

flop shows no information

turn he donks out 1BB into a 16BB pot, and calls a potsize raise. i think we can narrow his range down here to a slowplayed set or 2 pair or a J.

river he donks out again. if we put his range here on a slowplayed set, 2pair or a Jack, we can make the right decision. a set can never call any decent size bet, nor can 2pair, and a Jack is probably not folding to a push, so we should overbet all-in and hope for the best.