A Second Chance (BSS) - ZOOMing my way

• eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze

I made a blog long time ago and I failed.. I couldn't keep up myself motivated, and even though I was making money on NL2/NL5 (I had a somewhat big sample, I'm not talking 5-10k hands), I quitted.. :/ :facepalm:

I don't know why, I have this problem in my life. I have a lot of good sides that are plus for playing poker, for example I can't easily be tilted, I'm patient, knowledge-thirtsy, but I have this flaw in my life that It's hard for me to stick with stuff.

Like I would start learning programming, and in the beginning it will be fun and interesting, but as soon as I get a little more proficient at it, it starts becoming boring thing to do, and I quit.. I almost feel ashamed if I were to mention all the things I started doing (and quitted once I was somewhat good at them oO).. I tried programming, 3d modeling, animating, making sites, doing web designs, making games (C++, unity, flash), learning to play guitar and start a band, and I can even mention poker here as well because I learned about it few years ago, mainly on this site, but I "quitted", I never managed to follow a strict schedule and put in a lot of volume on monthyl basis.

But I was a kid, a young kid who had his whole life ahead of him when I tried doing all these things so there were no pressure.. Now I'm not all that older, I'm currently 19, but I feel the whole life is starting to pick up its pace and I really need to chose what I want to do in my life at this point, and STICK with it!

:heart: Out of all those things I mentioned, poker and programming were two things that somehow stuck with me, and I always find my self coming back to them. Since i tried it "all", I like poker the most. And I'm good in school, I'm not some school drop out who has chosen poker because it's seem easier. No, not at all, quite frankly I'm a good student, and I'm going to study the math and computer science at faculty of mathematics in the capital town of my country. But in all honesty, even if I would to finish this faculty with best possible grades, and if I land an job really easily I would still prefer to play NL200 one day, and make living with that, not with some 08-16h job..

So that's the plan anyway - by going to faculty I should have always a plan B if poker fails me, I would have an nice income and live happily off it, but deep in myself I really see myself playing poker and trying to rise through ranks and keep studying this seemingly easy game of poker. :P

:club: However, I have an entry exam to the faculty this month, in the period of 25.-29. of June, so I can't really play much this days, because I should prepare for that exam the best I can, and really get as much point as I can! Whole summer is in front of me, and I really want/should/have/MUST put in a tremendious hands in during that time.

I know I wrote this big introductory post and I probably bored 80% of you who opened it expecting to read something interesting, but not yet! ;) but I had to write it, I really did and it will also server for me to remind me that I should put my focus on poker and make my dream come true through hard work!

My (strict!) current goals:
      :spade: Play MSS FR until I have 160$ or 40BI for NL10
      :spade: Be active in Hand Evaluation forum and keep improving
      :spade: Watch numerious times videos on MSS, made by Gerv and Subar
      :spade: Try to attend coaches during Sundays 19:00-20:00 on MSS
      :spade: Play as much as I can. I don't want to set # number of hands, basically I should play as much as I can because life can't wait. :]

Current bankroll on Stars: 31.67$
      VPPs/FPPs: 49.06/49.06

Graph so far (NL5, MSS FR, 4.3k hands):

Not pretty I agree, but that's variance + my bad plays + small volume, hopefully it will go up, up, up.. :P
      For anyone reading (if there's any? :) ), is it possible on Elephant to see a EV line on the graph, like HEM can?

That should be it, we'll see how it goes from here!
      I really hope to look at this post again in a 12 months or so, and see a big difference and improvement!
  • 36 replies
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      ** Update **

I played today some ~600 hands and these are the results..

Profit: +0.31$
      VPPs/FPPs: +6.3
      Hands: 557

Graph:

Not really all that satisfied, was up like 4-5$, but then hit a row of big hands where I lost $$ with them..
      The most interesting hand was definitely:

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , K:club:
      UTG2 calls $0.05, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, UTG2 calls $0.55, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($1.42) 7:spade: , 5:club: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.4 (All-In), UTG2 calls $1.40.

Turn: ($4.22) 8:heart:
      River: ($4.22) 6:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.22

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG2 shows a straight, ten high (Th 9h)
      Hero shows (As Kc)
      UTG2 wins with a straight, ten high (Th 9h)

The UTG2 is probably the shark, calling an all-in with T9 knowing turn and river are going to be 8 and 6.. Just lol.. :f_cool:
      Anyways, that's about it.. Hopefully I can put in a good volume in a coming days and see some progress!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome back to blogging!

