* Strategy Contest *

• CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Going to try a fun/simple contest here.

Submit an interesting SNG tip in this thread. Whoever submits the best one, I'll review a hand history for you and turn it into a leakfinder video giving all tips possible to improve your game. (Changing your screenname to "Hero" in the video is no problem if you'd rather remain anonymous to viewers.)

I'll start.

Post-ante with deeper stacks, you can profitably min-raise 100% of hands on the button if the blinds only defend top 25%.

Edit: Deadline of Sunday June 10 for submissions, thanks.
  • 30 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I'll submit three tips without entering the contest:

1) You must change the SNG Wizard default ranges.

2) If you aren't often getting your chips in with the weaker hand, you aren't playing SNGs well.

3) Don't estimate your opponents' ranges based on your hand.
    • jaggedlink
      jaggedlink
      Bronze
      Table selection is key to long-term winrate. You + 1-2 regs +3 :f_confused: = profit!!!
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      1) don't push nash from early positions (push tighter)! (6+ plrs left)

i think thats sth that helped me the most when i was climbing my way out of the micros. When i came across the Nash Equilibrium, started to spend a lot of the time with the ICM Trainer and Nash Calculator and was like "now im indestructible, cause i 'know' nash and all those fishes dont" :) it took me quite some time to really understand how big of a difference to my pushing range it makes if they call waaay wider than nash.

2) 10bb effective in HU you can profitably push 87,3% (22+, all suited hands, J3o+ T4o+ 95o+ 84o+ 74o+ 63o+ 53o+ 43o) if your opponent calls 30,6% (22+ A2+ K4s+ K8o+ Q9s+ QTo+ JTs).

I'd say thats a reasonable calling range for an average unknown. Maybe even a bit tighter and then we can push ATC. Nash pushing range for 10bb is 56,6% so if youre pushing nash youre missing out on a lot of value. Works best with high blinds/similar stacks. If its let's say 200/400 level with the stacks of 16000 and 4000 (Party structure) they tend to call looser cause i guess "this tourney is already over whatever I do" :)
    • Schrader69
      Schrader69
      Silver
      1) If Colin attempts an any2 steal on us assuming we defend top 25% in BB, we can return an any2 resteal

2) A few of my favourite HUD stats
      Preflop: BUT & SB steal, fold BB to steal, limpfold, 3bet

3) Know blind & button ranges because these are the positions where you play the most hands. Plenty of EV to be had in these situations just by estimating various opponents calling ranges and adjusting your own ranges based on that

4) Timing down on the bubble will not increase your chance of cashing like an MTT
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks for the contributions so far guys, as well as to pzhon for his excellent advice as always. Editing OP for a deadline of June 10 for anyone else who'd like to contribute.
    • biogas
      biogas
      Gold
      1) You can push from SB to BB as loose as if u were playing HU.
      2) 15BB eff. stack is OK to push from SB to BB (saves u trouble postflop)
      3) early just call EP/MP raise with AK and play from there
      4) if u never waste your chip stack as chip leader on the bubble, u got it all wrong.
      5) 20% rake is beatable on micros.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by biogas
      1) You can push from SB to BB as loose as if u were playing HU.
      Dangerous tip. You are not doing cEV decisions when there are multiple players left.
    • Antonioull
      Antonioull
      Bronze
      I would suggest deadline of 1 month ) + posting this in another part of the forum ))

Well i know its not the idea behind this thread but keep investing in learning+adapting (although thats worth for everything really )) )
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Antonioull
      I would suggest deadline of 1 month ) + posting this in another part of the forum ))

Well i know its not the idea behind this thread but keep investing in learning+adapting (although thats worth for everything really )) )
      Why should he post it anywhere else? This is the SnG strategy section.

BTW Collin, great idea!
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Originally posted by CollinMoshman
      I'll start.

Post-ante with deeper stacks, you can profitably min-raise 100% of hands on the button if the blinds only defend top 25%.
      We've got the winner!
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Adjust to antes especially in turbos. It quickly becomes better to raise with any 2 then wait for a better spot because of chip ev + future spots.
    • MadInAVacuum
      MadInAVacuum
      Bronze
      1) Playing Nash is right only if you play with good players.
      2) The looser than Nash your opponents call on the bubble, the tighter than Nash you must call. There will be a great chance someone bubble before you.
      3) Covering all other players in KO tournament from the beginning will increase your EV greatly.
    • savage1981
      savage1981
      Bronze
      When reviewing in Wiz spots where you push from the button in later stages, always adjust the ranges for what would happen had you folded. The smaller the chance that the blinds will collide, the more you can push.
    • vidrata
      vidrata
      Silver
      Here are few tips from me without entering the contest:

1) Omit thin spots on soft tables
      2) The higher you go up the limits, the more you have to pay very close attention, to the meta game with a specific reg
      3) Always make sure you are in positive mood, before starting a session (applies to all forms of poker)
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Targetme
      Adjust to antes especially in turbos. It quickly becomes better to raise with any 2 then wait for a better spot because of chip ev + future spots.
      Raise any two THEN wait for a better spot? Trolololol
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      1) take notes on opp. that you can't (easily) get through stats
      2) adjust to your opponents tendencies
      3) when mass multitabling use tableninja ( if available on the site your playing ^^ )
      4) colorcode your opponent for how good they are so you can easily which tables are soft
      5) analyse your game before or after playing a session
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      When in doubt, shove.
    • Antonioull
      Antonioull
      Bronze
      Originally posted by akrammon
      Originally posted by Antonioull

Why should he post it anywhere else? This is the SnG strategy section.

BTW Collin, great idea!
      Because when i chek it this had been here 4 8 days and only 3 people answered , knowing how collin is popular among sng players i thought
      putting at least a thread in the main would atract more people
      I for ex play sngs and very rarely or never chek this part of the forum
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Heads up in an SNG there is no ICM, therefore we need to positive EV plays not $EV.

Cheers