Black
      $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players -

BB: $50.00
      UTG: $68.55
      CO: $66.80
      BTN: $41.26
      Hero (SB): $50.35

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with J :heart: J :diamond:
      UTG raises to $1.50, CO calls $1.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $6.50, 2 folds, CO calls $5

Flop: ($15.00) K :heart: 2 :diamond: Q :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $6.00, Hero folds

UTG 17/12 reg

CO

Preflop I think it's close between coldcalling and squeezing, but I didnt want to play JJ oop against 2 opponent.
      After getting called, what would you play on this flop, and possible later streets?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello pcfmcc02,

Nah, squeezing is still fine while the guy seems to be super-loose with calling 3bets. But do you plan to 3bet/Fold or go broke with the hand?

But as played I wouldn't play it any differently, worst flop we could imagine hitting, way too many hands continue there -> Check/Fold.

Best Regards.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Black
      Originally posted by veriz
      But do you plan to 3bet/Fold or go broke with the hand?
      If tight UTG openraiser 4bets me, then I think I would have folded JJ, cause he will almost never play back at me light, but if CO backraises me after squeezing, then I'm ready to go broke against him.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      What do you think villains range is here? Does it not consist mostly of small pocket pairs and speculative hands like suited connectors, gappers and such (sure there are also AT-AQ, KQ, JT and what not)?

Wouldn't it be better to bet this flop? Villain will usually fold small pocket pairs and connectors that did not hit this flop. Yes, we do get called by better hands (or draws). We can than easily c/f turn.

On the other hand if we check this flop we give villain a chance to bluff us off our hand. And he most likely will do that.
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Black
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      Wouldn't it be better to bet this flop? Villain will usually fold small pocket pairs and connectors that did not hit this flop. Yes, we do get called by better hands (or draws). We can than easily c/f turn.

On the other hand if we check this flop we give villain a chance to bluff us off our hand. And he most likely will do that.
      As I've started my poker career playing fixed limit where you almost 100% cbet flops, when I switched to NL first it was a big leak for me to cbet too much without the right reasons, which is way more costly in no limit, so I've tried to use some rule of thumbs in these cases:
      - worse hands call --> no --> no cbet
      - better hands fold --> no --> no cbet
      - stop Villain bluffing us by folding out his worse hands --> maybe --> cbet?

So overall I've tried to stop wasting (?) 5/10/20BBs for those "probe" bets, and stick with worse hands call / better hands fold reasoning.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      I agree. This is that dumb situation where you will not get called by worse (except for draws) and no better hand will fold. We turn our hand into a bluff. But IMO on this flop we should get a lot of folds considering villains range. That is if my assumptions of that range is correct at all- lots of pocket pairs and other speculative hands.

If we bet we win the pot on the flop OR we might get to a showdown more likely.

If we check we lose this pot close to 100%.

Edit. Now that I think about it I don't know if I should have called it turning our hand into a bluff (we are kind of overrepresenting our hand though). We bet so we don't get bluffed off the best hand, which we should have here most of the time. And again- if my assumptions of the villains range are correct.

I hope this makes sense.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, it wouldn't make sense to CB just once on the flop neither cause I assume he is almost always calling with any draw and Qx hands. :D So just donating money into him and with his fold to CB which is very likely. Therefore Check/Fold the flop while hits his UTG range. Why should I put on him only PPs, I don't get it...

And if we lose the pot, what's so horrible in it? Why would we want to win every single pot if we are more likely just donating money into him with the CB.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Ok, didn't look at the fold-to-cbet stat. That's a good point.

Villain is on the CO though not UTG. He coldcalls UTG raise and than calls our squeeze.