Wow, that's some crazy call by him, make a note and make sure to keep taking his money if he's playing like that all the time!

Will be following for sure!

Regards,
      Richard
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      following :f_thumbsup:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck second time around!

Following for sure :)
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Hey guys thanks for support :f_thumbsup:

I've been playing some more, and this is the results. By the way, it seems to me I can't start winning, I'm just BE the whole time, but I know my sample is really small and I hope it's just due to small sample (~6k hands).

Profit: +0.46$ (32.08$)
      VPPs/FPPs: +7.11 (62.47)
      Hands: +1038

Graph: (this session)

Graph: (all time MSS FR)

Seriously, is MSS supposed to be that swingy? :f_eek: Oh and is Elephant capable of showing showdown/non-showdown line, as well as +allin EV line on graph?

On the brighter side, I think I've found my big leak, and I've already started working on it - It was playing AK.. I don't know why, but I was playing it like the nuts. :f_eek:
      Probably because when I hit, it's the best possible one pair hand and for me, that was like nuts.. Now I slowed down with it, hopefully will fix that problem..

Oh, and this is my rig if anyone's interested.

Best regards!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      MSS can be quite swingy, how closely are you following the charts? There are times when the chart does not fit in with the table/player dynamics, as it is only a chart to help you get started.
      As you learn the strategy at coachings from Gerv etc your winrate will improve :f_thumbsup:

Roo
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      MSS can be quite swingy, how closely are you following the charts? There are times when the chart does not fit in with the table/player dynamics, as it is only a chart to help you get started.
      As you learn the strategy at coachings from Gerv etc your winrate will improve :f_thumbsup:

Roo
      Cheers Roo,

Well it depends.. I would really love to have like thousands of hands on each player, and basically see how they handle cbets, donks, c/r, etc and make my play near perfect against them, but I usually only have a few tens of hands on each villain and my hand reading as well as note taking skills suck so it's hard for me to make adjustments.. :/

Still I don't blindly follow charts, but I don't adjust well - to be honest with you and myself.. :/

Those are two areas I ought to improve I think.. Note taking and hand reading.. But it's hard since MSS articles here at PS.com don't really teach you that, they teach you how to play with charts.. Any tips?

You play MSS on NL50, from what I got out of your blog? I quickly skimmed through it, but it's hard since you have like 40 pages. :D And at some point you mentioned you're switching to BSS, so I'm not entirely sure you're on MSS..

Best regards
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by eXtremeACE
      Originally posted by roopopper

Roo
      Cheers Roo,

Well it depends.. I would really love to have like thousands of hands on each player, and basically see how they handle cbets, donks, c/r, etc and make my play near perfect against them, but I usually only have a few tens of hands on each villain and my hand reading as well as note taking skills suck so it's hard for me to make adjustments.. :/

Still I don't blindly follow charts, but I don't adjust well - to be honest with you and myself.. :/

Those are two areas I ought to improve I think.. Note taking and hand reading.. But it's hard since MSS articles here at PS.com don't really teach you that, they teach you how to play with charts.. Any tips?

You play MSS on NL50, from what I got out of your blog? I quickly skimmed through it, but it's hard since you have like 40 pages. :D And at some point you mentioned you're switching to BSS, so I'm not entirely sure you're on MSS..

Best regards
      lol don't read all my blog you will never recover from the madness...just skip to the last few pages they are about mss :f_biggrin:
      I have been playing some nl50 but have spent months playing mss at nl2/nl4 etc and have recently started to play nl2 again as I'm trying to learn to improve my multi-tabling win rate and dont want to spew to much monies :f_biggrin:
      I'm pretty lame at hand reading too but taking notes from any hands that went to showdown from hem are helping me a lot, also reading through bss articles helps as the info for mss is poor (I complain to ps about this all the time :f_biggrin: )
      Let me know if you want a sweat session or chat on skype to swap ideas and stuff :)
      Also I purged all my hands on hem to start afresh so we have about the same amount of hands on hem which I think puts us about even :f_biggrin:

