tells on a set.

• 13 replies
    • Tunatic
      Tunatic
      Bronze
      IMO, this can vary a lot from player to player, and of course, it also depends on the style of the game you play.

There is simply not a simple recipe that I could tell you on how to spot a set. Every player plays it their own way. Some like to trap, slow-play them, some just bet and keep shooting at you until the river. Some try to bet on the flop, then try to trap on the turn etc. So many ways you can play a set.

It also depends on who you're playing against, that's where stats come into play.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      alright thanks!
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      yeah its tough

as said you can only go on your reads/stats and hand reading skills

say your playing against a very passisve opponent who check raises you on a very dry board he will have a set most of the time

say you get checked raised by a bad aggressive opponent on a very draw heavy board? well good luck with that one :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Yep someone plays a set vs you just watch the hand back see how they played it and make a note of what they did when they did it and how much $they did it with if they do it the same way the next time in a similar situation and the next time soon you will start to be able to tell. Without any read then yeh it can be pretty difficult to read because as said already there are so many ways people like to play sets

Good luck
      Carl
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      easy tell for me is the minraise. obviously it is totally player dependent but i went through a phase of calling them a few months back just to see if it was a set and most of the time it was. if not then it was either 2pair or some crappy air. but 75% of the time it's at least a set and if you don't know what to do when raised, always consider that the raiser is almost never folding his hand. so ask yourself if you really want to go to SD.

there is a big article over on 2+2 about the minraise that i posted here a while back - well worth a read. but yeah, if the guy is a maniac then a minraise isn't half as scary, so player type is more important than any general rule of thumb.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      the turn check-minraise. I HAVE TOP PAIR BEAT

of course keep watching the players closely
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks. Great information here
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Limping Pre and then betting heavy can often be a Set, as said it often depends on the play but I can say that in Micros its usually the Limp/Check-Raise I run into :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness
      Limping Pre and then betting heavy can often be a Set, as said it often depends on the play but I can say that in Micros its usually the Limp/Check-Raise I run into :)
      Limp pre and bet heavy on flop is a good tell imo. And the minraise! Fish often minraise with good hands.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      limp pre flop then a check call on a dry flop, or check raise on a wet flop.

If the turn is blank it will be check call again with a raise on the river.

If the turn co-ordinates with the flop then a cautious player will bet/raise then fold to a reraise, a not so cautious player will probably say 'hell with it' and shove.

Of course its pretty hard to get an exact read on a set, if you take me as an example I play a set differently depending on who it is I'm playing.

I might just check/call
      I might check raise
      I might donk bet/call or donk bet/raise
      Or I might just fire on every street if I'm up against someone who has shown he doesn't give my bets much respect.

So if you see someone with a set then play the hand back to see what they did it wont really tell you that much, if it was me you were looking back at then what I did in that hand wouldn't be what I did the next time I had a set/monster.
    • SanHoser
      SanHoser
      Basic
      Very much player, game and board dependent In the LLSNL games I play in California, a flop check raise or back raise in a raised pot from a tight passive player usually indicates a set, especially if there's a two flush or two to a straight. I've found TAG players like to lead 3!. In live LHE, I've found a turn raise or check raise in a raised pot tends to be a set, as your opponent is waiting for the big bet street to get an extra bet in.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input SanHoser!

I might go play some live cash this summer for the first time!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      <groans>
      I wish I had read this thread last night instead of tonight...