Read my blog or die trying

• Rains7
      Good day to you all!

I've been reading some blogs for two or three days now and so I've decided to write one myself. (by the way jbplatzer's and NightFrostaSS' blog are a must read - pissed myself and learned a lot from the old guy :D )

I also want to mention that I am not only trying to post poker stuff but also some funny stuff. One other fact is that I want to see if I suck at poker (signs tend to YEEES) or not.

So I am not quite sure if I should really introduce myself cause ladies keep telling me that I am not a person of interest (FSK 6 verion...) but I will try.

My name is Michael, I am 22 years old and I'm from a rather small country called Austria. I am currently studying at university with the aim of becoming a teacher (hopefully in the near future but signs tend to NOOO) Obviously one of my hobbies is poker and I guess I am not the only one around here. Probably that's enough of an introductoin - don't want to bore you to death!

I was introduced to poker by a friend called Stevie. We were sitting at a beach and he showed me the probably simplest card trick ever. Of course I was not able to figure out how it worked (for one week and then he told me.... so embarassing :f_confused: ). Long story short we played a lot of poker and he told me about himself making money online by playing poker.

You can imagine the reaction of the guy who wasn't able to reveal the card trick (me) - WUUUHUUHUU we're gonna be sooo rich :s_biggrin: . When I got home I registered at and got the 50$ - got it at a rather prestigious site called FullTiltPoker. As you can imagine it didnt take long for me to lose most of it and then came Balck Friday so I was not able to withdraw my 1,23$ :s_evil:

I got some other free bankrolls and blew them away without the blinking of an eye, still dreaming about myself chilling on a tropical island with hundreds of naked ladies :s_cool:

Current situation:

A friend gave me 5$ to play at pokerstars. I learned a bit more about the game and was able to run it up to 50$ (first lost 3$ of the 5$ - LUCKY me! :f_biggrin: )

My goals are currently not really insane (wait for summer holidays :f_biggrin: ) because exams are going to come and I haven't done anything so far. :rolleyes:

So here's a little list of my goals:

[ ] having a BR of 100$ on July 1st
      [ ] playing at least 500 hands per day (not that difficult, but I really have to study!!!)
      [ ] watch accessible videos - 3 per week AND take notes
      [ ] manage tilt control (insanly difficult for me)
      [ ] read 3 articles AND study them

So that's it for the moment - will hopefully be able to upgrade with some results and some other stuff soon!!!

Thanks for reading :)

Gimme your MONEY!!!!!!!
  • 29 replies
    • mccol001
      Hey. :) What games do you play then? 2NL?

Love that episode of Family Guy. :) Good luck bro!
    • DeLau
      Looks like a promising blog. Great title!
    • fruktpuff
      Welcome to our blogging section, glad to see you were inspired to create your own after reading some of the regulars!

Be sure to tell the professor he's inspired you!

I like the approach of setting realistic goals, let us know how you get on.

Will be following for sure, and hope you grow to become one of our prime bloggers, just like The Professor and the Trollking!

• Rains7

Oh man thanks for reminding me! I totally forgot to tell you guys :s_confused:

I play 6max 0.02/0.05 - as I#ve mentioned before I have a roll of 50$
      Should I drop down to 40$ I will drop down to 0.01/0.02 (hopefully :D )

Probably I should mention that i used to play a lot higher during tilting sessions - best idea ever!!!

I swear to god if I had the roll...but honestly, I am working on that!
      According to my opinion there is not only me (Isildur1 :D ) but I really want to mention that (graphs will follow!)

Thanks a lot - will have a look at yours as well!

I am sitting in a course at university - don't know what the professor is talking about so I have plenty of time :s_biggrin:

Thank you as well :)

Quite a good idea to let the math-wizard know that he was a big inspiration!

As I said I will also try to post some hands and some graphs (although I have to figure out how to post graphs)

Just wanted to post this - found it on youtube yesterday :f_eek:

edit: Oh sorry - it's possible that I saw this in another blog - if yes, sorry for stealing, but that has to be shared :D
    • NightFrostaSS
      Oh hai there!
    • Rains7
      Hi there!