Roo
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      lol don't read all my blog you will never recover from the madness...just skip to the last few pages they are about mss I have been playing some nl50 but have spent months playing mss at nl2/nl4 etc and have recently started to play nl2 again as I'm trying to learn to improve my multi-tabling win rate and dont want to spew to much monies

I find it strange that you jumped from NL50 to NL2, usually it's the other way around. :)

info for mss is poor (I complain to ps about this all the time )

QFT. If I weren't better informed, I would think MSS is dead.. So few articles, so few videos, so few threads.. :( Poor little MSS.. :heart: :D

Let me know if you want a sweat session or chat on skype to swap ideas and stuff Also I purged all my hands on hem to start afresh so we have about the same amount of hands on hem which I think puts us about even

YES! I would like that, we should make our small MSS discussion group.. And sweat sessions sound like a really good way to transfer ideas and improve my speaking english (which currently sucks :facepalm: ) However, if you've read the first few paragraphs of my blog you'll know that I have that entry exam to a faculty coming in a few weeks, and I really don't know if I'll have time to set everything up for a sweat before it, but after it's gone you can be sure we'll hang out frequently if you want to discuss MSS or poker in general.

Where are you from, asking because of time zone related issues?

BTW, next time Gerv asks if you can count in German to 10, learn this and shock him :D 1 - eins, 2 - zwei, 3 - drei, 4 - vier, 5 - funf, 6 - sechs, 7 - sieben, 8 - acht, 9 - neun, 10 - zehn. :coolface:

Best regards
    • moharith
      moharith
      Bronze
      also a nice blog, and good to see a fellow mss'er. :f_biggrin: mss isnt dead, its just misused sometimes.

as opposite advice from former poster i strongly suggest NOT to get to creative with the charts. get a steady routine, fix the leaks and then build out. its rather unsafe to start with building out the charts.

keep the sessions short and the multitable small.

i like your enthousiasm!

grtz
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Hey moharith

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, it isn't.. :) Well I agree with both of you, it's good to stick with basics and have discipline, but you really have to deviate some times, else you'll be giving away some pretty fat +EV spots..

** Update **

:heart: Anyways, I do come with an update, and oh man how swingy the last 1000 hands were.. :/

Profit: +1.60$ (33.68$)
      VPPs/FPPs: +15.72 (78.19)
      Hands: +1123

A lot of things happened..

KK hand
      Preflop: Hero is CO with K:heart: , K:diamond:
      UTG1 calls $0.05, UTG2 raises to $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, 4 folds, UTG2 calls $0.45, MP1 calls $0.45.

Flop: ($1.92) T:club: , 3:club: , 2:heart: (3 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.73, MP1 folds, Hero raises to $1.52 (All-In), UTG2 calls $0.79.

Turn: ($4.96) 7:diamond:
      River: ($4.96) 4:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.96

UTG2 shows a flush, ace high (Ac Kc)
      Hero shows (Kh Kd)

UTG2 wins with a flush, ace high (Ac Kc)

AQ hand
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , Q:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BU calls $0.15, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.37) Q:club: , J:heart: , 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.26, BU calls $0.26.

Turn: ($0.89) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.63, BU calls $0.63.

River: ($2.15) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.07 (All-In), BU calls $1.07.

Final Pot: $4.29

Hero shows (Ad Qd)
      BU shows three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jd)

BU wins with three-of-a-kind, jacks (Js Jd)

AA hand
      Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , A:diamond:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, 4 folds, UTG2 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.97) T:heart: , 6:heart: , 3:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55.

Turn: ($2.07) 7:club: (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.00 (All-In), UTG2 gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($4.07) T:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.07

UTG2 shows three-of-a-kind, tens (Kc Tc)
      Hero shows (As Ad)

UTG2 wins with three-of-a-kind, tens (Kc Tc)

JJ hand
      Preflop: Hero is CO with J:spade: , J:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.45, 3 folds, MP1 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.97) 9:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.69, MP1 raises to $2.31, Hero calls $0.81 (All-In), MP1 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($3.97) A:heart:
      River: ($3.97) K:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.97

MP1 shows three-of-a-kind, nines (9h 9c)
      Hero shows (Js Jd)

MP1 wins with three-of-a-kind, nines (9h 9c)

AA hand
      Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , A:club:
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.67) 9:heart: , 6:spade: , 4:club: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.32, Hero raises to $1.00, MP3 calls $0.68.

