MP: $1.68 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 9, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 22
      CO: $10.49 - VPIP: 34, PFR: 13, 3B: 3, AF: 0.4, Hands: 68
      Hero (BTN): $9.39 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 11, 3B: 5, AF: 2.2, Hands: 36140
      SB: $1.49 - VPIP: 13, PFR: 2, 3B: 6, AF: 0.0, Hands: 46
      BB: $5.00 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 7
      UTG: $8.63 - VPIP: 98, PFR: 80, 3B: 27, AF: 4.1, Hands: 49

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with 4:club: A:club:
      UTG raises to $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.27) 5:heart: A:spade: 6:club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.07) 7:club: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

River: ($2.87) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $7.23, Hero???

the guy is a maniac and was paying people off with trash, sucking out with trash etc extremely aggro. i called him down but wasn't expecting the shove. should i call it?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Even if he is a maniac I doubt that you are going to be ahead on the river often enough to satisfy the Call. :) I'd fold.

Best Regards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      yeah i was planning to call him down but the shove completely changed my mind. but then a few hands later he kept doing it to other people as well, so i was in another hand with him and he did it again so i made the crying call and he had air lol
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global

...but the shove completely changed my mind.

"completely changed my mind" - so when you called his bet on turn, what was your plan if you didn't complete you open-ended straight draw?

What did you expect him to do on the river, considering he is loose-aggressive maniac? To check?

and he had air

What is "air" ?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      i was planning to call him down with any made hand - i wasn't specifically chasing my OESD; i was quite happy with the top pair, but i am not prepared to play for stacks since he was largely unknown and that could have been some weird value line of his to just dump his chips in. yes he was a maniac, but to play for stacks without seeing more hands by him would have been stupid. and ofc i wasn't expecting him to check - i would have called another bet not an overbet like this. what do you think i should have done instead?
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global

I was quite happy with the top pair.

Harrington states in his book:

Many players fall into the trap of thinking that a weak, loose-passive player can’t have a strong holding. They can and do.

Why risk unnecessary?

The best method vs. loose-aggressive maniac is trapping him! Yes, you have top pair, but he could also have ace with a better kicker. Who knows...
      If I had top pair top kicker I would gladly called his all-in.

So next time you see maniac like this: get "good hand" (top pair top kicker or better) and go all the way.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      the guy was loose aggressive, so what harrington said doesn't really apply here. and i would have gone all the way if he didn't shove. in fact a few hands later i did go all the way and i called his shove so with that i probably should have called it here. i didnt because i didnt really know where i stood. and i agree with TPTK definitely calling AI :) although.. that paired board is a little scary - a 7 is definitely in his range.

btw "air" is no hand. something like 9 :club: 7 :diamond: on K :heart: 3 :heart: 2 :spade:
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global
      Do as you fit best. Good luck!