Just wanted to update my new blog!

In my first post i said that I wanted to play 500hands/day - ended up playing almost 900 :)

Results are mean -> ended up losing 11c ( :f_confused: )
      I am only 4$ under EV - so that's nothing I think!
      Also have to admit that I am totally not satisfied with my play - often I was the big donator and sometimes I got sucked out (and 1 or 2 bad beats, but nothing unreal)

Hands are going to be posted - have to go know, just wanted to let you know about my first day - mayber I play a little session later and see how I can get their money :evil:

I also have to admit that I am awake since more than 20 hours - maybe not the best conditions to play, but I wanted to get the volume of 500 hands!

All the best :s_cool:
    • Rains7
      So it's me again.

Played another session yesterday - worst session ever! First I went to McDonald's (fastfood addiction) to try the new Grand Royal Burger - what a tasty pile of meat!

Came back and started playing after watching a little bit TV with some friends. Was even more tired than before but I somehow forced myself to be able to post at least a positive result! Somehow it didn't work out so well (4$ down - but not that bad I think) - really had to force myself to keep my eyes open :f_eek:

Almost hit the table with my head - so I quit and went to sleep for like 12 hours (nice!!! :s_biggrin: )

I decided to play a little session later because I have to help a friend with his maths studies. Just wanted to post some hands:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($3.64)
      BB ($6.97)
      UTG ($5.37)
      UTG+1 ($1.82)
      CO ($12.23)
      Hero ($1.64)

Dealt to Hero K:spade: 9:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, fold

FLOP ($0.35) 8:heart: 4:heart: 9:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.25, SB calls $0.25

TURN ($0.85) 8:heart: 4:heart: 9:diamond: 8:diamond:

SB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.24 (AI), SB calls $0.74

RIVER ($3.33) 8:heart: 4:heart: 9:diamond: 8:diamond: A:heart:

Hero shows K:spade: 9:spade:
      (Pre 62%, Flop 76.2%, Turn 72.7%)

SB shows 6:diamond: 5:diamond:
      (Pre 38%, Flop 23.8%, Turn 27.3%)

Hero wins $3.19

Had a little read on this guy - luckily i was right :D

SB ($2.01)
      Hero ($4.83)
      UTG ($4.30)
      UTG+1 ($1.35)
      CO ($4.65)
      BTN ($3.16)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: J:club:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, Hero raises to $0.45, BTN raises to $1.10, fold, Hero raises to $4.83 (AI), BTN calls $2.06 (AI)

FLOP ($6.47) 2:club: 8:diamond: K:spade:

TURN ($6.47) 2:club: 8:diamond: K:spade: 7:spade:

RIVER ($6.47) 2:club: 8:diamond: K:spade: 7:spade: T:diamond:

BTN shows A:heart: A:diamond:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 91.6%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows J:spade: J:club:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 8.4%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN wins $6.20

Only had 4 hands of the BTN at that point - thought it was a good idea to push with JJ - okay ran into Aces... maybe i should have just called here to see the flop but I am willing to gamble a bit too much i guess

Hero ($2.44)
      BB ($3.20)
      UTG ($3.05)
      UTG+1 ($2.42)
      CO ($3.93)
      BTN ($11.35)

Dealt to Hero K:club: K:heart:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.10, fold, BTN calls $0.10, Hero raises to $2.44 (AI), fold, UTG+1 calls $2.32 (AI), BTN calls $2.34

FLOP ($7.35) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 2:club:

TURN ($7.35) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 2:club: T:diamond:

RIVER ($7.35) 9:diamond: 9:heart: 2:club: T:diamond: 2:diamond:

UTG+1 shows A:spade: K:diamond:
      (Pre 17%, Flop 8.7%, Turn 4.8%)

BTN shows A:diamond: 8:diamond:
      (Pre 15%, Flop 4.7%, Turn 19.0%)

Hero shows K:club: K:heart:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 86.6%, Turn 76.2%)

BTN wins $7.05

That was the first and only time i pushed KK pf in during that session - normally I avoid doing that when a ROCK is involved in a hand. I went up the wells after this hand :s_evil:

Any comments are welcome!
      Hopefully the next session won't be like this:

• NightFrostaSS
      Turn on the auto reload to 100bb if you play BSS
    • Rains7
      I am currently playing NL5 and start with 2$
      Have the set that it reloads when I only have 80% left of the 2$
      But 100% is a better idea I guess :D
      So thanks :)
    • Rains7
      Here we go again!

