Am I cold calling too much?

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Just wondering what are the hands I should be cold calling in position with pre flop?

For example, if Im on the button with... AQo and a 30vpip 15pfr fish raises me from middle position. I would just call this... But is that wrong? What should I do? Obviously I will 3bet my top stuff, call with pairs... but what about the AQ/AJ/ KQs? Im in position and can probably outplay him post flop.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hello noz03,

It depends on your opponent's open raise from that specific position and what type of players you have behind. I have no doubt 3betting AQo in this spot will be profitable so it's just deciding if calling might be more profitable.

What should make you more likely to 3bet are:

1. Opponent's behind squeeze often and you cannot 4bet or flat again profitably.

2. Opponent's behind call a lot so you will get multiway with AQo which doesn't play that well even IP. (AQs is a lot better for this).

3. Your preflop raiser calls a lot or 4bets worse than AQ in which case you are probably better of 3betting it and, depending on his 4bet range, 5bet it for thin value.

Regards,
      Manu.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Instead of thinking about which hands you should be calling with think instead of which situations you should be calling in.

I.e have a reason to call rather than to try and hit a hand. Eg, Im BU and CO reg is kinda weak, 1 & done type player but cbets too much OTF. \

Here I will call quite liberally because I have a reason, I can exploit this player and float many flops.

Thats just one example. The rest is up to you
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Well I usually play on a site that doesnt allow HUDs so my info is quite limited usually, but of course I usually only call when Im in position but what else is there?

Basically I often find myself in a situation like someone raised, lets say an unknown or a standard semi tight semi agressive semi fish player. I have something like AJo on the button and no maniacs in the blinds. I always just cold call this, and many other hands like it. QJs+, AJo+

Is this ok? Everyone says cold calling is pretty much a bad habit so I always feel some kind of guilt whenever I do it like I just ate someones last piece of chocolate....

Might just add, what about if the player who raised was very loose/tight? I usually tighten this range to just AJs+/AQo+ to call if the player is tight, maybe I could open it up a little if they are loose, and maybe 3bet a bit looser if I know they cant fold their crap hands.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's not as general as tight or loose. It's exactly HOW tight or loose. You either need a HUD or seeing some of the hands he raises. Seeing a few showdowns will give you an idea of his range already.

Cold calling is not viewed as the best play because people who open raise play bad vs 3bets, especially when they are OOP and because most hands don't play better multiway than HU so giving people behind better odds is not something you want.

I can't just give you a set of ranges because they will not apply well. The best advice is to adjust. You see someone raise and call 78s vs a 3bet OOP, you start 3betting QJ for value instantly. You already know he calls worse. This is how you open you 3betting range.

If he folds a lot, you start 3betting hands you can't call with like 86s, J8s, etc.

Adjust, adjust, adjust!
    • Holidej
      Holidej
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      Instead of thinking about which hands you should be calling with think instead of which situations you should be calling in.

Wow, totally different view, nice point mate :f_thumbsup: