Downswing/variance (SSS)

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello to everybody!

I've been playing SSS on FTP for few months now and achieved NL25. And everything was going on well for me until last week when my biggest downswing started, I was losing everything, I lost 5X QQ in a row, I didn't win any coinfips etc.(I believe all of you know how bad beats look like, so I'll stop here:) )...

So, I know that downswings are part of the game and I should get used to bad beats, but my problem here was that this downswing wasn't pissing me off, but it caused me worries, since it lasted for the whole week and I lost in it more then half of my bankroll and I was on a good way of getting broke.

I made precautions for it, I reduced number of tables I played, I posted hands I wasn't sure of my correct play and I always stoped playing when felt like on tilt, because I got broke because of tilt once before and will never let it happen again.:rolleyes: ...but no matter what I did I was finishing my 400hands sessions with -80BB on average. Alltogether I lost 440BBs which seems quite a lot to me for a onetime downswing and I would ask you if this is normal for SSS player to happen to or if there is some "limit" of how big the variance can be for SSS?

However, I didn't find any major leaks in my game when posting hands, even though my game is still not perfect since I'm still learning, so I make some mistakes occasionally and therefore I'd like to know if I should be worried about my profitability because of this downswing?

P.S.: Luckily my downswing ended last night when I made +104BB in my regular session. :)
  • 5 replies
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      Naah..seems pretty standart to me. You lost around 22BI, seen worse stories.
      My worst downswing so far was 1300BB.OFC, im playing BSS, and thats swingier.
      Just stick to BRM, and have the discipline to lower the limit if needed, and you'll be fine
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      Burek : I know how you feel, I wish you a huuuge upswing from now on :D I lost 16 buy ins last week on nl25, so I had to move down a limit. I hope that didn't happen to you, and you can still play nl25. I too posted hands, and didn't find so many big leaks in my game (of course there were some :tongue: ), so yes, I think that kind of downswing is indeed possible

tzveti : I think SSS has a higher variance than BSS, but maybe I'm wrong??
    • tzveti
      tzveti
      Bronze
      In a matter of Buy-ins, it has.
      If we speak about BBs, it surely doesnt :D .
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Thank you both for your replies, I feel a little less worried now.:)

matkov: Luckily I didn't have to move down the limits, so I remain on NL25 and I hope that BR will move up now... I hope that you will soon get some upswing too and that we meet again at NL25 and go for some fishing. :) Thank you for nice wishes!
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      fishing would be nice, it's just that at the moment I feel like I'm the biggest fish haha :D

good luck