PokerStars WTF?

• kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      WTF?
      I played a few play money SNGs at PokerStars.com and found that the players were as competent as micro stakes SNG players at iPoker. They were using ICM push in a play money SNGs...

Is pokerstars super tough or iPoker super soft?
  • 26 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Kruger32!

Can't say I've made too many play money games at Stars :(

Generally speaking PokerStars is the toughest site out there but I wouldn't have thought this to be the case when it came to Play money. But I guess this could be true :)

Regards,

Gary
    • Vygantas82
      Vygantas82
      Bronze
      :f_mad:
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      I'd have to say Wow, it's been a long time since I've played play money on Stars, but overall the play at micros has gotten much tougher at certain games, eg. turbo sng's since Black friday.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by kruger32
      WTF?
      I played a few play money SNGs at PokerStars.com and found that the players were as competent as micro stakes SNG players at iPoker. They were using ICM push in a play money SNGs...
      I'm guessing Americans getting their online poker fix the only way they can...
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      WTF?
      Ah yes this makes much sense :)
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      I know that there's websites which are selling play money chips on stars. So I guess, it could be so hard to beat because it's full of bots which are farming play money chips?
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      NO money in play money, everyone's solid :P
    • MasterKyodai
      MasterKyodai
      Bronze
      Never played for play money, prolly never will. But generally most people at pokerstars play much better than at other sites (e.g. 770 888, partypoker). When i first played at pokerstars i was impressed about how tough people even play at micros. But the good news is that this fact makes pokerstars a great and cheap way to practice with low buy-in value. Only exception might be the 990 and 360 people SNG - here you see other players "die like flies", at the 990 seat SNG it's not uncommon to have 500 players busted within the first 5 minutes. But the remaining ones are much better though. Amazing for a 2 cent buy-in.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasterKyodai
      But the remaining ones are much better though. Amazing for a 2 cent buy-in.
      I play those when i want to relax :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: And the 10 cents 360 man!! Push or fold only , i'm pretty good at ICM cause it's the easiest decision on NL!! (i'm a FL player and suck at NL)
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      WTF?
      Ah yes this makes much sense :)
      yeah - this.
      from Black Friday to late February, I was playing play money tournaments & "cash" games.

it's not really poker, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.
      I imagine a lot of US "recreational" players went this route.

once you get to where the buy-ins are above the "free 1,000 chips 3 times an hour" level, the games improve.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      I can't speak for SNGs but Stars play money 10/20 is about x10 fishier than 2NL. I think I'd win at about 100bb/100 at play 10/20.
    • faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Pokerstrategy need to get on this........... and start releasing strategy videos on how to beat play money tables.

:coolface:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Pokerstrategy need to get on this........... and start releasing strategy videos on how to beat play money tables.
      :facepalm:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by staktas
      I know that there's websites which are selling play money chips on stars. So I guess, it could be so hard to beat because it's full of bots which are farming play money chips?
      You all will think I'm lying; but one guy made $1800 selling play money chips in PS.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32/beginners-questions/okay-so-i-sold-some-play-money-have-1800-a-619816/
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      You all will think I'm lying; but one guy made $1800 selling play money chips in PS.
      I don't think you're lying; I think he is lying though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      I don't think you're lying; I think he is lying though.
      Well, if you google it, you can actually find places offering to buy stars play money.
      The only one I looked at was offering $1.50 per MILLION play chips. That is not even one NL 2 BI

Let's pretend that someone went to all the work to accumulate 1000 million play chips, they could theoretically get 1500.

Two things come to mind:
      1.  If you can do that, you could make a lot more playing real poker.
      2.  Who would you trust with the transaction?

Not worth the effort IMO -- you make money faster in freerolls.

--VS
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      No money in poker every one is solid.

POKER IS DEAD!
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Not worth the effort IMO -- you make money faster in freerolls.

--VS
      Yep, which why I think that guy was FOS.