The friend I've mentioned before did not want my help with his maths studies (instead he went out drinking :D ) so I had a little bit time to play!

To sum it up - I only tilted a bit today (a bit proud of myself because how things went down)and played a total of 1408 hands today :)

Outcome: 7,79$ -> BR: ~52$

So yeah I know that it's not great to only win that much while playing a bit more than 1400 hands - I am seriously working on it and I guess I have found some leaks in my game while looking at my hands! So some leaks:

- investing way too much dead money
      - trying to make moves on calling stations (does not work often enough!!!!!)
      - work on my betsizing (I guess if i bet 3/4 pot it is a little bit too much - just a few cents less and I guess that people are willing to call me more often)
      - overplay small pocketpairs
      - push AI way too fast when I am on tilt

I also hope that a friend of mine will be online on skype more often. Planning to do a little session review with him as well, although I do not really know if he knows how to play against such players. He only plays highstakes (25/50) and I have made 1 or 2 coachings with him already... he was sometimes totally shocked by the players:

What? WHAT? WHAAAAAT? Please let me use the chatbox, please man.... (he might also tend to tilt a bit on the micros I guess :s_biggrin: )

Here are some hands (some responsible for tilting me and some others):

SB ($2.33)
      BB ($3.95)
      UTG ($6.81)
      CO ($5)
      Hero ($3.45)

Dealt to Hero 5:heart: 5:spade:

UTG raises to $0.10, fold, Hero calls $0.10, fold, BB calls $0.05

FLOP ($0.32) 7:heart: 5:club: J:heart:

BB bets $0.15, UTG raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $3.35 (AI), BB folds, UTG calls $3.05

TURN ($7.17) 7:heart: 5:club: J:heart: K:spade:

RIVER ($7.17) 7:heart: 5:club: J:heart: K:spade: 7:diamond:

UTG shows 8:diamond: J:diamond:
      (Pre 50%, Flop 6.5%, Turn 0.0%)

Hero shows 5:heart: 5:spade:
      (Pre 50%, Flop 93.5%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero wins $6.87

I pushed AI a bit too early I guess. The other player might have called the 30c but I am not quite sure. On the other hand I way sure that the raiser would call!
      He was one of the reasons why I tilted that bad (stats: 91/26 :O ) because he always hit.
      Another question is how I should have played pf (raise to 30c or a bit more?)

SB ($4.09)
      BB ($5)
      UTG ($8.98)
      UTG+1 ($4.13)
      CO ($1.66)
      Hero ($3.07)

Dealt to Hero T:heart: T:club:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, BB raises to $0.60, fold, CO calls $0.55, Hero calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.87) 8:heart: 2:spade: 6:club:

BB checks, CO bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, CO raises to $1.06 (AI), Hero calls $0.56

TURN ($3.99) 8:heart: 2:spade: 6:club: A:club:

RIVER ($3.99) 8:heart: 2:spade: 6:club: A:club: 5:spade:

CO shows 4:club: 4:diamond:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 11.6%, Turn 4.5%)

Hero shows T:heart: T:club:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 88.4%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero wins $3.82

In this case - I was already a bit afraid of raising because the CO pushing immediatelly. What do you think? Should I have pushed from the button? I guess calling is the best option here...

