Tech advice needed!

• maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Hello people.

I am having trouble 8+ tabling lately and I was wondering whether it was my laptop's fault, internet provider or the network am playing on.

The trouble I am referring to is that there are times that there is a huge delay(lag) and by the time my hole cards are shown I time out. Its very very fustrating.

Until recently, I was using the poker tracker 3 HUD and I could 15 table without any problems. My trial for poker tracker expired recently. Since then I bought holdem manager 2 but I didnt have time to experiment with it yet. The past week that I have been playing I couldnt run more than 8 sng's smoothly

My laptop is about 4-5 months old, I bought it for around $1.3k and these are it's characteristics:
      Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Internet characteristics:
      Ping= 20 ms
      Download speed 4 mbps
      Upload speed 1 mbps

I play SNG's on the ongame network and I use this mod
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=147387&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=2

Note that I dont have many apps running in the background while playing. Maybe skype/firefox.

Any ideas of what might be the problem? ?(

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
      A member of our community posted this a while ago, does anyone know what I can do about it?
      Nope. My 17.3' 1600:900 fits 6. You should buy 1920x1080 one, then with some overlapping 9 is possible as Demonic said. Or buy a monitor with it.I'm 12 tabling now with a laptop (1600x900) and 1920x1080 monitor very comfortably. 15 should be possible too. But even with i7 processor and 8gb ram Ongame software lags at 10+. Thing is I can't get my processor work at full speed cause it doesn't recognize Ongames java as a needy process.
  • 16 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by maritsula
      I am having trouble 8+ tabling lately and I was wondering whether it was my laptop's fault, internet provider or the network am playing on.

My laptop is about 4-5 months old, I bought it for around $1.3k and these are it's characteristics:
      Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
      Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Internet characteristics:
      Ping= 20 ms
      Download speed 4 mbps
      Upload speed 1 mbps

Note that I dont have many apps running in the background while playing. Maybe skype/firefox.

Any ideas of what might be the problem? ?(

Thanks a lot!
      I don't think it's your hardware. :)
      What OS? I'm guessing Windows 7. Patched?
      Are you using a router or firewall?
      Do you run anti-virus software?
      If so does it have a firewall?

You might try an internet speed test to see if your internet connection is doing what your ISP says it is doing. Just don't install any of the offers on any of the sites that promise to speed up your PC. You can google "internet speed test" and try out one or two to compare the results to your ISPs promises.

Again, don't install anything that promises to speed up your internet connection or your PC

Do you experience similar lags on other sites?

If not, I would suspect the poker site itself.
      Mention this to their tech support people, too -- be sure to document which table # and hand # this happened on.

Good luck,
      --VS
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks VorpalF2F.

Will move this thread to the relevant board.

GL in getting this fixed maritsula :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      I used to have the same kinda problems with my old laptop... But your one sounds better than my new one so I got no idea... I can run 24 tables with HM, TableNinja with no trouble with a laptop half as good as yours. : s
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi maritsula

I have the same problems as you when I'm @ my girlfriends house. And it's just the internet... When I'm at my place everything works just fine.

Have you tried running other games, like a FPS or something similar?

Regards

RasTweet
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

I don't think it's your hardware. :)
      What OS? I'm guessing Windows 7. Patched?
      Are you using a router or firewall?
      Do you run anti-virus software?
      If so does it have a firewall?

You might try an internet speed test to see if your internet connection is doing what your ISP says it is doing. Just don't install any of the offers on any of the sites that promise to speed up your PC. You can google "internet speed test" and try out one or two to compare the results to your ISPs promises.

Again, don't install anything that promises to speed up your internet connection or your PC

Do you experience similar lags on other sites?

If not, I would suspect the poker site itself.
      Mention this to their tech support people, too -- be sure to document which table # and hand # this happened on.

Good luck,
      --VS
      Thank you for the feedback mate

1. I am a student at university and I live in student accomodation where the internet connection is with a cable and I am guessing that it has a firewall. In two weeks I will be home where I have a router.

2. I run Norton 360 antivirus. After some googling I found that it does have a firewall.

3.Yes I am using Windows 7

4. The results of the speed test (from speedtest.net) are the ones I included in my first post

Ping= 20 ms
      Download speed 4 mbps
      Upload speed 1 mbps

5. Unfortunately I only play on Ongame

I will send an email to their and I will let you know what they told me.

Thanks again.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by mccol001
      I used to have the same kinda problems with my old laptop... But your one sounds better than my new one so I got no idea... I can run 24 tables with HM, TableNinja with no trouble with a laptop half as good as yours. : s
      Hehe;p Let's hope I can get my laptop to run as well as yours:)
      So we can eliminate the possibility that my laptop is the cause of the problem!

Thanks for the input :s_biggrin:
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hi maritsula

I have the same problems as you when I'm @ my girlfriends house. And it's just the internet... When I'm at my place everything works just fine.

Have you tried running other games, like a FPS or something similar?

Regards

RasTweet
      I played the new COD a while ago for a week and it was running good, not perfect but it was fine.

I ll find out if it's the internet provider fault when I move back home in two weeks and I let you know if it changes anything.

If am not mistaken, someone in this forum was saying that because ongame is running on JAVA it takes up much of the laptop's CPU and it causes it to lag. Does this make any sense to you?
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Thanks VorpalF2F.

Will move this thread to the relevant board.

GL in getting this fixed maritsula :)

Regards,
      Gary
      Sorry for posting in the wrong forum Gary :tongue:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      No problem maritsula!

Just wish I could help but this kind of stuff goes way over my head :(

All the best and hope you are running well?

Gary
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi maritsula

Well if you can play COD I don't really expect poker to be a problem! But what do I know about computers? :facepalm:

Best shot is trying it at home!

Do you experience any problems when you are watching youtube video's? @ my GF's place youtube causes problems very often.

RasTweet
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      No problem maritsula!

Gary
      Just won a nice tourney :) So yeah;p
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hi maritsula

Well if you can play COD I don't really expect poker to be a problem! But what do I know about computers? :facepalm:

Best shot is trying it at home!

Do you experience any problems when you are watching youtube video's? @ my GF's place youtube causes problems very often.

RasTweet
      Nothing like that, everythin else works smoothly ...

I found the post I was telling you about man. It's a member from our community and he said the following

Nope. My 17.3' 1600:900 fits 6. You should buy 1920x1080 one, then with some overlapping 9 is possible as Demonic said. Or buy a monitor with it.I'm 12 tabling now with a laptop (1600x900) and 1920x1080 monitor very comfortably. 15 should be possible too. But even with i7 processor and 8gb ram Ongame software lags at 10+. Thing is I can't get my processor work at full speed cause it doesn't recognize Ongames java as a needy process.

Do you have any idea of what should I do? Or should we wait for a tech expert to reply? :]
    • Sofia0000
      Sofia0000
      Basic
      Hello Maritsula, maybe your PC/laptop is full, you need to erase some other file or you can download ccleaner to clean your laptop or pc. :)
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Silver
      Originally posted by Sofia0000
      Hello Maritsula, maybe your PC/laptop is full, you need to erase some other file or you can download ccleaner to clean your laptop or pc. :)
      Hard disk is half full. I ll try the cleaner thing though. it seems to be a good idea. Thanks for your input
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Make Java a needy process? :f_biggrin:

Well my knowledge just stopped there :tongue:

I really have no clue what you can do about it now :( Sorry!

RasTweet
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maritsula
      No problem maritsula!

Gary
      Just won a nice tourney :) So yeah;p
      Ooooh do tell us more!

You should check out our bragging thread and post in there ;)

Best regards,
      Gary