josvdk

• josvdk
      josvdk
      Bronze
      Hi, my name is Jos and I study law in the Netherlands. I have attended to the BSS summer school but i couldnt keep up and gave up after week 3 I think. This time I'm am more motived and I can set my own pace. So I'm confident I will get beyond week 3 :)

Homework week 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

At first it was to make some extra money and maybe even turn pro. But this time it's just for fun. The prospect of being a lawyer seems more realistic and almost equally exciting.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think it's concentration. I do get a little emotional sometimes but I always recognize it quickly. So I don't loose a lot of money on that.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means playing only good hands in good spots. I think it also means not being passive or reactive but instead to take the initiative as much as possible. It works because the pots will get bigger and on your conditions. It also reveals less information about the hand you're holding.
  • 2 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Jos!

Welcome to the beginners course! I see you've already posted your first homework and are eager to get this course started!

I'm sure our coach Veriz will be around very soon. Good luck with the course and I really hope you enjoy it and it helps you crush the tables!

Regards,
      Gary
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. Listening music, watching TV, reading forums, although people don't understand that those kind of distractions will just make you lose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more. Try remind yourself often what you are doing on the tables and keep it this way. With time you will get used to it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.