[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH A5o

• RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys

villain: 70/23/1.3 after 30 hands

honestly the limp was a miss click! :(

But since he raised pre I thought he has some Ax with x a high kicker. I don't worry to much about a 4 or 89 since I don't think he'll raise that.

Pacific, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (MP): $10 (100 bb)
      CO: $1.86 (18.6 bb)
      BTN: $4.70 (47 bb)
      SB: $6.12 (61.2 bb)
      BB: $11.09 (110.9 bb)
      UTG: $2.46 (24.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5 A
      UTG calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds, SB completes, BB raises to $0.50, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.40, SB folds

Flop: ($1.20) 6 A 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.40) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.80, BB calls $1.80

River: ($6) 7 (2 players)
      BB bets $6, Hero calls $6

Results:
      $18 pot ($0.90 rake)
      Final Board: 6 A 5 3 7
      Hero showed 5 A and lost (-$8.90 net)
      BB showed Q 4 and won $17.10 ($8.20 net)

Thank you!
  • 5 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Ras,

We should be looking to raise and isolate pre flop rather than limp behind and encourage others to come along.

When we raise not only do we take inititive meaning its more likely we win the pot as we are not going to hit the board as often as we are going to miss, but we get to play HU with the guy who limped, who we assume is a fish. If you are scard about getting limp/raised don't be. He is a fish and will only c/r huge value hands here so by folding you are massively exploiting him.

Playing as many pots as possible vs these guys who are limping especially suited aces HEADS UP will see a big increase to your win rate.

#isothosefishmate
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Patrick!

Thanks for the evaluation. I know it's a mistake to not raise it pre (but it was a miss click :facepalm: ) But thank you very much for your explanation.

What should I do on the river though when he pots it? Or should I've raise the flop maybe?

Thank you!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      I think calling flop is good as the board is not connected enough so that he can continue with draws, lets say the flop is J104 and we have j10, this is a great spot to raise as he has so many straight draw combinations that will continue and will continue with overcards as well as pairs. Basically when we raise the flop here we are only getting value from 78 which he may fold pre flop and worse aces. He obviously has more combinations of pure air that could pick up pairs, flush draws or straight draws etc on the turn, so for this reason I think calling flop with a plan of raising the turn is really good.

On the river I guess we just have to call and make a note, the spaz factor (playing more than 70% of hands) means that folding here will probably be a mistake. If he does have the nuts then we can make a note that he c/calls turns with draws and pots river when he gets there. How do we exploit him? We just 3 barrel alot as by the river he will very rarely have the nuts if he checks and we can put good pressure and controlled aggresion onto him.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello RasTweet,

As long the thread is open I am going to give my opinion here.

Preflop: I actually don't mind limping in here, vs full stack it would be insta-isolation for me but while the guy doesn't even have a full stack we could easily just Call and reevaluate the further actions. We are still able to get his full stack postflop if we do hit but meanwhile we have to Raise/Fold vs his stack. But what I'd usually do vs smaller stack is that I'd just isolate a bit smaller + CB smaller.

As played
      Postflop: Also kind of disagree on the 70% range here, it's still rather smaller cause he isn't limping in but rather raising with his hand. Which also makes me rather fold the river while we have too much to Call to win so small pot.

If he wanted to bluff why didn't he just 2nd barrel? :) I would assume him having enough of those connectors with SD type of hand which could play like that on the turn, especially when he is a fish but meanwhile I wouldn't assume that such a fishy player would turn that many into bluff but rather Check/Call with something like 2pairs.

Best Regards.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz

Thanks for evaluating!

At the time I thought a straight is very unlikely because then he had to raise 4x OOP vs 2 guys. Not sure if he's going to raise 33-77 in that position either, since he's a fish and they rather play it passively.

So I thought he might have AK, AQ, AJ, KK maybe? But thats only because he's a fish. The only hand really that makes sense to me that play like that is 77.

RasTweet