SB ($3.05)
      BB ($6.28)
      UTG ($3.70)
      UTG+1 ($6.37)
      Hero ($2)
      BTN ($5)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: A:spade:

UTG raises to $0.25, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, fold, fold, UTG raises to $3.70 (AI), Hero calls $1.50 (AI)

FLOP ($4.07) 9:spade: J:club: K:club:

TURN ($4.07) 9:spade: J:club: K:club: 9:club:

RIVER ($4.07) 9:spade: J:club: K:club: 9:club: 5:spade:

UTG shows J:spade: J:heart:
      (Pre 18%, Flop 89.5%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows A:heart: A:spade:
      (Pre 82%, Flop 10.5%, Turn 4.5%)

UTG wins $3.90

Hero ($2.84)
      BB ($5)
      UTG ($1.50)
      UTG+1 ($8)
      CO ($5)
      BTN ($3.96)

Dealt to Hero J:club: J:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.10, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.08, fold

FLOP ($0.25) A:diamond: J:heart: 9:heart:

Hero bets $0.18, UTG raises to $0.36, Hero raises to $1.32, UTG raises to $1.40 (AI), Hero calls $0.08

TURN ($3.05) A:diamond: J:heart: 9:heart: 2:club:

RIVER ($3.05) A:diamond: J:heart: 9:heart: 2:club: A:heart:

Hero shows J:club: J:diamond:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 4.3%, Turn 2.3%)

UTG shows A:spade: A:club:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 95.7%, Turn 97.7%)

UTG wins $2.92

:s_evil: :s_evil: :s_evil:

I just called the minbet because he would have moved AI immediatelly so I wanted to wait for a set or at least overcards :s_biggrin:

For the funny part of the entry I just want to mention a friend's story (a quote in fact) from yesterday:

(Ladies if you are offended easily just don't read that)

So he walks into a bar and sees that girl. He was totally drunk and so was she (great :s_biggrin: ). Normally everything is perfect but even in his delirium he seemed to be quite dumb as he told me.

So he said to her: Sorry, I have to go to the toilet. I suffer from diarrhea. While he was walking away slowly so that she could see that he was a bit in pain he said (so that she could still hear it): God damn it, my ass looks like the Japanese falg :f_cool:

He just waited a few minutes and came back -> She was gone :f_confused:
      So it is a polite but also disgusting way to get rid of girls you dont really like.

• Rains7
      Just wanted to make a little update according to my BR!

Winnings in the last session: ~8$

BR: ~60$

Sorry, still not figured out how to post a graph/make screenshots - somehow it just does not work :f_confused:

No special hands I want to post this time. Just going to read 1 or 2 articles and watch a video :)

• Rains7
      So another blog entry :D

Today's session was just insane!
      There was this guy at one table donating money like mad - he was willing to play for every pot! Maybe pokerstars deleted his FOLD button, who knows! The tells on him were really "rock solid" but unforunatelly he left after losing 15 bucks or so...

So outcome of the session -> 4,80$

Total BR at the moment: 63,95$

Another thing is that I (hopefully) soon will be able to get the 10$ bonus from pokerstars :s_cool:

Also wanted to post some hands, but I have quite a headache - so maybe tomorrow!

Cheers fellas :f_biggrin:

• Tomaloc
      hello sir, welcome and good luck :f_biggrin:

do you actually play mid stack strategy (mss) or do you sit with 40bb "just because"? some of the hands don't seem like mss :P
      "generically" if you want to sit with $2 i'd recommend you to sit in with the full 100bb at NL2 and work up your bankroll from there.
    • Rains7
      Good day to you Tomaloc :D

Thank you - luck is a bi*** anyway...

BR dropped down drastically :f_cry: because of pure stupidity!

From now on I will play NL2 and not taking shots at higher limits anymore!!!!
      Will use the 100BB BSS - should have done this from the start!

The thing is that I was just to buy in with just 80c average on NL2 because of my 5$ starting capital on stars - somehow i stuck to that... I only know about BSS and a bit SSS (MSS almost nothing).

So yeah here we go again - hoping to clear the 10$ bonus soon :s_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      In my opinion BSS is almost exclusively the best option in the micros, since you're getting paid off better every time you do find a proper fish willing to stack off with fifth pair repeatedly for 2 hours!
    • Rains7
      Just wanted to update!

