bankroll boost or not?

• 35 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi hvard92,

At the end of the day - it is a personal decision and thus up to you. However, I am just curious to know as to why you want to do this? What is the big hurry to move from NL2 to NL4?

Regards,
      Gary
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Sure. of course you can to be honest the difference in skill between nl2 and nl4 is nnext to nothing so in my opinion go for it :)

good luck

Carl
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      the case is just that i want to move up faster so i can reach higher levels faster. i just don't get that excited when i win 30 cents or something. Before i learned about bankroll management, i moved up to 5-10 cents and it worked very well. I only started with silly 50 bucks tough but i earned from that to 120 in 3 hours. i was pretty happy then, but then i started to join tournaments who costed to much to my bankroll, then i lost alot, got tilted and tried to win my money back in ring games while i was steaming. But i'm glad i found this great site. It helps alot. I learn something new every day here.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      well tbh you will just feel the same if you do that. if you work through nl2, what you will learn by beating that will prepare you for nl4 and you will beat that limit quicker than if you just deposit more to play there.

trust me $4 pots aint that exciting either. if you are looking to build up, then nothing is better than working up through the shit of nl2 and moving up from there. the sense of accomplishment after that first initial step is immense. but as i say knowledge&learning > quick wins.

grinding out at each stake is not exactly the most exciting thing to do so i guess once you get used to a certain limit (like you probably are with nl2) the excitement will go, and the same will be said for nl4, no matter how you get there. so it shouldn't be excitement you seek but learning.

but do as you wish :D and if you can afford it then why not
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      i think its a good idea. there isnt anything you will miss out on by not grinding 50k hands at nl2 its good that you want to move up the limits and as long as you can afford it and areusing a semi decent banroll managent and are studying hard and are prepared to drop down or can afford to redeposit if you run bad then just jump in at nl4 or nl5 or nl10 i wouldnt recommend starting any higher than that though without getting a good number of hands behind you

all the best

Carl
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Hi

i dont see any problem starting at nl4 if you follow the correct bankroll managment

the problem i do see is a very common one with new players is that they want to win a load of money fast and move up the limits at lightning speed which i guess is the end goal of everyone who plays poker

when you are starting off you need to have the correct mindset and in my opinion you have to forget about money and what stakes you are playing

what i mean by this is judge everything by the amount of big blinds or buyins you have and forget all about the money value, this is a longterm game and you have to prepare yourself for the journey

the great part off this game is that like most thing is you start from the bottom levels and work yourself up you will make a load of mistakes and you hopfully will learn from these as you go but they willl not cost you a lot of money, just concerntrate on learning your game and build yourself a solid foundation on which you can build on as you get better and move up,

its like if you build your house on mud but you build a great house it will fall down in the end, but if you build it on solid foundations it will last forever and you can improve and make it as good as you want over the years

good luck
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      I agree with you. I can imagine what a great feeling it must be to reach next level without any more deposits. And i have actually as you say, been care less about the money and just focus on learning and practice. How high do you play?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nefarious26
      Hi

i dont see any problem starting at nl4 if you follow the correct bankroll managment

the problem i do see is a very common one with new players is that they want to win a load of money fast and move up the limits at lightning speed which i guess is the end goal of everyone who plays poker

when you are starting off you need to have the correct mindset and in my opinion you have to forget about money and what stakes you are playing

what i mean by this is judge everything by the amount of big blinds or buyins you have and forget all about the money value, this is a longterm game and you have to prepare yourself for the journey

the great part off this game is that like most thing is you start from the bottom levels and work yourself up you will make a load of mistakes and you hopfully will learn from these as you go but they willl not cost you a lot of money, just concerntrate on learning your game and build yourself a solid foundation on which you can build on as you get better and move up,

its like if you build your house on mud but you build a great house it will fall down in the end, but if you build it on solid foundations it will last forever and you can improve and make it as good as you want over the years

good luck
      Wow, nice post!

Totally agree with all it's content :)
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      thanks. appreciate the answer.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks. Great answer. I'm gonna take note of this
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i took two years off from poker and have started playing again in the last couple of months, i was a big winner at nl 0.25 and moved up to nl 0.50 but couldnt hack it as i had serious tilt issues mainly because of the problems i tried to explain in my previous post

im now playing nl 0.10 i have the money to play much higher but i need to go back to basic and start all over again and build myself a solid foundation and get a good mindset to be able to play and enjoy this game,

i learnt the hard way but if my thinking was like it is now a couple of years ago i would be playing nl100 + and beating it

dont make my and a lot of other players mistakes
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      i have tilt issues too. I have began to punish myself with 10 pushups when i do a mistake so i remember that shouldn't do the same mistake again=P.
    • Zakumii
      Zakumii
      Bronze
      You really sound like you are rushing and aren't putting enough into studying.

As said before the difference between NL2 and NL4 isn't massive but you need to forget about the actual money and think of big bets and buy ins.

You should lay a goal of "I want to grind 30k hands at NL4" to see how you do. Do not think about moving until you have reached that goal. If you grind that much and realize you are losing or are just breaking even then you should realize you're not beating that level and should go back and study more of your hands and try plug your leaks.

You will not mover back up to NL25 in a week or two so you should stop thinking about the past and concentrate on the present and becoming a better player in the long run:)

Z :club:
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey hvard92,

First off, some wonderfull posts here from community, thank you all for your awesomness :f_love:

For me there isn't a huge difference between NL2/NL4, the only reason you should move up imo is if the small raises mean you're not playing that game you think you should be, even then I think the highest limit you should progress to is NL4/NL5, you need to be thinking about improve your game in the smaller rooms so that you can dominate the higher rooms later on.
      You should also look at each hand/pot in BB's not $$, this will allow you to take focus of the amounts and focus on playing poker.

I see you also brought up that you're having an issue with Tilt, if NL2 is too small of a limit for you to "Care" why are you getting tilted when losing small amounts? ;) The fact you're playing at NL2 should give you the motivation to play and win more so that you can progress up the limits.

You should also check out our Stop - Loss Strategy to help you protect that Bankroll of yours. You may also wish to check out alot of our other interesting Psychology & Didactic Articles which will teach you some vital tricks ;)

Be sure to let us know what you choose to do and how you're doing!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi hvard92

I'm not a huge fan of skipping a limit tbh. I'm sticking to my 25BI BRM. If I drop $1 below my 25BI's I move down a limit.

Rather then see it as 30c try to see it as bb. So on nl2 that would mean 15bb. But in the end it's up to you. If you want to play nl4, you just play on nl4.

Regards

RasTweet
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      So if you had 3000$, would you start playing from NL100 ?

Imo you have to make sure that you can beat the previous level and then jump to the next one. But yeah, NL2 is just as NL4. So, if its only for that levels do it.
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Wow. i'm impressed of all the support i get from every post i make here. I'm gonna take note of all what you guys said and thank you very much for all the support i get here. Wasn't expecting that much support. Again, Thanks!!
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Btw. after all i have read here. My final desicion is that i actually think i stick to my NL2 and work my way up. I think it's gonna be a great feeling to know that i have climbed my way up in a decent way. And the feeling of that i have reach the next level is gonna give me alot of confidence and motivation aswell. Thank. You guys. I really appreciate it!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks for the update hvard92!

Have you considered starting a blog?

You should definitely have a think about it and trawl through our blogging section!

Blogging can serve as a great motivative tool and also help you learn from mistakes by talking with like minded players and members.

Best regards,
      Gary