This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

PokerStars WTF?

• kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      WTF?
      I played a few play money SNGs at PokerStars.com and found that the players were as competent as micro stakes SNG players at iPoker. They were using ICM push in a play money SNGs...

Is pokerstars super tough or iPoker super soft?
  • 26 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Kruger32!

Can't say I've made too many play money games at Stars :(

Generally speaking PokerStars is the toughest site out there but I wouldn't have thought this to be the case when it came to Play money. But I guess this could be true :)

Regards,

Gary
    • Vygantas82
      Vygantas82
      Bronze
      :f_mad:
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      I'd have to say Wow, it's been a long time since I've played play money on Stars, but overall the play at micros has gotten much tougher at certain games, eg. turbo sng's since Black friday.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by kruger32
      WTF?
      I played a few play money SNGs at PokerStars.com and found that the players were as competent as micro stakes SNG players at iPoker. They were using ICM push in a play money SNGs...
      I'm guessing Americans getting their online poker fix the only way they can...
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      WTF?
      Ah yes this makes much sense :)
    • staktas
      staktas
      Bronze
      I know that there's websites which are selling play money chips on stars. So I guess, it could be so hard to beat because it's full of bots which are farming play money chips?
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      NO money in play money, everyone's solid :P
    • MasterKyodai
      MasterKyodai
      Bronze
      Never played for play money, prolly never will. But generally most people at pokerstars play much better than at other sites (e.g. 770 888, partypoker). When i first played at pokerstars i was impressed about how tough people even play at micros. But the good news is that this fact makes pokerstars a great and cheap way to practice with low buy-in value. Only exception might be the 990 and 360 people SNG - here you see other players "die like flies", at the 990 seat SNG it's not uncommon to have 500 players busted within the first 5 minutes. But the remaining ones are much better though. Amazing for a 2 cent buy-in.
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasterKyodai
      But the remaining ones are much better though. Amazing for a 2 cent buy-in.
      I play those when i want to relax :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: And the 10 cents 360 man!! Push or fold only , i'm pretty good at ICM cause it's the easiest decision on NL!! (i'm a FL player and suck at NL)
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      WTF?
      Ah yes this makes much sense :)
      yeah - this.
      from Black Friday to late February, I was playing play money tournaments & "cash" games.

it's not really poker, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.
      I imagine a lot of US "recreational" players went this route.

once you get to where the buy-ins are above the "free 1,000 chips 3 times an hour" level, the games improve.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      I can't speak for SNGs but Stars play money 10/20 is about x10 fishier than 2NL. I think I'd win at about 100bb/100 at play 10/20.
    • faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Pokerstrategy need to get on this........... and start releasing strategy videos on how to beat play money tables.

:coolface:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Pokerstrategy need to get on this........... and start releasing strategy videos on how to beat play money tables.
      :facepalm:
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by staktas
      I know that there's websites which are selling play money chips on stars. So I guess, it could be so hard to beat because it's full of bots which are farming play money chips?
      You all will think I'm lying; but one guy made $1800 selling play money chips in PS.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/32/beginners-questions/okay-so-i-sold-some-play-money-have-1800-a-619816/
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      You all will think I'm lying; but one guy made $1800 selling play money chips in PS.
      I don't think you're lying; I think he is lying though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by mrbeer9999
      I don't think you're lying; I think he is lying though.
      Well, if you google it, you can actually find places offering to buy stars play money.
      The only one I looked at was offering $1.50 per MILLION play chips. That is not even one NL 2 BI

Let's pretend that someone went to all the work to accumulate 1000 million play chips, they could theoretically get 1500.

Two things come to mind:
      1.  If you can do that, you could make a lot more playing real poker.
      2.  Who would you trust with the transaction?

Not worth the effort IMO -- you make money faster in freerolls.

--VS
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      No money in poker every one is solid.

POKER IS DEAD!
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Not worth the effort IMO -- you make money faster in freerolls.

--VS
      Yep, which why I think that guy was FOS.