Incorporated your ideas (should have started using 100bb a loooong time ago but I was not really ready to break my bad habit)!

It was a supercool session with quite a lot of winnings :s_biggrin:

Hands: 809
      Winnings: 8,12$

So thanks for all the good advice and making me break my habits (I knew that I should do it because of the articles but somehow never wanted to... don't really know why -> stupidity :f_confused: )

Some nice hands:

NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($2.19)
      BB ($2.31)
      BTN ($1.27)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 7:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.04, BB raises to $2.31 (AI), Hero calls $2.15 (AI)

FLOP ($4.38) 3:spade: 4:heart: T:diamond:

TURN ($4.38) 3:spade: 4:heart: T:diamond: 6:club:

RIVER ($4.38) 3:spade: 4:heart: T:diamond: 6:club: 5:heart:

BB shows 2:spade: 9:spade:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 18.6%, Turn 6.8%)

Hero shows 7:diamond: 7:heart:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 81.4%, Turn 93.2%)

Hero wins $4.23

This guy was a total maniac - he was shoving all the time with any 2 so I just had to wait for the right cards :f_cool:

And a very special one (wuuuhuuu :s_biggrin: ):

NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2)
      Hero ($2)
      UTG ($1.85)
      UTG+1 ($2.84)
      CO ($0.48)
      BTN ($0.58)

Dealt to Hero 2:club: 4:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02, fold, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.09) 5:club: J:heart: 5:heart:

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, BTN checks

TURN ($0.09) 5:club: J:heart: 5:heart: A:club:

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, BTN bets $0.04, Hero calls $0.04, UTG+1 calls $0.04, CO calls $0.04

RIVER ($0.25) 5:club: J:heart: 5:heart: A:club: 3:club:

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, BTN bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, BTN raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.74, BTN calls $0.02 (AI)

Hero shows 2:club: 4:club:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 3.9%, Turn 9.1%)

BTN shows J:club: T:club:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 96.1%, Turn 90.9%)

Hero wins $1.24

Maybe I played the hand a bit strange but I got totally excited :D

So that's it for the moment...
      I will probably have not that much time to play tomorrow because of university ( :rage: ) but I will try to play the 500 hands!

All the best to you all :s_biggrin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      I think the buying in shorter thing is mainly due to big risk aversion, some of my friends used to do that and so did I when started out playing poker. Basically buying in short and not reloading looked like a way to protect previous wins/current bankroll.

It's obv not a good way to solve it but imo to many people it looks like it is.
    • Rains7
      Yeah you are probably right!
      As I've already mentioned I started out with 5 dollars, lost 3 pretty quickly and had only 2 left :f_cry:

I was so scared to lose it all - just bought in for 80c!
      You should have seen me in front of my lap top :f_mad:
      Totally scared, shaking all over, close to tears....

Hiding behind my little chair and hoping to get Aces - but the poker gods were gracious :s_biggrin:

I just stuck to that until I had like 20$ and immediatelly took shots to higher limits (like yesterday... :f_confused: ) to get a bit more money out of the 20$ -> not the best idea in the world I guess to play scared as a chicken :D

So from now on I will stick to 100bb - thanks to you all guys :f_thumbsup:

Blog has already paid off I guess :)
    • Rains7
      So no session for today...I know I've said that I'll play 500 hands per day, but I am way to tired to play poker... it would just be a big losing session for sure!!!
      Maybe I have a little bonus because of playing way more than 500 hands the other days :s_biggrin:

My day was totally boring - university stuff.. :rage:
      Hate it so much - boring people who all seem to be obsessed with what they are doing. It is probably the strangest uni ever! The students seem to live just for their courses and course material and seminar papers... they never talk about anything else and spend all day at uni!

I used to go to another one (a city in Austria that is famous for its students and the biggest uniparty in Europe takes places there every year - AWESOME) where the people were much more relaxed and funny...

Taking university seriously is a good thing, but not like this I guess...

So going to sleep now :f_zZz: