Thinking about picking up poker again

• metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,
      I got into poker 2 years ago with the free 50. I got the basics down, got through Sklanski and Harrington but pretty much donked the 50.

Now Im thinking about picking it up again and play on poker stars. I would really like to improve cash game and get good. The problem is Im currently a student and dont have enough for the initial deposit. Do you think 50 will be enough ? :/
  • 12 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Usually I would suggest having 30+ buy ins for a game type as a bankroll as variance can kick in an leave you broke. However at te lowest levels the standard is usually really bad meaning that you can get away with starting with a little less. In sure 25buy ins is a fine bankroll to start with for nl2.

Have you thought about playing hu sngs? You would g
      Have almost 50bis at the lowest levels and the competition is really soft and you very rarely find competent regulars and instead of a 6max table where you have to share the fish you get then all to yourself.

Playing hu you are involved in every single pot and this also means that you can work on an improve your basic fundamentals such as positional awareness, bet sizing, understanding game flow and reading board textures.

Either way whatever game type you choose in sure you can be successful. Ditch Harrington and slabsky and start from scratch with our education services which include hand evaluations, videos and articles.

Good luck
      Patrick
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey there metalDays,

$50 is plenty to get you started, as pleno1 suggested you could play some HU SnG's or even 6Man/9Man SnG's which start at $1, giving you 50Bi's to keep you going. Even using your bankroll at NL2 you'd have 25Bi's, it mostly depends and what you want to play.

I've seen many successfully Blogs here from users who started with $50 on NL2 and are now playing NL10 with $300+! There is no reason you can't join them :)

You can also use one of the Free Bankrolls within my Sig and then deposit on top giving you an extra few bucks ;)

Let us now what you decide on and how its going!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness

I've seen many successfully Blogs here from users who started with $50 on NL2 and are now playing NL10 with $300+! There is no reason you can't join them :)

Me me me!! :f_biggrin:

But yeah metalDays $50 is enough to start playing poker again.

Take a look at this blog. He started again with $20 and is building it up playing cash games.

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Althrough I think it might be bad for metalDays to see how eeer1 is crushing the micros because it's pure perversion. :s_confused:

He might get depressed when he sees what a winrate some guys can still achieve this day.. :O

That blog is just sick, makes me wanna quit poker actually.. ?(
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I get your point eXtremeACE

Makes me want to kill myself when reading that blog! But it does prove that the micro's are beatable and that we have to work much harder if we ever want to get to that win rate.

But he also just might be on a heater. He only just started to blog, you never know whats going to happen next!

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      50 is always enough ........ until tilt comes into play or something goes wrong........... dun dun duuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Don't fall into that trap :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      50 is always enough ........ until tilt comes into play or something goes wrong........... dun dun duuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Don't fall into that trap :)
      If he sticks to good BRM then $50 is enough! I started twice with $50. Sure you'll lose some, but with good BRM you won't get in trouble.

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      didn't I just say 50 dollars was enough ??

Then went on to say unless he tilts or losses heavy and tilts...............
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      True but you're making him scared.

You just have to manage your tilt (set a stop-loss, stop playing, don't go play higher limits!!!)

Good luck MetalDays!

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I think it is great to make him aware of tilt and the potential to loose, it is a part of poker and the more he is aware of it, the more he can control it :)

Rubs rastweets shoulders, relax, there there. I am sure he is not scared.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Ditch Harrington and slabsky and start from scratch with our education services which include hand evaluations, videos and articles.
      lol, that sounded so smug.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum

Rubs rastweets shoulders, relax, there there. I am sure he is not scared.
      :f_biggrin: I hope for he isn't :s_evil: