Strategy or No Strategy?

• northernplan
      northernplan
      Bronze
      I am relatively new to playing poker for real money. I love the strategy and psychology and have been studying mainly from books. What I am struggling with is when you play a hand eg pocket aces and follow a strategy to the letter. Then you lose to someone with a hand that the books say the books say no one in their right mind would play and would have folded pre flop. The win is completely against the odds.

Is this something that with time you will profit from in the long term due to the odds?

Is this something that happens in the micro/small stake game due to what is a large raise in these games doesn't mean as much in monetary terms to as many people?

I started with micro/small stakes to practice and learn and techniques. Is this the best place to do this?

I hope this makes sense.

Nic
  • 8 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Is this something that with time you will profit from in the long term due to the odds?

Is this something that happens in the micro/small stake game due to what is a large raise in these games doesn't mean as much in monetary terms to as many people?

I started with micro/small stakes to practice and learn and techniques. Is this the best place to do this?
      Pretty much yes 3x :)

Small stakes is the best place to learn, you experience how real money poker works along variance and other mindset stuffs etc. You also develop your poker skills.
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Bronze
      Yes, quite often, even if you play a hand 'perfectly' you will still lose.

The aim is to lose the least when you have the worst of it, win the most when you have the best of it. In the long term you will profit from other players mistakes (calling without odds, playing too many hands, bluffing without any fold equity ect).

At the micro stakes, expect to see players make some ludicrous plays from time to time. Occasionally they get lucky and they work, but mostly they are just spewing chips to the good players.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      You don't want to just follow what the books and guides say, you need to take each situation on its own merits.

People slag off the micro stakes saying 'I cant play against such bad players' but if you can't beat bad players on a consistent basis your never going to beat good players.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkpenance0
      You don't want to just follow what the books and guides say, you need to take each situation on its own merits.

People slag off the micro stakes saying 'I cant play against such bad players' but if you can't beat bad players on a consistent basis your never going to beat good players.

Plus one, I was playing HU hyper turbos eariler, some guy called my shove with 93s and hit a flush, you can get unlucky, fish can suck out, but if you played it right how the cards come down is outta your control
    • londonsystem
      londonsystem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by northernplan

Being a micro fish myself, I have asked the same question to myself and others many times.

In a nutshell, you need to adjust to the table and player.

Whatever the book says, if you could not expect the result you want to see with bet/raise/call, but you're still doing it, you are making mistakes. For example, if the book says just call a small bet on turn with this and this situation to make the fish to bluff on the river but he never does, then you should raise on the turn as the fish would call with hope, not odds (the book says it would scare him off in 'most' cases). Or, if you raise 7bb with AA from UTG and would have 5 callers, but all-in might have one or two callers, go all-in.

Practicing in micros has its own merits. Mainly, you would learn how to read people, in my opinion. However, as long as BR allows, moving up to small is better as it gives you more challenge and it will improve your skill.
    • awesomeo
      awesomeo
      Silver
      Whenever you see your AA get cracked by someones 92o you have a reason to celebrate - it serves as reassurance that poker is still profitable. Plus its really funny, at least if you have a bankroll to sustain such amusement :D

As for the micros, there are some important things you can learn there - to play solid poker and to valuebet. Learn to do it, play weak oponents and bet/fold your way up the stakes :s_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi northernplan,

I think, in a nutshell, awesomeo has just about nailed it (but then he would know that :) ), even though you may at present not quite understand the nuances of that.

There is much I could say, but many more are more able to comment than I, so may I suggest the NL Beginners Course which is free and all you have to do is click the link at the bottom of my post for how to join ~(remember its free)~ oh - and the coaches are the nuts!

Very best regards,

Mal.
    • northernplan
      northernplan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Hi northernplan,

I think, in a nutshell, awesomeo has just about nailed it (but then he would know that :) ), even though you may at present not quite understand the nuances of that.

There is much I could say, but many more are more able to comment than I, so may I suggest the NL Beginners Course which is free and all you have to do is click the link at the bottom of my post for how to join ~(remember its free)~ oh - and the coaches are the nuts!

Very best regards,

Mal.
      Thanks I have decided to complete the beginners course.