shall i change site?

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      seem to be having a bit of trouble getting anywhere with poker atm. i play fullring and i used to play on party and got up to nl10, but recently i've been on stars at nl5 and i've been break even over 25k hands. think i should switch back to party? i hear stars is the toughest site, but nl5???!! will the difference in sites really be worth the change? and i am very aware i have leaks but all i can do is work on those.
  • 10 replies
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Hey

just keep working on your game and plug thoes leaks, is 25k a big enough sample at full ring to make a judgment?

i dont think moving sites will solve your problems
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      stars is really soft on micro stakes imo, well atleast until nl25 as far as I have played there, just try harded, there are a lot of fish down there, try concetrating on them.
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      If you really want to be good at poker, you should play with the toughest field. If you can beat them, then you beat everybody. The only way to improve is by playing with the toughest opponents. On the other hand, if you want to have a hobby that you can make profit with and you don't really want to put a lot of effort on improving, then it's better to choose the easiest opponents. The choise is yours, first in village or second in Rome ?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i agree there are some really bad players there but at the same time i can't seem to squeeze any value out of my big hands and when i think that's what im doing it turns out i'm behind. it seems i don't really know where my leaks are either so not too sure where to start. my stats seem okay ish over the sample so that makes it hard for me to see what i should improve. and yeah 25k hands isnt huge as far as samples go but being break even pretty much for the whole time says to me there is something seriously wrong with my game!

and i do agree with you solidius - i don't particularly want to change sites (although im not tracked on stars) and if it means i will improve if i stay there then i am all for it, but at the same time i dont like spending many hands going nowhere.. but i don't want to rant. if there are people who can beat nl5 on stars then i can too, i just need to figure out my mistakes i guess. thanks for the input - i will go read some articles.
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      i agree there are some really bad players there but at the same time i can't seem to squeeze any value out of my big hands and when i think that's what im doing it turns out i'm behind. it seems i don't really know where my leaks are either so not too sure where to start. my stats seem okay ish over the sample so that makes it hard for me to see what i should improve. and yeah 25k hands isnt huge as far as samples go but being break even pretty much for the whole time says to me there is something seriously wrong with my game!

and i do agree with you solidius - i don't particularly want to change sites (although im not tracked on stars) and if it means i will improve if i stay there then i am all for it, but at the same time i dont like spending many hands going nowhere.. but i don't want to rant. if there are people who can beat nl5 on stars then i can too, i just need to figure out my mistakes i guess. thanks for the input - i will go read some articles.
      Check my blog. I played 86k hands at NL5 on pokerstars, if you want to make some sweat sessions, then send me your skype. I'll be moving to NL10 soon, but i am willing to help you if i can.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Solidius
      If you really want to be good at poker, you should play with the toughest field. If you can beat them, then you beat everybody.
      The flip side of that is "If you can't beat them, you might as well beat somebody".

I think that the compromise is BRM and move up in limits to find the highest level you can maintain a positive winrate, while taking shots at higher limits as you can afford to do so.

Those shots have to involve study and practice though.
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      There could be a psychological factor here. Currently at your site you feel like you're already going to lose before you start a session, so therefore you may not be as attentive when playing.

When you move sites you may become more motivated and engrossed in the game and therefore play better. Moving sites may not be a bad thing...
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      @ solidius

i had a little read of your blog and you seem to be making some good progress! i like your winrate on nl5 round 2. my graph looks the same as your first nl5 graph just before it goes up at the end lol. i added you in the community we can exchange skype and talk if you want.

@vorpal

i have the roll for nl10, but i don't want to play it until i know i can beat nl5 at a decent wr. atm im running at between 1 and 3 bb/100 and i guess that fluctuation says something about my volume. i will stick about on nl5 at stars for another load of hands and see what happens. i think my biggest leak is taking top pair type hands too far so i need to stay disciplined and fold more hands. until i can do this then i dont think it is worth me moving up.

@quadzzzzzzz

now that you say that..... if i've had a losing session and then sit down for my next one, i have this nagging feeling that it's going to be losing again and a lot of the time it happens. but once i lose a few BI i (mentally) slap myself and start playing better then the graph goes back up to break even. maybe i need to give myself that slap before i play so i don't stack off too much. think i just need to focus on studying and playing my A game.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Silver
      Originally posted by Solidius
      If you really want to be good at poker, you should play with the toughest field. If you can beat them, then you beat everybody. The only way to improve is by playing with the toughest opponents. On the other hand, if you want to have a hobby that you can make profit with and you don't really want to put a lot of effort on improving, then it's better to choose the easiest opponents. The choise is yours, first in village or second in Rome ?
      Thats not great advice, your gonna lose alot of money before you can even become a break even player with that strategy. Even when you eventually start making money its going to take you time to recoup your losses and actually make a profit.

If you started at the small stakes and built up then you would already have made profit and have learned alot about Poker along the way.

Oh and btw, moving sites will help, Pokerstars is the hardest field out there, even on micor stakes you get decent players. Your much better off playing at 888/Party where the field is softer.

The only plus side of PokerStars is the regular and tasty MTTs, so if your a cash game player go somewhere else. Only play PS if your tournament player to start off with, when you improve your game then head over to PS becuse the traffic on higher stakes is much better than anywhere else.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey DrDunne and evereyone else of course!

I don't like the idea about playing with the best to be the best etc. Whats our main goal in poker in poker? Make money... I rather play on nl100 vs a lot of fish and make a huge profit then play nl200 vs the best.

I think TT posted today about everything should be MAX EV. Max ev is playing vs fish and not regs.

Well thats my way of thinking. Feel free to give you comments on my post!

NOTE: sorry for any typo's I'm on my phone.

RasTweet