Pot odds always not profitable??

• hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I just learned how to calculate pot odds to winning odds. But if i'm gonna make a "profitable call" i won't ever call a draw because almost all people i play against including myself always bet 1/2 - 3/4 of the pot. i'm shure there is i simple answer to this. appreciate all answers. thanks!
  • 13 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      implied odds.

how much extra monies do you expect to win when you hit your draw?
      being in position helps, also straight draws are generally more disguised than flush draws
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      correct me if i'm wrong. Lets say i have and open ended straight draw on the flop. The pot is 3000. the opponent bets 1000.
      Winning odds is 5.1 and pot odds is 3.1 = fold. Right?
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      you have to call 1000 to win 4000 thats 3000 in the pot plus the 1000 he bet

you have 8 outs to hit your draw

so the answer is?
    • doctorkgb
      doctorkgb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hvard92
      correct me if i'm wrong. Lets say i have and open ended straight draw on the flop. The pot is 3000. the opponent bets 1000.
      Winning odds is 5.1 and pot odds is 3.1 = fold. Right?
      If you raise/shove, you are semi-bluffing and lack of odds is still there, but if you put him on weak range, and you think you have enough fold equity-it can be profitable.

If you just call, you need to believe that his range is strong or that he is stubborn with his holding and that he will pay you of if you hit your draw. That is implied odds.

Otherwise, your call is a mathematical mistake.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      drawing odds 5.1 and pot odds 4.1 = fold because the pot odds most be greater than the drawing odds?
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      alright. guess i must study more on implied odds aswell then. thanks!
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      if both odds are the same you not going to lose money so its neutral
      also your position is important

does he cbet alot and give up on turn? (you get a free turn card)
      there is a ton of other stuff you could take into consideration but i would just stick to the very basics for now and make yourself aware of equity, odds, outs, and implied odds
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      i'm gonna take note of what you said thanks. But did i understand the pot odds to drawing odds? the drawing odds was 5.1 and pot odds was 4.1?
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i'm gonna take note of what you said thanks. But did i understand the pot odds to drawing odds? the drawing odds was 5.1 and pot odds was 4.1?
      correct
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the help in here guys.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi hvard92

I don't really have to add anything in here, the other guys have it covered.

I have one suggestion for you though! I suggest you start with the No Limit Beginners Course! During this course you will learn all the basics about poker. It will be a solid foundation for your poker career!

best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks. i will take a look on it.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Thanks. i will take a look on it.
      Great idea!

If you have any questions about the course itself just fire them away and I'll respond asap! I've passed the course myself and it was one of the best things I've done Learning wise, completely changed my game for the good and it can do for you too :]

One of the bets parts is that you get to interact with our Coachs in your Locker Room and ask any questions you wish, he will be ale to help you understand Odds in no time ;)