Turn: ($2.67) K:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.77 (All-In), Hero calls $0.63 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($3.93) K:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.93

MP3 shows three-of-a-kind, kings (Kc Qd)
      Hero shows (Ad Ac)

MP3 wins with three-of-a-kind, kings (Kc Qd)

So as you can see things weren't going in my favor all that much.. :f_cry: But I managed to somehow get myself up again, and hopefully will start going in a positive way, for a change! :f_grin:

And here is the "lifetime" graph of MSS if anyone's interested.. Not pretty at all! :f_frown:

Best regards!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by moharith

as opposite advice from former poster i strongly suggest NOT to get to creative with the charts. get a steady routine, fix the leaks and then build out. its rather unsafe to start with building out the charts.

Had better mention here when i'm talking about moving away from the charts at the micros, nl2,nl4,nl10 on loose tables etc its more about tightening up for me than getting looser!!! :)
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Hey Roo, you forgot to tell me what's your time zone?

Anyway a strange thing occured, I was re-reading through MSS articles once again, because reading too much can't be a bad thing (right?), and I noticed something I didn't before..

When consulting the 3-Betting chart, it seems we aren't supposed to make a 3-bet if the someone raised and at least 1 has called the raise with grey hands?

:diamond: If there was 1 raise before you, you make a reraise with the hands, but if after that an opponent reraises you, you fold.
      :diamond: If there was 1 raise before you, you make a reraise with the hands, and if after that an opponent reraises you, you go all-in. With these hands you can also reraise if there was a raise before you, and somebody called that raise.

Now this is new for me, and I feel bad because the previous 7k hands or so I played differently.
      For example if I was holding a pair of tens ( hand) and someone let's say in the MP2 raised, and MP3 and CO called the raise and I was BU, I would actually consider re-raising 5x the original raise size. :f_eek: - this also made me think how can this be profitable, but this seems to solve it! :f_biggrin:

Just a heads up for fellow MSSers, if they though the same as I did.

Oh, and I don't think I'll be playing a lot before the July, because of that exam I'm having.. :/ But will still spend time lurking on the forums, reading about MSS and perhaps blogging about something interesting as well..

All the best!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I'm gmt

Its amazing how we can read somthing a few times and completely miss a really important part of it!!
      When I first started playing mss I was reraising the blue coloured hands in the steals and resteals chart lool

I can be quite nitty with the 3bet chart you mentioned and sometimes at the lower levels I dont always bother 3 betting with the grey hands, for example if villian has stats of 34/4 with no fold to 3 bet etc

Good luck with your exams :f_thumbsup:
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Oh great, I'm GMT+1, shouldn't be a problem then! :f_cool:

Yeah, it's strange! Also a good tip for 3-betting, but I have to have their 3bet and fold to 3bet stats displayed on the HUD then, I have hidden it for time being..

Good luck with your exams :f_thumbsup:

Hey thanks! On that note I've made a prop bet with my parents. :D
      Basically, if I ace that exam then they won't have to pay the faculty fees for the first year and they'll hand me 100 euros to help my poker. :heart:

When they said that, I though for a second...
      and then I was like

So the challenge is ON, the exam is on the June of 27, let's hope I do ace it, and get that money. :f_biggrin:
      Seems to me studying right now is the most +EV move I can take..
      That 100 euros or 125$ should really jump me far poker wise - I'll have a BR of about 160$ which is good enough for NL10. :megusta:

So no poker-related posts from me until July. :( I mean, I can bore you with all the maths I have to study right now, but you probably aren't interested in that. :D

Best regards
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      see you after june the 27th, I will be in coral bay, paphos that week but will cross my fingers for you :f_biggrin:
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Thanks Roo.. Still hard not to come here and read/discuss/learn, but I'll have to resist my urges.. :/

I will be in coral bay, paphos

Seems like heaven on earth! :f_cool:
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      Nice Blog! I am having the Swing too! After another session tonight I think I am gonna make a rage post on my blog, but that's ok! Gonna follow you, let me know if you want to skype some time.

Edit: Was going to ask you for tips, but I saw the other blog :D
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Will be following you!

Good luck! :s_thumbsup: